Options
2»

Comments

• jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Options
    jtl said:

Prevident
    Where are you getting Prevident 5000? I going to get a script but when I looked online it the best price was about $12 for about 3.5 oz. I haven't checked to see if I can get a better deal using my insurance. I suppose the price isn't bad if it saves your teeth.
    John

Generic
    Picked up the generic equivalent of Prevident and it was only $2 under my insurance plan so that is a good deal. The name is SF 5000 Plus if anyone is interested.
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    jtl said:

Generic
    Picked up the generic equivalent of Prevident and it was only $2 under my insurance plan so that is a good deal. The name is SF 5000 Plus if anyone is interested.

same
    that is what i use and a wonderful price... i pay 5$
  • Hal61
    Hal61 Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Looking trim Steven
    Hi Steve, good to see you. I'm at the frivilously irresponsible end of the spectrum, and as such, am acting as a control group. My dentist recommentd Prevadent early in my treament and I used it for a while. Then I quit. I do brush many times a day with the rotary brush, concentrating on the gumline. I also floss or use a specialized tooth pick called StemUDent to remove stuff. Ratrick and others have convinced me to get a waterpick, so I will be adding that to my regimen, but I've not used fouride, and probably wont.

It's not because I'm lazy--which I am; but, in Kurbick's 1964 cautionary tale "Dr. Strangelove," Sterling Hayden as Brig. General Jack Ripper gives clear warning of the dangers of flouridation administered at a much lower level that either trays or Prevadent.

Best, Hal
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    jtl said:

Prevident
    Where are you getting Prevident 5000? I going to get a script but when I looked online it the best price was about $12 for about 3.5 oz. I haven't checked to see if I can get a better deal using my insurance. I suppose the price isn't bad if it saves your teeth.
    John

I've used prevident 5000 for almost 14 years
    It has gone through the usual downsizing that all products seem to go through. A tube used to be 2.2 ounces, now it is 1.8. My insurance doesn't cover it, and I'm paying about $14 for one tube. Where are you getting it exactly? I'll do a websearch, but at the price you are quoting, I'll buy it wherever I can get it.

Thanks.
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

keep it going
    i did not start to see my big part of damage and decay start happening until approx. 4 years post treatment.

Keep the cleaning and multiple daily cleaning.

John

breakdowns as I see it are longer term side effect

I suspect you are right about this
    I've been meticulous about my dental health since iradiation over 13 years ago. Lost only one back molar due to sudden breakdown of the gumline due to a food impaction. Other than that, I've had no real problems. I've seen the same dentist for many of these years, so he and his hygienist are familiar with my teeth and gums. I have a number of significant pockets, but they don't change over time. Most were there before radiation, and did get worse during radiation itself. They simply haven't worsened since.

Saw a new dentist at the university the other day. He was alarmed at my loss of bone in themandible, and suggested pulling five teeth in advance of my upcoming second radiation. My ENT oncologist, and the hyperbarics doctor overruled him. I'm not overly alarmed by this disagreement. I can see this as going either way. I'm going to get my radiation, and let my local guy continue his surveillance as before. I think there is a great risk I'll need more done in the future, and I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Nor to more sessions in the hyperbarics chamber. That was expensive, and a total pain in the rear.

Just not crossing any of these bridges until I have to.

Pat
  • jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Options

I've used prevident 5000 for almost 14 years
    It has gone through the usual downsizing that all products seem to go through. A tube used to be 2.2 ounces, now it is 1.8. My insurance doesn't cover it, and I'm paying about $14 for one tube. Where are you getting it exactly? I'll do a websearch, but at the price you are quoting, I'll buy it wherever I can get it.

Thanks.

Prevident
    I is indeed 1.8 oz. The generic equivalent is SF 5000 Plus which should be less $. I brush with Biotene, floss, use the water pic and use the SF 5000 in the evening before bed.
  • navy261991
    navy261991 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Trays
    Per my dentist prescription I use a .2% sodium floride rinse every evening. Swish in mouth for one minute. I also floss using the flossing sticks once a day. The sodium floride is available at the Walmart Pharmacy at a cost of $14 for a month supply,

Dave