We Will Never Forget...

emamei
emamei Member Posts: 146
Today is Remembrance Day in Canada, Veteran's Day in the USA. This is an emotional day for me. My parents were almost 13 years apart in age. My mother is from Germany, born in Eastern Prussia which is now Poland. My father was an American citizen. Both of my parents, throughout my childhood shared their individual stories and personal accounts of how WWII affected them.

My father served in the US Merchant Marines during WWII, was taken as a POW and was held in a Japanese run, Chinese prison camp for 11 months before he was repatriated. He was tortured brutally, beaten physically, psychologically and spiritually. He spent years in a VA hospital undergoing many surgeries, reconstructions and counseling.

My mother's father left their village in Prussia to fight in the German army - not by choice, but out of the need to survive. The Nazi's did not give anyone a choice. You either fought with them, for them, or you were imprisoned or shot. Not long after he left, their village was soon invaded by the Russian army. My mother, her sister and their mother were taken prisoner. The Russian army had commandeered a building in which they brought people to be interrogated, raped and tortured. My mother and her sister witnessed their mother (my grandmother) interrogated, beaten and gang raped by the soldiers. Then they were taken to a cattle train to be shipped to concentration camps.

The train had stopped in another village, while there they had an opportunity to escape through a door of the train car they were in that faced a farmer's field. One by one, my grandmother pushed her girls out onto the ground and told them to run, never looking back, then she herself jumped and ran. They made their way to Berlin, Germany and years later immigrated to Canada.

I feel for each and every member of military personnel serving their countries; especially our Canadian and American Armed Forces.

I wrote a poem, dedicated to my father who died more than 20 years ago and want to share it here with you.

We Have Not Forgotten...

Fallen soldiers standing by as their living comrades say goodbye to lives lived short and lives lived long in parade possessions marching along.

Lives they gave unconditionally for freedoms and peace internationally.
Setting examples and precedents for future leaders and presidents.

War at times necessary to right the wrongs so arbitrary
in light of lives taken, laid in sanctuary.

We bow our heads in silent praise, in hearts we morn,
in thoughts we raise the memories of those now gone.

Never forget the battles fought, never say it was all for naught.
Because of them, we are here; to learn from all they faced in fear.

Bravery instilled each one to the core to fight to the end
so there will be no more.

We have yet to learn what they hoped to teach
by many fights fought, their calls beseech.

In their eyes we see our brothers, grandfathers, uncles and fathers. Our sons, our daughters, our mothers too. Remember they did all of this for country, king and you.

Never take lightly the sacrifices made, even as their memories slowly fade, we must keep alive all that they’ve done so we shall never lose another one.

We stretch out our hands and our hearts to those fallen soldiers standing by as their living comrades say goodbye to lives lived short and lives lived long
in parade possessions marching along.

We thank you all, though thank you is but a phrase. The feelings it carries sincerity stays. We look to you and continue to learn. From all you’ve done we will discern.

Today is your day. We honor you all. Those still alive and those who by war fall. Those who still fight in battles from hell,and those who in such battles fell.

We owe you more than parades can give.
You gave so much more that we may all live.

Written November 9, 2008
To my father long since gone, I love you, I will never forget!

Comments

• nicmarie75
    nicmarie75 Member Posts: 57 Member
    Incredible story
    What an incredible story, and sad.

My grandmother was from Germany. She won't talk much about her life there, little things here and there in conversation. She had a twin sister and my grandma had trouble with hearing and her mother called her stupid, from what I gather she did not see her father for years for him being in military?? but he was a painter. She was born in Wurzburg in 1935 and lived on her grandparents farm with her mother and siblings outside of town in 1945 when Wurzburg was bombed. Again my details are sketchy...she is 76 now and widowed. She met my grandfather while he was stationed in Germany in the 50's and she got pregnant. My mom was born in Wurzburg in Jan 57 and my grandparents married in Nov 57. My aunt was born in Feb 58 and they left germany to the states abt 1959/60 and my other aunt was born in Arkansas.

She talks about eating potatoes only.....

My grandfather served in Korean war in early 50's and from what I gather from his letters to his older sister back home in Michigan, he was a guard over prison camps for the Koreans. He had several pictures of him with Korean children and they are both smiling, Him with his military police cap on. I can't picture him guarding prisoners, he loved everyone and was such a kind man.

He died from Parotid Gland Cancer in 95 at 62 yrs old.
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Very nice poem
    Very nice poem.You have alot to talk about.The Viet Nam War affected me terribly.It was the time when alot of us were growing up and seeing so many go to War.

My father was in Germany during WW11.Didn't see combat.He wasn't in the fighting like others.My many friends who I thought so much of were killed.Seemed like everytime I started dating someone they wanted to break up since they were leaving. Every guy was joining or being drafted.It was upsetting and hard to understand but it was how alot of them felt. I wrote a few but not for long.

Finally met a guy who was just getting out.We dated and later married.He was in Viet Nam in '65 and '66.Got home and after dating over a year we married.Finally found one who wasn't leaving.

The hard part I took the deaths of 2 of my X's pretty hard. One made it back but was killed saving his friend from some vigalantes in New York.He chased the guy who had a gun to his friend's head. My friend was shot after returning safely from Viet Nam.I did run into him after coming back and his demeanor was not good.Very distant and never smiled. A chip on his shoulder.Seemed bitter and probably why he knew it was time to do what he did in Viet Nam.Fight for his friend and save him. He did that and lost his battle after 2 weeks in a hospital.Went to his funeral.All bandaged.Few years later It was eery.I had a dream he was alive.Saw his face and said He is alive.Woke up and the room was so cold.I then said NO he isn't alive.His prescense was in my room.His friend said he was trying to tell me everything was alright.

The other X boyfriend took me aside to tell me he was leaving.Not a good talk as I felt everyone was dying in Viet Nam.We had our long talk.Then I didn't see him.He left.Came home on leave.He and I were somewhere.I Looked behind me and there is was staring for a long time.Fixiated on me as if it was the last time.He left for Viet Nam and was killed 2 weeks before he was to come home. I went to pieces when I was told.I dropped to my knees and screamed.I still think about him and our talk and how he looked at me as if he was wanting one last look before he left.We never got to talk that night because he and I were talking to other people. Since my husband was in Viet Nam he and I go to his grave and visit it every year.He understands how I feel.It was hard for those leaving and for those of us they left behind.

My husband now is going through the VA for a pension.Alot of health problems long after the Viet Nam War. after being married for many years.He is coming out on some things he wants me to know and he is seeing a physcologist.I am finding out things I never knew.He is still affected by the war and at times it has had a bearing on our marriage. So I've really lived this for years. It is a time to remember all who have been killed,those who made it back and still have problems and remember they all fought so hard.

Today is a Very Special Day and yesterday was a special for my husband and also my son who was in The Gulf War.They never miss a day calling each other on the Marine Corp Birthday which was yesterday.

THANK YOU TO ALL VETERANS!!!!!

Lynn Smith