Endocrine Consult Report

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
As some may remember back in Aug - Hubby broke my foot. Well - no that's not completely the truth - he didn't actually do anything to me - he just found an app on his new Droid that turned the screen into a flash light so he put it on mine and then insisted I go out and try it. So I tripped/slipped in a rut and broke 2 bones in my foot - so it's his fault - I would not have been outside in the dark to 'find' the rut except for him. LOL.

At 4 weeks out X-rays showed little healing and 8 weeks out there was a bit more but definately not healed. The podiatrist I saw was concerned but said I was doing all I could at the time (Fosamax, Vir. D and Calcium). I see him tomorrow for a script for some kind of special shoes he wants me to have. (I'm Osteoporotic now and started Fosamax in June.)

I had posted about it here and some thought I should see an Endocrinologist so I talked to my PA and she put in a 'consult' with the closest VA endocrinologist (which is 600 miles away and he has access to all my records). I got the "Consult Sheet" today and basically he says follow the same route I've been on - stay on Fosamax and follow up with Dr.G. Very bsically - where it is and such small bones that healing doesn't show up very good on X-rays but the lack of pain now is more important as a sign that healing is going on - so just keep on as going.

Susan

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Excellent News Susan
    I am so happy to read that the bone is healing. I do hope you like your new shoes. No more outings in the dark!

Best,

Doris
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    SIROD said:

Excellent News Susan
    I am so happy to read that the bone is healing. I do hope you like your new shoes. No more outings in the dark!

Best,

Doris

Susan good progress
    I am glad that you and your doctor followed up on your conditions. Thank you for sharing. Wishing you full healing.
    Take care and be careful
    Hugs
  • CelticGoddess
    CelticGoddess Member Posts: 11
    estrogen loss weakens bones
    Certain types of exercise can stengthen bones and help prevent breaks. maybe you could see a physical therapist?

Kim L.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

estrogen loss weakens bones
    Certain types of exercise can stengthen bones and help prevent breaks. maybe you could see a physical therapist?

Kim L.

Have an exercise program
    I'm quite active. It's been quite awhile since I saw a PT but the last time I did they were happy with my schedule. I work out several times a week in the base gym (see a personal trainer every 4 weeks.). I also do a fair bit of biking during the springnsummer/fall but during the winter I put in more time on the bikes at the gym and swimming. Also have 4 horses to care for year round no matter how deep the snow.

Susan
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Rague said:

Have an exercise program
    I'm quite active. It's been quite awhile since I saw a PT but the last time I did they were happy with my schedule. I work out several times a week in the base gym (see a personal trainer every 4 weeks.). I also do a fair bit of biking during the springnsummer/fall but during the winter I put in more time on the bikes at the gym and swimming. Also have 4 horses to care for year round no matter how deep the snow.

Susan

Great program, however biking and swimming do not help
    Susan,
    You have a great program, however both biking and swimming do not help for stronger bones. I was surprised when I learn it from both my physical therapist and endocrinologist. Livestrong foundation website has similar information too. Ask your physical therapist about weigh baring exc for bones.
    Hugs