Test Results after Treatment

Tammygoals
Tammygoals Member Posts: 6
I just went for my first PET Scan after treatment. It has been 4 months since treatment. I had a biopsy 2 weeks ago which came out clean. The news from my PET Scan are not 100% good. There is some low level activity in the iliac chain lymph node as well as some new activity - very low level. All my three doctors say it is nothing to worry about since I just had a biopsy and it could be because I am still healing from that as well as from the radiation. They say that PET Scans show when you have any thing not necessarily still cancer. But, I am a little worried. they will do another PET in three months.
Has anyone had this?

Comments

• mxperry220
    mxperry220 Member Posts: 493 Member
    No Need To Worry
    I am 34 months post treatment. My PET scans showed an elavated level pf metobolic activity post treatment. The oncologlist said this was normal due to the effect of the radiation. He was not concerned. My readings were 3.2-4.1 on four of the PET scans. The radiation can affect the PET scan readings. He said my reading would never be zero due to the effect of the massive radiation I had. As time goes by the doctors expect the reading to diminish which it did. The PET scan picks up any residual activity after radiation treatment. I was alarmed at first just as you are. The PET scan is just another tool the doctors use to help them monitor the patient. Since you had biopsy I would think you are fine.

Hope this helps.
  • mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Tammygoals
    The good thing about PET scans is that they pick up everything! The bad thing about PET scans is that they pick up everything! That "everything" can include inflammation and radiation damage. I had my first post-treatment PET about 5 weeks after my treatment ended, at the request of my med onc. My rad onc wanted to wait because he knew that there would be activity in the treatment area. He was right and it threw me into a panic. I have had quite a few PET scans in the last 3+ years and there always seems to be a little activity in the anal area, which is always dismissed as inflammation. My quarterly rectal exams and anascopes have all shown this to be true and no evidence of return of the cancer or residual disease. I think your doctors are correct, especially since you recently had a negative biopsy. It is most likely radiation effects. I'm glad they'll be doing another scan in 3 months and I hope that at that time, there is nothing but normal results!
  • Tammygoals

No Need To Worry
    I am 34 months post treatment. My PET scans showed an elavated level pf metobolic activity post treatment. The oncologlist said this was normal due to the effect of the radiation. He was not concerned. My readings were 3.2-4.1 on four of the PET scans. The radiation can affect the PET scan readings. He said my reading would never be zero due to the effect of the massive radiation I had. As time goes by the doctors expect the reading to diminish which it did. The PET scan picks up any residual activity after radiation treatment. I was alarmed at first just as you are. The PET scan is just another tool the doctors use to help them monitor the patient. Since you had biopsy I would think you are fine.

Hope this helps.

Mine says that the external
    Mine says that the external iliac chain lymph node remains demonstrated with slight increased FDG, SUV 2.85 compared to prior of 2.08 measuring 0.8 x 0.6 cm compared to prior of 1.0x1.2 cm.
    also there is a focal FDG uptake along the left external iliac chain corresponding to several new subcentimer lymph nodes collectively measuring 1.2 cm in its shor axis.

do you know what FDG means?
  • Tammygoals

No Need To Worry

Hope this helps.

Mine says that the external iliac chain lymph node remains demonstrated with slight increased FDG, SUV 2.85 compared to prior of 2.08 measuring 0.8 x 0.6 cm compared to prior of 1.0x1.2 cm.
    also there is a focal FDG uptake along the left external iliac chain corresponding to several new subcentimer lymph nodes collectively measuring 1.2 cm in its shor axis.

• Tammygoals

No Need To Worry

Hope this helps.

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member

FDG
    This stands for Fludeoxyglucose, which is the radioactive glucose injected in the veins prior to a PET scan. Cancer cells are attracted to glucose, thus any areas that show uptake of the glucose may indicate cancer (or also inflammation or radiation damage).

It sounds like your SUV increased but that the size of the node previously noted decreased. However, with the notice of new nodes, I would definitely be requesting a repeat scan in 3 months (or whatever your doctor deems an appropriate time).
  • shirlann54
    shirlann54 Member Posts: 162
    Tommygoals
    I had a Pet scan 3 mo out It showed activity too in the anal .I had a biopsy a mo befor and it was good .My Dr's were worred so they sent me to another Dr he did two more biopsys .Didn't show anything thank god.I wasnt healed from the radiation yet .I'll be glad when you get your next Pet over with .So you dont have to worry about it...shirley