Had ct scan, a possible new spot on vaginal cuff

Options
Sunnyjh
Sunnyjh Member Posts: 31
I am a part of gog 213 study. Been on avastin for ten months post first reoccurence that was treated with carbo, taxol and avastin. Ovarian cancer 3c diagnosed Dec 2008. Had a ct scan today, they saw a suspicious one centimeter soft node at the top left of the vaginal cuff. Will get ca125 tomorrow, and see my doctor Thursday. Anyone out there with something similar? Thanks judy

Comments

• Sunnyjh
    Options
    Spot on vaginal cuff
    Did not get any info from anyone out there, but got the results of a physical exam and ca125. Ca Was up a couple of points to 16.4, always a good indicator for me in the past. Well in normal range,yay! And the nurse could not feel the described node. So we will watch ca until next scan and keep checking the vaginal cuff area. I too am on avastin for 21 treatments. So watch and wait. Judy
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Sunnyjh said:

Spot on vaginal cuff
    Did not get any info from anyone out there, but got the results of a physical exam and ca125. Ca Was up a couple of points to 16.4, always a good indicator for me in the past. Well in normal range,yay! And the nurse could not feel the described node. So we will watch ca until next scan and keep checking the vaginal cuff area. I too am on avastin for 21 treatments. So watch and wait. Judy

Judy:
    You may want to ask if

Judy:

You may want to ask if that soft node was on any previous CT scans. I had a soft node which no one mentioned to me until I started having some pain and then they indicated that it was there from my initial surgery. I did get a positive biopsy on it but when it was removed the results were negative. I had the soft node for approximately five years.

Glad your CA is still in the normal range.

Kathy
  • Sunnyjh
    Options
    Kaleena said:

Judy:
    You may want to ask if

Judy:

You may want to ask if that soft node was on any previous CT scans. I had a soft node which no one mentioned to me until I started having some pain and then they indicated that it was there from my initial surgery. I did get a positive biopsy on it but when it was removed the results were negative. I had the soft node for approximately five years.

Glad your CA is still in the normal range.

Kathy

Thanks
    Thanks Kathy, the cat scan did say not seen in previous scans. I get a scan every three months because I am on study. On examination, my nurse could not feel it. So it's wait to see if ca125 goes up, or if she feels it at the next exam. At least if they could get to this fairly easy. But I would have to discontinue the avastin, and I don't want to unless absolutely necessary! Judy
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Sunnyjh said:

Thanks
    Thanks Kathy, the cat scan did say not seen in previous scans. I get a scan every three months because I am on study. On examination, my nurse could not feel it. So it's wait to see if ca125 goes up, or if she feels it at the next exam. At least if they could get to this fairly easy. But I would have to discontinue the avastin, and I don't want to unless absolutely necessary! Judy

Soft nodule
    Dear Judy

I don't know if you have the answer for this question: if the nurse couldn't feel the nodule, why is it called "soft"? Maybe that's a radiology term but it seems strange to me that something can be determined to be "soft" on a scan...and it is called soft to distinguish it from a calcified nodule (which would NOT be soft?).

I have a nodule in about the same place--no one called it anything more than a "nodule" and it is big enough to be palpable. After the debulking surgery, there was a tumor the size of a lemon in the same area (as well as others that grew post-op). The large tumor shrunk to microscopic size after chemo but now it's back.

Since I have secondary peritoneal cancer also, the doctor has not given me an option to have surgery again. Maybe you'll have better luck than me since you just have that one area to be concerned with.
  • Sunnyjh
    Options
    carolenk said:

Soft nodule
    Dear Judy

I don't know if you have the answer for this question: if the nurse couldn't feel the nodule, why is it called "soft"? Maybe that's a radiology term but it seems strange to me that something can be determined to be "soft" on a scan...and it is called soft to distinguish it from a calcified nodule (which would NOT be soft?).

I have a nodule in about the same place--no one called it anything more than a "nodule" and it is big enough to be palpable. After the debulking surgery, there was a tumor the size of a lemon in the same area (as well as others that grew post-op). The large tumor shrunk to microscopic size after chemo but now it's back.

Since I have secondary peritoneal cancer also, the doctor has not given me an option to have surgery again. Maybe you'll have better luck than me since you just have that one area to be concerned with.

Soft nodule
    Went back and looked at cat scan report. The report said I'll defined 1cm soft tissue nodule adjacent to the left of vaginal cuff is not definitively identified on prior exams. Sorry to hear your news hope for the best. Judy
  • carolenk
    Options
    Sunnyjh said:

Soft nodule
    Went back and looked at cat scan report. The report said I'll defined 1cm soft tissue nodule adjacent to the left of vaginal cuff is not definitively identified on prior exams. Sorry to hear your news hope for the best. Judy

Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification. The soft tissue description probably is to to distinguish it from a lymph node or nodule located on an organ or other structure.

I appreciate your encouragement--it's hard to stay positive when one knows too much information and at the same time, too little.
  • carolenk
    Options
    Sunnyjh said:

Soft nodule

Thanks again
    Oops! Double post.
  • Sunnyjh
    Options
    carolenk said:

Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification. The soft tissue description probably is to to distinguish it from a lymph node or nodule located on an organ or other structure.

I appreciate your encouragement--it's hard to stay positive when one knows too much information and at the same time, too little.

Let's stay in touch
    Lets stay in touch all that are interested and see if any thing plays out and when.Judy