Quick question

Options
Hi all
Just a quick question regarding my hubbie who is stg iv with mets to the lungs, he has been doing really well but is finding he has pain in his hips and knees, says he feels like an old man, sitting still is tough but too much movement is also causing pain, has anyone else had problems in these areas? he had a scan about a month ago and that showed there had been no new organs involved, would the CT scan show if the cancer had spread to the bone or am I just being paranoid and this is not related to the cancer at all, he is only 45 years young so kindof ruling out arthritis, he's never had this before, I checked his feet to make sure there was no swelling, and also asked about pain between his shoulder blades as I know from here that is par for the course, he says only intermittently and more a quick pain that subsides whereas the hip and knee are causing him pain constantly, has anyone any ideas, we see the Onc in just over a week so will ask then, just curious if anyone else has had pain in these areas I can't for the life of me think how EC can cause pain in the hips and knees, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ann

Comments

• ritawaite13
    ritawaite13 Member Posts: 236
    Options
    Sorry Ann
    I've got nothing to really say but I'm feeling like I needed to reply to your post because no one else has done so yet. I think I would definately ask the doctor about any new complaints though because it's always better to be informed than to be out there imagining the worst.
    Hugs to you
    Rita
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    Options

Sorry Ann
    I've got nothing to really say but I'm feeling like I needed to reply to your post because no one else has done so yet. I think I would definately ask the doctor about any new complaints though because it's always better to be informed than to be out there imagining the worst.
    Hugs to you
    Rita

We haven't had any
    We haven't had any experience with that. I wonder if maybe he is getting less exercise and just getting stiff. If the doc finds nothing wrong, maybe he could order some physical therapy and get some appropriate exercises going. Also, when we were about that age, we started taking Osteo Biflex and it really helps with knees especially. Our oncologist is a very strict believer in not using most supplements, but she says that is OK. Might be worth asking about if yours has no other ideas.
  • jojoshort
    jojoshort Member Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi Ann
    I'm wondering if the chemo maybe took a toll on his joints. Steve also had mets to lungs but I don't recall his having hip/knee pain, only the leg pain associated with oxaliplatin which subsided after her quit that.
    Jo-ann
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Options
    here's what I read...
    How are bone metastases diagnosed?
    Sometimes, bone metastases are found before they have a chance to cause any symptoms. If you are diagnosed with cancer, your doctor may order lab tests and imaging tests (such as x-rays or bone scans) to see how far the cancer has spread. This may be done before, during, and after treatment. These tests may show bone metastases.

In other cases, a symptom such as bone pain may be the first sign of bone metastases.

Signs and symptoms of bone metastases

Bone pain

Bone pain is often the first symptom of cancer that has spread to the bone. The pain often comes and goes at first. It tends to be worse at night and may be relieved by movement. Later on, it can become constant and may be worse during activity.

It is important to tell your doctor about bone pain right away. The bone might be so weakened that it will break. This can often be prevented if the bone metastasis is found early. Your doctor will want to x-ray the painful area and may do other imaging tests. Other diseases, such as bone infections, arthritis, or just being very active can also make bones hurt.
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Options
    jojoshort said:

Hi Ann
    I'm wondering if the chemo maybe took a toll on his joints. Steve also had mets to lungs but I don't recall his having hip/knee pain, only the leg pain associated with oxaliplatin which subsided after her quit that.
    Jo-ann

lung involvement....
    Someone tell ME what metastasis to the lungs 'feels' like? How did you KNOW this or is it only by a scan/CT/PET?

Eric
  • jojoshort
    jojoshort Member Posts: 230 Member
    Options

lung involvement....
    Someone tell ME what metastasis to the lungs 'feels' like? How did you KNOW this or is it only by a scan/CT/PET?

Eric

Mets to lungs
    Found on a C/T scan and confirmed with a lung biopsy.
    No symptoms at all until weeks/months after diagnosis.
    When Steve found out he was Stage 4b mets to lungs he booked a cottage in the Keys (with a sailboat!) for six weeks. Felt great, had tons of fun, lots of family and friends visiting. Best thing the onc. doc ever saw!
    It wasn't until say 3 months later after the C/T scan that he started having shortness of breath. He would say later that he never got a satisfying deep breath. The loss of quality breath eventually affected his ability to be mobile, and the last 6 weeks he needed to be in dry air conditioning, on steroids and ativan and eventually morphine to ease his breathing.
    That cutie pie never lost his smile though :)
    Enjoy your Sunday in the sun,
    Jo-Ann
  • Ericalynn
    Ericalynn Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Nuclear Medicine Bone Scan
    The best way to see Mets to the bone is a bone scan. The test is relatively simple. The patient is injected with an Isotope (radiation) and then they can leave the Imaging center and return 4-6 hours later for the scan. You lay on an imaging table and NM camera detects the radiation in your body and produces an image.
    Let us know how appointment goes with the onc.

Erica
  • lilrusty
    lilrusty Member Posts: 49
    Options
    jojoshort said:

Hi Ann
    Jo-ann

Leg cramps
    Hi Jo-ann,
    My husband is stage iv on his seventh round of chemo. For the last four days he has been complaing of lower leg cramps. This is the first time he has complained. He is on the oxaliplatin 5-fu and leucovorin. Is there any advice for this? Any information will be gratefully appreciated.
    Love,
    Chrissy