energy

Options
tceleste
tceleste Member Posts: 10
I finished my first taxol/carbo and the neulasta and had no idea the shot would make me hurt so much later because my sister who had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma had the shots and they did not hurt her. She finally let me in on the fact that she was on morphine at the time. I was taking ultracet but finally had to start percocet every 4 hours. I ran a fever of 100 and got a very red face for three days. Then most of the pain went away, my face turned normal color and I was allowed to take meloxicam for the fever. What I was left with was so much energy that I cannot be still. I have cleaned as much as I can with arthritis. I have shined all the silver. I have vacuumed twice in three days because I have a light vacuum cleaner and washed clothes four times. This all in four days after the pain stopped. But I cannot keep this up because it hurts my poor old joints. When I got my first blood work back after a week my white blood count was 19,000. But my red blood count is abnormally low but not that much. My point is I guess is that nothing has happened the way I thought it would and I am so puzzled. I had a port placement by a physician assistant, which hurt a lot and bled on my bed and now have an ugly scar in two places on my neck and chest. I seem to have intense emotionial response to everything so I have to go around watching what I say. Does this sound like what happens on chemo? Should I just expect it to be this way until the end of February when I have my sixth and last cycle?

Sorry if I sound like I am whining. I just am so confused.

Thanks for any help.

Tceleste

I was diagnosed in October with ovarian cancer stage IIIb and had my ovaries, tubes and omentum removed. No nodal involvement but there was cancer cells in the pelvic wash.

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Tceleste:
    If you are taking

Tceleste:

If you are taking taxol, then you must have to premed the night before? If so, then it is the steroids that are giving you all that energy. I was allergic to taxol so they switched me to gemzar. Two days after my treatment I would be completel exhausted.

When I had my port place, they first part I was awake, the second part they put me out. But recently I had it removed and I was awake the whole time. I ended up getting an allergic reaction to the steri strips and ended up with blisters.

The scars eventually go away. The higher scar was probably for the placement line. Sometimes you may just want to cry. It is ok. But after awhile, believe it or not, you may begin to laugh at the irony of such stuff.

Also, my family is prone to arthritis. I had a lot of painful periods during my treatment. (I still get some during weather changes).

Something that you mentioned.... about watching what you say. The day of my treatment I would just rattle on....I remember that know and I would talk incessantly - lol.

I hope everything improves for you. Take advantage of that energy!

My best to you.

Kathy
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Kaleena said:

Tceleste:
    If you are taking

Tceleste:

If you are taking taxol, then you must have to premed the night before? If so, then it is the steroids that are giving you all that energy. I was allergic to taxol so they switched me to gemzar. Two days after my treatment I would be completel exhausted.

When I had my port place, they first part I was awake, the second part they put me out. But recently I had it removed and I was awake the whole time. I ended up getting an allergic reaction to the steri strips and ended up with blisters.

The scars eventually go away. The higher scar was probably for the placement line. Sometimes you may just want to cry. It is ok. But after awhile, believe it or not, you may begin to laugh at the irony of such stuff.

Also, my family is prone to arthritis. I had a lot of painful periods during my treatment. (I still get some during weather changes).

Something that you mentioned.... about watching what you say. The day of my treatment I would just rattle on....I remember that know and I would talk incessantly - lol.

I hope everything improves for you. Take advantage of that energy!

My best to you.

Kathy

Steroids
    It's probably the steroids that are affecting your moods--or maybe low blood sugar. With all that activity, you might forget to eat!

I opted out of the pre-treatment steroids--they were too rough on me. I agreed to the Benedryl & said to hold the steroid unless I really need that. So far, I haven't had any allergic reactions.
  • ona
    ona Member Posts: 8
    Options
    I was allergic to taxoterre.
    I was allergic to taxoterre. I had to use steroids. Using steroids caused cysts and fat mass on my liver.
    See if any other alternative can be offered to you.
    I also experienced red face.
    On my IP port I had a bad infection and I was hospitalized for about 3-days.
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    You're not whining
    and it sounds like the steroids kicked in. I've had LOTS of chemo and neulasta shots. Please let your doctors know about all your reactions for they sometimes will adjust your meds accordingly. I know that my body needs lots of rest after chemo and I have to force myself to rest, drink plenty of water and eat small meals every couple of hours. I have to plan in advance so that I'll get the rest my body needs. I gather netflix movies, audiobooks from the library, books, games, handsewing...... anything so that I'll stay put and the days after chemo will go by. Oh, I hate the port scars also, but I promise that they fade with time.
    (((HUGS))) Maria