Reflecting and reconnecting

Options
sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
My birthday is next month - same day as Missrenee. Anyway, as it approaches, I've started to think about, reflect I guess, about my life up til now, my family, friends...

The story is, my parents separated when I was a toddler, I only briefly know my fathers side of the family, including my 3 half brothers. Of my fathers siblings, there is only 1 remaining. So - thanks to the internet - I located him and got the courage to call, just a few hours ago. I am so excited!

I hated to call out of the blue, but I didn't want to send a letter to an address I wasn't sure of, so...after 30 years, I have connected with my Uncle and his wife. She will put me in touch with cousins I haven't seen since I was a teen, and, I guess, my brothers, too.

So, my new project is to find a few [flattering] photographs of me through the years, a few pics of my daughter and forward them on with my info.

I feel good, and sentimental and apprehensive. And I just had to share my news with those close to my heart - you!

Sue

Comments

• Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Sue-I am so glad that you have been able to make a connection with that side of your family! My grandparents were divorced when my dad was a baby, so I never knew my grandfather until he was in his 70's. But it was great to get to kknow him, even at that late date. I was amazed at how much my dad was like him, even though they had not been together for 50 years.

Good luck in your reconnection!
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    My own daughter recently made a connection
    She is 26 and knew that she had a 1/2 brother but didn't know him. She chose to sever the relationship with her father for many ugly reasons, and he did not have a relationship with his son since that child was really small. ANYWAY, they are going slowly and tentatively thru text and facebook and she has enjoyed having what so far has been casual contact.

Good luck to you, WOW a whole "new" family. Hope it works out wonderfully well!

Jennifer
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

My own daughter recently made a connection
    She is 26 and knew that she had a 1/2 brother but didn't know him. She chose to sever the relationship with her father for many ugly reasons, and he did not have a relationship with his son since that child was really small. ANYWAY, they are going slowly and tentatively thru text and facebook and she has enjoyed having what so far has been casual contact.

Good luck to you, WOW a whole "new" family. Hope it works out wonderfully well!

Jennifer

Best wishes...
    To you all of you who are reconnecting! How wonderful you found your uncle again...that old saying "you can pick your friends but not your family" is so true.....life is so short and if we can find and reconnect with family and have a relationship of some kind, it can only bring happiness to our lives....

Wishing you all the very best with your new found family!
    Hugs, Nancy
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    It occurs to me, sweet Sue,
    It occurs to me, sweet Sue, that in myriad phases of our lives, "we do what we have to do, so we can do what we want to do!!!" I am also thinking about what I have told Siobhan regarding anxiety-provoking occasions( which may turn out to be good things!): nervous and excited feel pretty much the same way~ when given the opportunity, go with the excitement!
    I feel good things coming your way...funny when our mortality taps us on the shoulder, what do we have to lose by pushing our personal envelope one more time? The life saving decisions you have made have certainly pushed you waaaay outside of our comfort zone~ that you are connecting with family, even after a decades long separating speaks volumes about the awesome woman and Kindred Spirit you are! ENJOY!!!!!! And make sure they have enough chairs~we are all going with you for the reunion, you know! Pink Bus~ get ready!!!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Sue,
    What an awesome thing

Sue,
    What an awesome thing to do! I know it is not easy to step outside your comfort zone, but the pay off can be exceptional!

Cindy
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

Sue,
    What an awesome thing

Sue,
    What an awesome thing to do! I know it is not easy to step outside your comfort zone, but the pay off can be exceptional!

Cindy

This sounds just like you, Sue!
    So glad you are re-connecting with family. What a brave thing to do. But, like Chen said, in our situations, we can feel more free to take on an attitude, "okay, what's the worst that will happen!" Keep us posted on your progress.

Take good care,
    Hugs, Renee