Haven't been here for a while

MsGebby
MsGebby Member Posts: 659
Hi to everyone ... It's been an emotional roller coaster ride and it just doesn't seem to want to end. I thought everything was great when my doc called and said "the Oncotype test says your recurrence rate is 4%. NO CHEM!" I was doing the Snoopy Dance all over the place. I really didn't want chemo (the doc said she felt I would need it but sometimes this test proves the pathology report wrong). The very next day she calls back and says "I'm so sorry. But you need to have a CT Scan this week". She had me go for the scan of my chest, abdomen and pelvic area. I had that done today. One of the labs had tumor marker numbers that were worrisome. I just can't breath. I am more than scared. When I have time alone, I just cry. The doc should have the results tomorrow. I am holding my breath. Too afraid to hope even!

How is everyone doing? I pray for you all. Cancer sucks but life is still beautiful.

Your friend,
Mary

Comments

• Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Hi Mary,
    Try not to worry too much about the tumor markers because my doctor doesn't even take them. I had to scan my chest and pelvic area prior to any surgery just to make sure it hadn't spread to those spots too.
    Then they saw swollen nodes in my chest so I had to have a thoracic surgeon perform a chest biopsy of those nodes and my liver showed a spot, so I had to MRI that! It all turned out to be okay. The liver has a hemangioma and the chest is done every year and there is no change in the swollen nodes so I must just have bigger nodes there :)

My point is, your doctor is right to check all areas for you or he wouldn't be doing his job. I thought it was overkill while I was going through it, but now I'm thankful.
    Best of luck and try to stay calm.
    Big Hugs,
    Wanda
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    i am sure there is no staying calm
    I know I didn't stay calm at all. I am sure tomorrow seems a verrrrry long time away, with that want to know don't want to know feeling. My onc doesn't do tumor markers either, says there isn't a specific one for bc and doesn't want to put her patients throught false readings.

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you in addition to sending you positive thoughts and prayers,

Jennifer
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    grams2jc said:

i am sure there is no staying calm
    I know I didn't stay calm at all. I am sure tomorrow seems a verrrrry long time away, with that want to know don't want to know feeling. My onc doesn't do tumor markers either, says there isn't a specific one for bc and doesn't want to put her patients throught false readings.

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you in addition to sending you positive thoughts and prayers,

Jennifer

My oncologist doesn't do or
    My oncologist doesn't do or believe in tumor markers either. Please try to relax and just wait until you meet with your doctor about your results from your tests.

Praying for you,

Debby
  • Ballerina
    Ballerina Member Posts: 152
    I pray
    I pray God gives you the peace that surpasses all thought.

Your new pink sister
    Ballerina
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Ballerina said:

I pray

Your new pink sister
    Ballerina

Emotional roller coaster, indeed ---
    It sounds to me that your Oncologist is doing the correct/right thing by ordering scans -- I know the scans, as well as the waiting for results 'sucks', so I will prayer for calmness and strength.

breast cancer is an ugly sneaky beast -- who takes the lives of women and men -- every day of the week -- too many variables -- stages, er/pr negative vs positive, age of victim etc.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    VickiSam said:

Emotional roller coaster, indeed ---
    It sounds to me that your Oncologist is doing the correct/right thing by ordering scans -- I know the scans, as well as the waiting for results 'sucks', so I will prayer for calmness and strength.

breast cancer is an ugly sneaky beast -- who takes the lives of women and men -- every day of the week -- too many variables -- stages, er/pr negative vs positive, age of victim etc.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

Wishing..
    You good test results....As for tumor marker testing....yes, they can give false positives and false negatives....BUT...mine were always normal after all my treatment 2 1/2 yrs,ago....then they shot up this past June....and it was correct in my case...I am now in treatment again for a recurrence....so mine were correct...

Waiting sucks, big time! And having the scans...better safe than sorry...

Wishing you good results! Keep us posted...we care
    Gigs,Nancy
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Mary
    Don't give up hope. My doctor does not use tumor markers either, too many false negs and positives. Glad yours is following up with the scans.

The roller coaster can continue forever if we let it. If possible, (as hard as it is), use the energy that is burned with worry, on living!

Prayers and hugs,
    Carol
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    MAJW said:

Wishing..
    You good test results....As for tumor marker testing....yes, they can give false positives and false negatives....BUT...mine were always normal after all my treatment 2 1/2 yrs,ago....then they shot up this past June....and it was correct in my case...I am now in treatment again for a recurrence....so mine were correct...

Waiting sucks, big time! And having the scans...better safe than sorry...

Wishing you good results! Keep us posted...we care
    Gigs,Nancy

Praying that you will get
    Praying that you will get good news on your tests!
  • MsGebby
    I haven't yet started any
    I haven't yet started any kind of treatment. So I worry because NOTHING is happening. I know, things are happening but not treatment wise. I had surgery to remove the lump and need further surgery to remove what was left behind. I worry because this test may be finding a crumb or 2 that got into places where no one wants them to be. I think this is why I can't breath. I am scared that cancer has moved on. I called the doc today and was told she will call me back. How do you all get through the waiting and wondering? For me, it's such a nightmare.

Like I said originally, cancer sucks but life is good. I am blessed. All I need is to get started on SOMETHING to keep this nasty thing from invading me further. If I don't know what I'm fighting, HOW DO I FIGHT?

I am angry, anxious, scared, pissed ... so many emotions ... I can't breath!
  • MsGebby

Hi Mary,
    Try not to worry too much about the tumor markers because my doctor doesn't even take them. I had to scan my chest and pelvic area prior to any surgery just to make sure it hadn't spread to those spots too.
    Then they saw swollen nodes in my chest so I had to have a thoracic surgeon perform a chest biopsy of those nodes and my liver showed a spot, so I had to MRI that! It all turned out to be okay. The liver has a hemangioma and the chest is done every year and there is no change in the swollen nodes so I must just have bigger nodes there :)

My point is, your doctor is right to check all areas for you or he wouldn't be doing his job. I thought it was overkill while I was going through it, but now I'm thankful.
    Best of luck and try to stay calm.
    Big Hugs,
    Wanda

My GFR numbers suggest
    My GFR numbers suggest kidney disease but it could be cancer. We don't know right now.
    And I can't figure out the other number in the report. I thank you for your insight.
    It makes me feel that I have a good doctor who is really looking out for me.

Hugs backatcha,
    Mary
  • MsGebby
    DebbyM said:

My oncologist doesn't do or
    My oncologist doesn't do or believe in tumor markers either. Please try to relax and just wait until you meet with your doctor about your results from your tests.

Praying for you,

Debby

thank you so much

thank you so much
  • MsGebby
    Ballerina said:

I pray

Your new pink sister
    Ballerina

Thank you *hugs*

Thank you *hugs*
  • MsGebby
    camul said:

Mary
    Don't give up hope. My doctor does not use tumor markers either, too many false negs and positives. Glad yours is following up with the scans.

The roller coaster can continue forever if we let it. If possible, (as hard as it is), use the energy that is burned with worry, on living!

Prayers and hugs,
    Carol

Hi Carol ...
    I think I worry

Hi Carol ...

I think I worry a lot because I haven't started treatment of any kind. I beat the chemo bullet, however. Oncotype is a great test! It's been 9 weeks since surgery and I am getting really scared that with no treatment at all, the "crumbs" left behind will have time to move around. I need a second surgery because there were cells too close to the margins (1mm).

My daughter says she can't believe how strong and positive I have been. She says she would be a mess every day, 24/7/365. SO I do believe that I am living and not putting my life on hold. I just need answers.

Thank for being here for me and the other sisters. You are a blessing!

Mary