nasty taste

Options
jim and i
jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
If he tries something the taste gags him and makes him nauseous. Then he has an aversion to it and won't ever try it again. I have tried fruit or veg smoothies, magic mineral broth, soups, yogurt, you name it. I think that the lack of natural minerals, enzemes and vitamins is slowing down recovery. To me it is like existing on a vitamin pill since he only gets the PEG formula. I have even suggested puting healthy homemade juice through the PEG but he won't let me because he thinks it will make him sick to his stomach.

Any suggestions? Anyone else faced this same problem?

Debbie

Comments

  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    exactly what he needs
    Some very smart science types put that formula together and it's exactly what the doctor ordered. Back off a little right now and let him subsist on the formula for a week or so. He will let you know what and when. Bite thy tongue a little longer!
  • NJR
    NJR Member Posts: 82
    Options
    PEG Formula
    That he is getting the Ensure or "PEG Formula" down and keeping it there should be cause for celebration Debbie. Some cannot do that and the fact is, he can live for years on that formula where he could not on "Healthy Juice." In fact, that juice could be just about the worst thing you could do to him as almost all are high in acids which I found to be highly incompatible with alkaloid chemotherapy drugs and impossible to get past a mouth full of radiation sores.

    The single most common mistake caregivers and family members make is applying their own taste and ideas as to what is healthy for a cancer patient. I knew instinctively that certain items would make me ill without even needing to try them. He isn't just thinking it, he knows.

    Also, do keep in mind if you try and force your choices on him by nagging or trickery as was done to me, you run the risk of ruining that food for him forever.
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    NJR said:

    PEG Formula
    That he is getting the Ensure or "PEG Formula" down and keeping it there should be cause for celebration Debbie. Some cannot do that and the fact is, he can live for years on that formula where he could not on "Healthy Juice." In fact, that juice could be just about the worst thing you could do to him as almost all are high in acids which I found to be highly incompatible with alkaloid chemotherapy drugs and impossible to get past a mouth full of radiation sores.

    The single most common mistake caregivers and family members make is applying their own taste and ideas as to what is healthy for a cancer patient. I knew instinctively that certain items would make me ill without even needing to try them. He isn't just thinking it, he knows.

    Also, do keep in mind if you try and force your choices on him by nagging or trickery as was done to me, you run the risk of ruining that food for him forever.

    not forcing him
    Jim wants to eat and get of the PEG. His swallow therapist and doctors want him to try to swallow smoothies and juices, and believe it or not I don't nag or force food on him. He is the one who wants to try different things but once he does they taste bad which frustrates him and turns him way from food. He wants to get back to normal and thought the "real food" would help him get some energy.

    Debbie
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    jim and i said:

    not forcing him
    Jim wants to eat and get of the PEG. His swallow therapist and doctors want him to try to swallow smoothies and juices, and believe it or not I don't nag or force food on him. He is the one who wants to try different things but once he does they taste bad which frustrates him and turns him way from food. He wants to get back to normal and thought the "real food" would help him get some energy.

    Debbie

    Hi Debbie
    Believe me it is no fun to eat and everything taste like an old shoe and it you could taste the shoe it would be great. His taste is going to come back but little at a time; I am not sure why on some of us it is only a few months and others a lot longer. Just keep working with him, my advice it to pray with him every day in the morning at worship time asking God to help restore Jims taste. The read Hebrews 11:1 with him, amen

    Praying for the best in taste for Jim
    Hondo
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

    Hi Debbie
    Believe me it is no fun to eat and everything taste like an old shoe and it you could taste the shoe it would be great. His taste is going to come back but little at a time; I am not sure why on some of us it is only a few months and others a lot longer. Just keep working with him, my advice it to pray with him every day in the morning at worship time asking God to help restore Jims taste. The read Hebrews 11:1 with him, amen

    Praying for the best in taste for Jim
    Hondo

    Thanks Hondo
    Sometimes we preachers need a reminder and to practice what we preach. Thanks for the Hebrew reminder.

    Blessings,
    Debbie