Options
2»

Comments

• debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    GMcD said:

I definitely feel you did
    I definitely feel you did the right thing for both your cousin and his daughter. One day she would have to try to live with the fact that she hurt her father when he was defenseless. Not a good way to go through life, I would think. Also, you are amazing to care so much for your cousin. I wish you and your family peace.

I agree
    As hard as it must have been, you did the right thing. There is no excuse for someone to be abused. Hopefully, his daughter will get the help she needs.
  • bluwillo
    bluwillo Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hey You!
    Yes, you...standing over there chewing your nails and hunching your shoulders up, face all pale and scared looking.

c'mere. Let me tell you something. YOU NOT ONLY SAVED YOUR COUSIN'S LIFE, YOU MOST LIKELY SAVED HIS DAUGHTER ALSO!

Insert major hugs and the good Puffs (with the lotion, don't you know!) here. You did what had to be done, sure, it was a difficult decision to make, but it was the right one. Good for you!

Now, onto the legal aspects (it's one of my hats...I am not a lawyer but work with these kinds of cases). Depending on your state, someone has to press charges. Here, law enforcement does this. We'd charge her with Domestic Violence, and any other crime I could find that involves assault on a disabled person. Part of that charge is a "no contact" order. That means she can't contact her dad (hard for him, good for her) in any way. What did the police charge her with? In our state, she'd be put in the Juvie division, but that doesn't get her a lot of slack when it comes to assault.

And finally, mom and dad both need to advise Friend of the Court of daughter's incarceration. It will make a difference in the child support, and certainly the parenting time. Sounds like a little time institutionalized followed by foster care (no one in the family...this chica sounds like a master manipulator) until she ages out of the juvie system.

But all this aside, remember...you saved (hopefully) two lives. "Someone saved my life tonight, sugarbear". "member that? it's from an old Elton John song. Blessings!
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    my two cents
    Bless you for being there for your brother. You did the right thing.