Am I living in a 3rd world country?

grams2jc
grams2jc Member Posts: 756
There was a feature article in the local paper today (town of 75,000 with the largest hospital in at least a 45 mile radius) exclaiming the good news about a 36 y/o lady who had the 1st bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction done in town. She was only eligible because she didn't need radiation and she had tissue expanders, not a flap reconstruction. I chose to drive 1 hour to a larger metro area for treatment and while I didn't have immediate reconstruction, it was an option. Am I confused? I know many of my pink sisters have had rads with tissue expanders. How long has this been done? I am feeling a bit embarrassed that this was printed as a "Big" breakthrough. Isn't this a common procedure now?

Just wondering,

Jennifer

Comments

• mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Jennifer, with a small town,
    Jennifer, with a small town, they may not have had the plastic surgery expertise till now. It may not have been a priority or they may not have had the funding? I know until 2005 or 2006, Kaiser Santa Clara outsourced the radiation treatment to OConnor Hospital.
    I don't know that I would have wanted to be part of that news story?
    Funny what we take for granted though.

Cindy
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    They Don't Always Do It In the Big City, Either
    I have been treated at a major university hospital in a very large city. When I learned I would need a mastectomy, I read up, and assumed my surgeon would be discussing immediate reconstruction. Dr. A was on vacation, so I was sent to Dr. B. I asked him about reconstruction and he said no, because I might need radiation. He said it with such firmness that I didn't follow up -- and who would I have followed up with, anyway? Yesterday, after a very rough year, I went to see the plastic surgeon, who has been on staff the whole time, expecting to talk about cleaning up my scar because I really did not think I want to face another big procedure. I learned that I should have been considered for immediate reconstruction -- it happens all the time with Dr. A's patients, even when they have radiation. At least I should have had a consultation with the plastic surgeon.

I can't tell you how upset I was. More than a year ago, I raised the question, and was dismissed. And my surgeon was wrong. It's not 100% that I would have been eligible for immediate reconstruction, but now we'll never know.

So now the plastic surgeon, who is absolutely wonderful, has me thinking about reconstruction again. It's not for sure -- I have other medical issues and it might not even be possible -- but it would be a back flap with silicone insert, a much bigger deal than just a silicone insert. More time off work, more chance of complications. Even if I can, I really don't know if I want to do it, but I am going to take my time and decide. I just started wearing my prosthesis again after radiation, and I liked not having to deal with it.

Once I get my head a little straighter, I will be asking your advice.