Exciting progress in Esophageal Cancer research

Options
All,

Each year Kim Priest has helped coordinate through ECAN - the declaration of April as Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month. She introduced me to ECAN and this is a group that has been fighting to bring awareness to EC. Today I received an email below about exciting news I wanted to share with everyone. Kim will probably be looking for volunteers soon - I have Delaware covered and we had 25 other States last year . . . wouldn't it be great to get all 50 states. Love to everyone - Cindy

From ECAN -

I couldn’t wait to share exciting news about the spectacular success ECAN has had in advancing valuable medical research! After more than a year of persistent advocacy by ECAN, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) added Esophageal Cancer to the list of cancers included in the groundbreaking work of The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) initiative. And the research is about to begin!

Mapping the genome of Esophageal Cancer will dramatically improve chances of finding effective treatments for individual patients, identifying pathways to improved prevention and early detection and, ultimately, a day when nobody has to die of Esophageal Cancer. TCGA already has produced significant findings in brain and ovarian cancer.

NCI invited ECAN to take part in the Disease Working Group that is planning this important study. I was actually moved to tears while participating this summer with the distinguished researchers collaborating to make this dream a reality. The commitment to this work by world-renowned doctors whose research I came to know while seeking something to save my husband’s life simply overwhelmed and elated me. If ever ECAN’s work made a difference, I saw it firsthand that day.

TCGA’s research in Esophageal Cancer may begin before year’s end. We will continue to support it in any way we can. But, until researchers can find better ways of detecting and treating this devastating disease, ECAN will continue its efforts to ensure that everyone at risk knows that Heartburn can cause Cancer and that screening can save lives. By identifying this devastating disease at the precancerous stage known as Barrett’s Esophagus, new outpatient procedures now mean it can be cured before it ever becomes cancer.

ECAN initiated the designation of April as Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month. This year, our Awareness Month Reach-Out Kits, featuring posters, brochures and wristbands with the Heartburn can cause Cancer message, reached thousands in nearly every state - and other nations, as well.

ECAN’s efforts resulted in 26 states declaring April Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month, triggering extensive media coverage about our volunteers who made it happen. In 2012, we want the U.S. Congress and all 50 states on board! Be a volunteer in your state.

Our challenge is great. Even though Esophageal Cancer is the western world’s fastest growing cancer diagnosis, few people who are at risk even understand the link between Heartburn and Cancer.
But we are making progress - just think of what the TCGA research could mean for patients in the future! Your continued interest in ECAN’s work is greatly appreciated. And, with you, WeCAN save lives.
With gratitude,

Mindy Mintz Mordecai
Founder and President
Esophageal Cancer Action Network
http://ecan.convio.net/site/PageServer?pagename=Home

Comments

• Bobs1wife
    Bobs1wife Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Very Exciting News!
    PROGRESS! Thank you Kim, Mindy and Cindy for all of your hard work and ECAN for getting this milestone accomplished. It is so hard to get the awareness that is needed, and YOU ARE making a difference. I would like to request Nebraska's proclamation again next year. 50 state goal is an awesome goal! Linda
  • ritawaite13
    ritawaite13 Member Posts: 236
    Options
    WOW
    That is very exciting news! I wasn't even aware of ECAN. If you need help in Minnesota, I'm in.
    Hugs
    Rita
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    I'm in....
    WONDERFUL news :)

If you need help in Iowa, count me in!

Terry
  • K_ann1015
    K_ann1015 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    to all affected by EC- tears & hope
    thanks to Cindy & Mindy for sharing--

I have been overwhelmed with so many things & have not been on csn much. I have been out of town 3X to NC from here in Louisville KY tobe with my mom & dad. First another hospitalization---ended up being complications from EC---then the heartbreaking news that hospice had to be called & then to NC for the funeral services. ---the great news is that my dad got to spend his last weekend with his 3 kids & 11 grandkids & was fully aware---even if not in great physical shape.

Anyway---very painful time as so many are all to aware. My dad was always trying to help others---& I have committed to do the same. One of his requests before he passed was making a difference so others didn't have to go through what he (& his younger brother!!!!) went thru.

We suggest you share the ECAN.org website with all family & friends---to educate, share support & to advance the cause ---getting more research to make a difference in the diagnosis, prevention & treatment of EC! You can also make an honor or memorial tribute in a loved one's name (see right hand side of website).

My heart breaks - not only for my family---but for ALL of you that are going through this as well. We can make a difference---even through our tears.....
  • Ucsf_smile
    Ucsf_smile Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Kardashians?
    Does ECAN have interest in collaborating with the Kardashians to rais awareness about EC? I know their dad died from EC and they are in a great position to promote EC awareness.