GI Chen!!!!! Or maybe Sinead....

chenheart
chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
On Friday night, while giving the grandbaby her bath, my scalp started ACHING~ having gone through chemo before, I knew what it meant! I pulled on my hair, and yup~it all came out in my hands! A friend of mine, who owns a salon opened her place just for me late yesterday PM to shave my head and style my wig. I am a hat, bandana wearer, but even here in California it is in the 30's at night, so I know I will be getting COLD! Thus, the wig. Aliyah was out with her mama while I was at the salon, and for the rest of the evening I wore the wig just to get used to it ( ugh!)

So...this AM I was just wearing my bandana, Aliyah had not seen the new, GI Chen. I pulled off my bandana, I put her hands on my head, and she grinned BIG and then laughed and laughed and laughed! I was so relieved...a 2 year old cares less about how we look, they care about who we are! Wish we could all remember this Life Lesson and act accordingly.
Aside from that~I realize I now look like her favorie Sprout Network character~ Calliou!! She probably thinks she is keeping company with a famous Canadian TV star! LOL LOL

So, no, I don't like being bald this time any better than I did the last time, but I must say, having the sweet baby girl not noticing nor caring in the slightest is making the transition so much easier! Think I will hang out at a day-care or pre-school for the next 6 months!! LOL

Hugs,
Chen♥

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Claudia sending you a big hug
    I laughed and tears were dripping from my eyes. We need to look for positive and baby's smile done just that.
    As for hair, we all know they will grow back and we will laugh again, watching the first fussy air on your had.
    New Flower
  • chenheart

Claudia sending you a big hug
    I laughed and tears were dripping from my eyes. We need to look for positive and baby's smile done just that.
    As for hair, we all know they will grow back and we will laugh again, watching the first fussy air on your had.
    New Flower

Thank you so much, New
    Thank you so much, New Flower! I was really worried that Aliyah was going to be afraid of me, or that somehow our relationship would change as I don't look like "me." But I guess I do look like me! It is truly amazing that after the first silly laughter, she hasn't tried to pull off the bandana or touch my head again ( not that I would mind). It's just that she honesty doesn't notice, or if she does notice, she doesn't care! I feel soooo much better! I can emotionally relax. It is a milestone in my recovery.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    chenheart said:

Thank you so much, New
    Thank you so much, New Flower! I was really worried that Aliyah was going to be afraid of me, or that somehow our relationship would change as I don't look like "me." But I guess I do look like me! It is truly amazing that after the first silly laughter, she hasn't tried to pull off the bandana or touch my head again ( not that I would mind). It's just that she honesty doesn't notice, or if she does notice, she doesn't care! I feel soooo much better! I can emotionally relax. It is a milestone in my recovery.

Been there..
    When I was bald the first time, our youngest was just two...the older kids thought it was "cool"...the youngest who we refer to as "wild thing" seemed a bit confused at first..he'd see me with my bald head , then my wig, and at times a scarf....finally in his prescence, I took off my wig...he stared at first, then laughed and promptly plopped my wig on his head....never a problem after that...it is amazing that these precious, little Angels, take us for who we are...hair or no hair....Some adults could take lessons from them....they love us for who we are.....my grands are my best medicine!!!

Wishing you well, Chen in this go round of chemo...May I ask what this clinical trial drug is?....if you remember I was in one in Jun/July...but it was oral.....

Best wishes and big hugs,
    Nancy
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    MAJW said:

Been there..
    When I was bald the first time, our youngest was just two...the older kids thought it was "cool"...the youngest who we refer to as "wild thing" seemed a bit confused at first..he'd see me with my bald head , then my wig, and at times a scarf....finally in his prescence, I took off my wig...he stared at first, then laughed and promptly plopped my wig on his head....never a problem after that...it is amazing that these precious, little Angels, take us for who we are...hair or no hair....Some adults could take lessons from them....they love us for who we are.....my grands are my best medicine!!!

Wishing you well, Chen in this go round of chemo...May I ask what this clinical trial drug is?....if you remember I was in one in Jun/July...but it was oral.....

Nancy

Dearest Chen,
    I am so glad your grand baby has given you the much needed relief you so deserve. I can see where you we're worrying yourself sick, wondering what her reaction was going to be. I must say you brought tears to my eyes... make sure and hug that special little girl extra hard for me.

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • chenheart
    MAJW said:

Been there..

Nancy

I am not sure if I am
    I am not sure if I am getting the investigational drug or not, as it is a double blind study~but it is Phase 3 and if I am getting it, it is a "cousin" to Avastin.
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    chenheart said:

I am not sure if I am
    I am not sure if I am getting the investigational drug or not, as it is a double blind study~but it is Phase 3 and if I am getting it, it is a "cousin" to Avastin.

Love ya Chen
    Treasured Claudia...
    Ahhh more war stories to add to the collection. You are soooo fortunate for the kiddy distractions and I hope whatever they are giving you works so this too will become a distant memory someday.

Great to see you posting. As usual...sending hummers!

Sherry
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    tufi000 said:

Love ya Chen
    Treasured Claudia...
    Ahhh more war stories to add to the collection. You are soooo fortunate for the kiddy distractions and I hope whatever they are giving you works so this too will become a distant memory someday.

Great to see you posting. As usual...sending hummers!

Sherry

Chen~U make me smile~
    ~grandbabies are good therapy~ for hair, spirit, soul~ what ever you need!
    ~bless you, prayers and good thoughts to you, Sista!! GI Chen~ Ha!
    ~M
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Sorry you are doing the wig thing again!
    But I know about the grandbaby. JC would get his pacifier for his nap and I would take off my wig, it was part of the drill. The only thing was he wanted to wear my wig (I let him a couple of times), and since it is still in my laundry room, every time he sees it he wants to wear it. 2 year olds...they love us no matter what.

Keep fighting GI Chen!

Jennifer
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    I think 2 year olds still
    I think 2 year olds still see with their hearts. It is only as we get older that we use only our eyes! Of course you are still the same to her. I am sure having you grand daughter around so much will make chemo a lot more tolerable. As far as pulling off the bandana, give her time. Sammie used to pull mine off in public all the time. She loved to wear them too so maybe have one handy for her.

Cindy

PS - I had forgotten about Calliou till you mentioned it on the other post. I loved that show while Sammie was into it.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    mamolady said:

I think 2 year olds still
    I think 2 year olds still see with their hearts. It is only as we get older that we use only our eyes! Of course you are still the same to her. I am sure having you grand daughter around so much will make chemo a lot more tolerable. As far as pulling off the bandana, give her time. Sammie used to pull mine off in public all the time. She loved to wear them too so maybe have one handy for her.

Cindy

PS - I had forgotten about Calliou till you mentioned it on the other post. I loved that show while Sammie was into it.

That's truly got to be the best medicine, Chen
    And you're right--if only we could all be that non-judgemental. Even though I didn't love being bald, for me, there were some positives--I could get ready to go in a snap, no blow-drying in the 100+ AZ summer heat, bought a bunch of cool scarves, had the best Brazilian bikini wax ever!

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers through this treatment, Chen. Channeling energy so that they work amazingly well, with very few side effects.

Please keep us informed when you can.

Many, many hugs, Renee