Breast prosthesis

Options
Tkitty
Tkitty Member Posts: 56
Ok ladies, I need some advice. I am not going to have reconstruction due to the IBC as my oncologist didn't recommend it. She said they may not be able to detect any recurrence. So, do you have any advice on what is the most natural looking ones? All I have right now is the Jodee bra that I was sent home from the hospital in after the mastectomy. I feel like a Picasso painting as one side it high and perky and the other side is well, not so perky. I absolutely do not like the pillow thingy, so any likes or dislikes about the silocone ones and what shapes work the best? I would just go without, but my clothes don't seem to lay right without two. I would like people to look at my face and not at my chest.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    my best advice is to go to a
    my best advice is to go to a store where they "fit" you. I go to a medical fitting place when I was a uniboober (now bilateral) it was important to be matched by people who knew what they were doing. My insurance covered it too including bras. I am pretty reserved and did not find it as uncomfortable as I thought. They are professional, and are used to it and truely want you to be happy.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm IBC also so recon at
    I'm IBC also so recon at time of surgery was not an option at that time.

Go to someone who is a certified fitter for pros and bras. There are many different styles/shapes. We are all built differently so different ones fit us each differently. They also fit differently as our body changes in the time after surgery. The one I have was great when I got it almost 2 years ago but it isn't quite as good as it was then as a match. Feb I'll be getting a new one that will be a better match - unless I see the PS beofre then and decide on recon. It is important to be fitted for bras and not just grab one off the shelf that you think will fit.. The last time I got bras I tried on probably 30 different styles/sizes - wound getting one that's a 36 D and the other is a 34 C but both fit great - different stles and different manufacturers.

Don't know if you live in a large area or not - if you do you will have more options of where you go for fittiong and if you aren't comfortable with the first fitter you see - go to another one. Where I live we only have one certified fitter in over 300 miles.

Susan
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I'm IBC also so recon at
    I'm IBC also so recon at time of surgery was not an option at that time.

Go to someone who is a certified fitter for pros and bras. There are many different styles/shapes. We are all built differently so different ones fit us each differently. They also fit differently as our body changes in the time after surgery. The one I have was great when I got it almost 2 years ago but it isn't quite as good as it was then as a match. Feb I'll be getting a new one that will be a better match - unless I see the PS beofre then and decide on recon. It is important to be fitted for bras and not just grab one off the shelf that you think will fit.. The last time I got bras I tried on probably 30 different styles/sizes - wound getting one that's a 36 D and the other is a 34 C but both fit great - different stles and different manufacturers.

Don't know if you live in a large area or not - if you do you will have more options of where you go for fittiong and if you aren't comfortable with the first fitter you see - go to another one. Where I live we only have one certified fitter in over 300 miles.

Susan

Hi, I have one that I
    Hi, I have one that I believe is silicone, very natural looking and squishy.
    I loved it at first and it does even me out, but now I have to admit that it is a little too heavy for me.
    Since I'm not comfortable wearing it, I usually go without it now. It's sad too because it was very expensive. I also went to be fitted by a professional which I recommend.

I only had a lumpectomy with re-excision but lefty is a lot smaller than righty :)
    What I've done now is to buy a bra with the cup size to fit the smaller one and just have to hang out a little on the other side. The things we have to do, right! LOL

I still wear the "chicken cutlet" for special occasions.
    Good luck and hope you find something that works for you.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • Rague
    Options
    Forgot to add - mine is a
    Forgot to add - mine is a gel - very 'natural' feeling. It's quite comfy to wear - I seldom think about it. Personally I still prefer underwire bras as I have always.

Susan
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I'm also IBC, so no
    I'm also IBC, so no reconstruction for me either. I had a bilateral in January.

I agree with others who have said to see a professional fitter. Mine was recommended by the surgeon's staff, so ask if they can recommend someone. If you have a choice of fitters, ask if they can work directly with your insurance so you will not have to be reimbursed...let them deal with all that paperwork. Also ask about exchanges/returns if you are not happy with your prosthesis. (I wore one pair for a week or two, and ended up exchanging it for a different shape that worked better for me.) They will also sew pockets for the prosthesis into a regular bra, so my selection is not limited to official mastectomy bras.

Another way to find a fitter is to search for mastectomy prosthesis include the name of your area. If you don't find one that way, Nordstrom will usually have a certified fitter. If you go the Nordstrom route, call ahead for an appointment...the department is usually a little hidden and they may only have one certified fitter on staff.

As for the prosthesis itself, mine is made my Amoena (I think I spelled that right). It's some kind of gel/silicone/stuff. And I'm quite happy with them, after several months they still fit well and show no signs of wear and tear. I've worn them in lots of situations...100 degree heat, swimming, travel, etc.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Rague
    Options

I'm also IBC, so no
    I'm also IBC, so no reconstruction for me either. I had a bilateral in January.

I agree with others who have said to see a professional fitter. Mine was recommended by the surgeon's staff, so ask if they can recommend someone. If you have a choice of fitters, ask if they can work directly with your insurance so you will not have to be reimbursed...let them deal with all that paperwork. Also ask about exchanges/returns if you are not happy with your prosthesis. (I wore one pair for a week or two, and ended up exchanging it for a different shape that worked better for me.) They will also sew pockets for the prosthesis into a regular bra, so my selection is not limited to official mastectomy bras.

Another way to find a fitter is to search for mastectomy prosthesis include the name of your area. If you don't find one that way, Nordstrom will usually have a certified fitter. If you go the Nordstrom route, call ahead for an appointment...the department is usually a little hidden and they may only have one certified fitter on staff.

As for the prosthesis itself, mine is made my Amoena (I think I spelled that right). It's some kind of gel/silicone/stuff. And I'm quite happy with them, after several months they still fit well and show no signs of wear and tear. I've worn them in lots of situations...100 degree heat, swimming, travel, etc.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda

Nordstroms - what' that? No
    Nordstroms - what' that? No such luck in this area!

I've orn mine in sub zero F temps and in 100++ temps in Lakota Sweat Lodges with no problems.

Susan
  • bayareamom
    bayareamom Member Posts: 2
    Options
    prosthesis
    I a not sure if I am having reconstruction and id I do, it won;t be until I am all done with treatment. My insurance paid for one pair of boobs and three bras. Total value-over 800 dollars. I have to say, they look pretty good. I was a double a before but went up to a full a or small b, I think. The prosthesis don't go by cup size, they have a number size. I got a size 3. Mine are amoena and feel fine. Don't even notice them,
    good luck!