neulasta

madsters1
madsters1 Member Posts: 120
Some say the Neulasta was the worst part of chemo for them. I know it's different for everyone though. I had my fisrt chemo yesterday and the Neulast today.How"d you all do?

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Just went to sleep
    The only poblem I had with it was almost to the minute, 2 hours after getting it I went to sleep for 2 hours.

Susan
  • nansk
    nansk Member Posts: 4
    Neulasta
    I had a few Neulasta shots, and decided that it wasnt worth the horrible side effects... Id rather take the chance of catching a cold, then be sooooo miserable. I would feel like I was hit by a truck. Migranes, etc. Not fun.
    Hope you fare better! Ill say a prayer!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    I was just achy for a day or
    I was just achy for a day or so after my neulasta shot, bone pain. I took ibuprofen and a few times it got bad enough that I needed rx meds but i never experienced migraines or nausea or anything.
    Good luck!
  • madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    nansk said:

Neulasta
    I had a few Neulasta shots, and decided that it wasnt worth the horrible side effects... Id rather take the chance of catching a cold, then be sooooo miserable. I would feel like I was hit by a truck. Migranes, etc. Not fun.
    Hope you fare better! Ill say a prayer!

neulasta...yikes!
    Yikes! Hit by a train! Well I had my 1st one about 5 hrs ago and am just feeling weak, but I had my 1st chemo yesterday too so who knows. I was considering not having one(Neulasta) and my doc kinda pitched a fit. They used all the scare tactics of becoming septic. So I went ahead and had it. Sorry I did. My thought was to have one to pacify them then do my other three treatments without it. I managed to talk them down to only 10mgs of steroids only on infusion day. I did fine. Thank You Lord. I was a grouch on that low dose. Can't imagine if I'd had more. Someone would've had to die! lol They push waaay too many meds. Ya can't just open up and say ahhh. I research every med. and decline most. Thanks for the insight. Hope you're doing well. Are you?
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Claratin is recommended by
    Claratin is recommended by the manufacturer to help with the bone pain (or it was a year ago). The claratin eliminated all of the bone pain I had from neupogin (a cousin to neulasta).

I hope this helps.

Linda
  • missingtexas
    missingtexas Member Posts: 146

I was just achy for a day or
    I was just achy for a day or so after my neulasta shot, bone pain. I took ibuprofen and a few times it got bad enough that I needed rx meds but i never experienced migraines or nausea or anything.
    Good luck!

Got mine on Wednesdays and
    Got mine on Wednesdays and the pain started over the weekend. Two days of a lot of pain. I personally was not willing to take the chance of getting an infection with 0 WBC :) I ended up with a sore throat and fever towards the end of chemo and spent a week in the hospital...to me the shots were worth it but I also had 2 small children that were in preschool and bringing home all sorts of funk. If I was in more control of my surroundings, I may have different thoughts!
  • missingtexas

Claratin is recommended by the manufacturer to help with the bone pain (or it was a year ago). The claratin eliminated all of the bone pain I had from neupogin (a cousin to neulasta).

I hope this helps.

Linda

OMG Linday...forgot all
    OMG Linday...forgot all about that. You are right, and it really does work!
  • missingtexas

I hope this helps.

Linda

OMG Linday...forgot all
    OMG Linday...forgot all about that. You are right, and it really does work!
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    madsters1 said:

neulasta...yikes!
    Yikes! Hit by a train! Well I had my 1st one about 5 hrs ago and am just feeling weak, but I had my 1st chemo yesterday too so who knows. I was considering not having one(Neulasta) and my doc kinda pitched a fit. They used all the scare tactics of becoming septic. So I went ahead and had it. Sorry I did. My thought was to have one to pacify them then do my other three treatments without it. I managed to talk them down to only 10mgs of steroids only on infusion day. I did fine. Thank You Lord. I was a grouch on that low dose. Can't imagine if I'd had more. Someone would've had to die! lol They push waaay too many meds. Ya can't just open up and say ahhh. I research every med. and decline most. Thanks for the insight. Hope you're doing well. Are you?

Madster i dont like drugs
    Madster i dont like drugs and dont take them unless i have no other option.
    For my first chemo i didnt have the neulasta and i spent some time in the hospital from a fever and critally low counts...so since my body didnt agree with chemo to well i had to do the shot from then on...it sucked! The more intense PAIN would last for 2-4 days...each time was a little different (not sure why). But then again it seemed the chemo affected me just as bad just in different way. I had chemo once every 3 weeks and i would just start feeling better a couple days before my next round of chemo...so i stayed sick pretty much for 4 months. Yet everyone is different and some can even work during chemo...NOWAY i could have.
    I dont see the harm in talking to your docs just to do one treatment without it just to see how you do.
    Oh and the steriods...i would be up for almost 3 days on them. Just taking cat naps is all i could do...talk about insomnia geeese!
    I didnt take anything for the pain...i found that walking just a little bit made it more tolerable, and if i walked to much made it even worse...i had to find that happy medium. So there are a few things you can do if you choose not to take the drugs.
  • nansk

I hope this helps.

Linda

Claratin
    Wow! Do I wish I knew about that when I was taking it!!! Do you know how it works? Wonder if it would help with the aches and pains of Femera......
    Have a great day!
  • missingtexas
    nansk said:

Claratin
    Wow! Do I wish I knew about that when I was taking it!!! Do you know how it works? Wonder if it would help with the aches and pains of Femera......
    Have a great day!

Nansk
    I do not know. When I asked my friend (who's a doctor) if he had any idea, he was looking at his little doctor/medication cheater book (haha) and said that it must have something to do with the histamine blockers.
  • missingtexas
    nansk said:

Claratin
    Have a great day!

Claritin
    The theory is (as explained to me) the bone marrow edema is what is causing the pain. The histamines will block some of the edema and therefore the pain.
  • BetsyJane
    BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
    I hated the Neulasta shot.
    I think I preferred chemo to the Neulasta shot....but then again, everybody has different reactions to it.

Here's what I did to minimize side effects. I took Clariton D (make sure it's Clariton "D" 24 Hour.) I took it one day before, the day of the shot and one to days after getting the shot. You will most likely still experience some side effects but not near as bad as they could be. The Neulasta side effects didn't effect me until about two days after receiving it. Then I would start to feel a little queezy and extremely tired and weak. This continued for about two days. After two days were up, I felt fine.

God Bless.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    BetsyJane said:

I hated the Neulasta shot.
    I think I preferred chemo to the Neulasta shot....but then again, everybody has different reactions to it.

Here's what I did to minimize side effects. I took Clariton D (make sure it's Clariton "D" 24 Hour.) I took it one day before, the day of the shot and one to days after getting the shot. You will most likely still experience some side effects but not near as bad as they could be. The Neulasta side effects didn't effect me until about two days after receiving it. Then I would start to feel a little queezy and extremely tired and weak. This continued for about two days. After two days were up, I felt fine.

God Bless.

No pain, but got infection
    I had Neulasta the last 2 cycles of my chemo because I ran a fever with the first 2 cycles and could never identify the source of infection. I had absolutely no pain from the shots, but I still ran fevers and had mystery infections. Go figure.
    Suzanne
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member

No pain, but got infection
    I had Neulasta the last 2 cycles of my chemo because I ran a fever with the first 2 cycles and could never identify the source of infection. I had absolutely no pain from the shots, but I still ran fevers and had mystery infections. Go figure.
    Suzanne

Minimal Side Effects...
    I had 6 rounds of chemo and 6 neulasta shots the day after each infusion. Thank God, I had minimal side effects. Two days after the first 2 neulasta injections, I had minor back pains that lasted a couple of days. I had no pains for the remaining 4 neulasta injections. Like others I used Claritan as needed for the first couple of injections. Overall, the neulasta injections were not bad. Of course everyone's experience is different. Thank God, it was managable for me.

Wishing You all the best!!!

Hugs~
    Mitzi
  • Grandma X 6
    Grandma X 6 Member Posts: 135
    Mitzi333 said:

Minimal Side Effects...
    I had 6 rounds of chemo and 6 neulasta shots the day after each infusion. Thank God, I had minimal side effects. Two days after the first 2 neulasta injections, I had minor back pains that lasted a couple of days. I had no pains for the remaining 4 neulasta injections. Like others I used Claritan as needed for the first couple of injections. Overall, the neulasta injections were not bad. Of course everyone's experience is different. Thank God, it was managable for me.

Wishing You all the best!!!

Hugs~
    Mitzi

Not a big problem
    I also had 6 rounds chemo and 6 neulasta and herceptin for a year. The neulasta was not to bad ache for a few days after Tylenol helped. I did not to risk getting sick which I did not, to me it was well worth it Good Luck
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Took Claritan in the morning
    Took Claritan in the morning and for the next 3 days, it helped some. But my bones and joints are sore all the time from the mets, so I think it just exaggerated what is already there.
  • nansk

Nansk
    I do not know. When I asked my friend (who's a doctor) if he had any idea, he was looking at his little doctor/medication cheater book (haha) and said that it must have something to do with the histamine blockers.

Claritan
    Thanks, Texas!!!