Options
2»

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Thanks, CC
    There are so many different studies about this. I appreciate your posts on these topics -- it allows me to go straight to the link, read, and make decisions.

Thanks!

xoxo
    Victoria

I have...
    Mixed feelings about all of these "studies".....I am thankful and grateful that research and studies are being conducted...because, according to my oncologist, they have to find out what CAUSES cancer in order to find a cure.....and I firmly agree with that! I think we become skeptical because of past studies where something that was supposed to be good for us turned out just the opposite and vice versa!... I'm not a drinker, per say...an occasional bloody mary...that's it....we have a good friend who has always drank a glass of red wine daily, to insure a "healthy heart"....well two years ago he suffered a massive heart attack.... ! Thankfully he survived....so, so much for that theory, for him....then we hear of people dying of lung cancer who never smoked....so, go figure! It's all a crap shoot, in my humble opinion...But I do think it's important to pay attention to research and studies...that's where a cause and cure will someday come to pass....And hopefully, sooner rather than later!

And I appreciate CC for posting this !

Hugs and have a good weekend, my pink sisters!
    Nancy
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

I have...
    Mixed feelings about all of these "studies".....I am thankful and grateful that research and studies are being conducted...because, according to my oncologist, they have to find out what CAUSES cancer in order to find a cure.....and I firmly agree with that! I think we become skeptical because of past studies where something that was supposed to be good for us turned out just the opposite and vice versa!... I'm not a drinker, per say...an occasional bloody mary...that's it....we have a good friend who has always drank a glass of red wine daily, to insure a "healthy heart"....well two years ago he suffered a massive heart attack.... ! Thankfully he survived....so, so much for that theory, for him....then we hear of people dying of lung cancer who never smoked....so, go figure! It's all a crap shoot, in my humble opinion...But I do think it's important to pay attention to research and studies...that's where a cause and cure will someday come to pass....And hopefully, sooner rather than later!

And I appreciate CC for posting this !

Hugs and have a good weekend, my pink sisters!
    Nancy

Thanks Nancy. I agree that
    Thanks Nancy. I agree that the media can confuse folks with reporting one small study result as if it is fact.

That is why I pooh-poohed the alcohol studies in the 1980's. But now, 25 years later, the preponderance of evidence that the medical community pays attention to is there. This is not an hypothesis anymore.

The questions that remain are which particular women are afffected by alcohol the most and why. And, so far, it appears that alcohol is turning out to be most deleterious to ER+, postmenopausal women. But, as I said before, all women with breast cancer should avoid alcohol and stay tuned.
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    Options

Thanks Nancy. I agree that
    Thanks Nancy. I agree that the media can confuse folks with reporting one small study result as if it is fact.

That is why I pooh-poohed the alcohol studies in the 1980's. But now, 25 years later, the preponderance of evidence that the medical community pays attention to is there. This is not an hypothesis anymore.

The questions that remain are which particular women are afffected by alcohol the most and why. And, so far, it appears that alcohol is turning out to be most deleterious to ER+, postmenopausal women. But, as I said before, all women with breast cancer should avoid alcohol and stay tuned.

Through my diagnosis and
    Through my diagnosis and treatment I would often joke about going to get a margarita or two to get by. I never actually did that, though. But I have acquired a taste for a local wine (Coyote Moon), and happened to get pretty tipsy at a wedding at the vineyard. It was the first time I tied one on since BC, and I have to admit it felt pretty darn good. The 2-day headache wasn't fun afterwards, it seems to have 'cured' my craving for wine for now. I am premenopausal, ER+, and on Tamoxifen. I had never really noticed the warning against having a drink. Thanks for info.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Moderation
    Since there isn't any proof as to what the cause of breast cancer really is, then I would believe that moderation would be the key.

Since we all have breast cancer here on this board (unless their a supporter) no one need worry about the risk.

Now there's a perk or a silver lining:)

Best,

Doris
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    SIROD said:

Moderation
    Since there isn't any proof as to what the cause of breast cancer really is, then I would believe that moderation would be the key.

Since we all have breast cancer here on this board (unless their a supporter) no one need worry about the risk.

Now there's a perk or a silver lining:)

Best,

Doris

The problem is that it not
    The problem is that it not only increases risk, it increases risk of recurrence and worsens prognosis in those with existing disease. Also, there is no moderation as other studies demonstrate greatly worsened outcomes with even one drink per day. I will pm them to you if you want, but I am typing on my smart phone and not very good at it. :-). I stand by the statement that there is no good news for anyone with breast cancer concerning alcohol.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    I also seen this on the
    I also seen this on the news. Im not a drinker but i occasionally will have a night out with the girls...like once every five years and have drinks. Which it only takes me a few drinks before im feeling pretty good...lol!
    Does this still effect those like me that are ER+/PR+ and had a hysterectomy...since my body cant produce estrogen anymore? OR are there other factors in this study too?
    Not that im going to go out and drink anytime soon but its nice to know if i could or not and are my risks the same with the hysterectomy? Thats the part im confused about!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

I also seen this on the
    I also seen this on the news. Im not a drinker but i occasionally will have a night out with the girls...like once every five years and have drinks. Which it only takes me a few drinks before im feeling pretty good...lol!
    Does this still effect those like me that are ER+/PR+ and had a hysterectomy...since my body cant produce estrogen anymore? OR are there other factors in this study too?
    Not that im going to go out and drink anytime soon but its nice to know if i could or not and are my risks the same with the hysterectomy? Thats the part im confused about!

There are so many studies
    There are so many studies and so many facts out there of what is and isn't good for us. Soy, certain food coloring dyes, hairspray, cellphones and even more are reported in studies to cause cancer. Although, I think they took back the cellphone study and said it won't now. Who knows--

I like a glass of wine occasionally and will continue to drink it when I want it. For anyone that chooses not to, that is their choice to.

I wish they would focus more on the cure for cancer and not as much on what they think might cause it.
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    hmmmm
    While I take these studies seriously to an extent, I often wonder why we do not see major clusters of various diseases in places that should be reaping the "rewards" of eating or participating in the warned about foods and substances and activities we hear about.

Liquor is a non-issue for me as I get looped on a few sips of anyting, however I could drink red wine and get cancer again or not drink it and have another heart attack.

CHEERS!
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    tufi000 said:

hmmmm
    While I take these studies seriously to an extent, I often wonder why we do not see major clusters of various diseases in places that should be reaping the "rewards" of eating or participating in the warned about foods and substances and activities we hear about.

Liquor is a non-issue for me as I get looped on a few sips of anyting, however I could drink red wine and get cancer again or not drink it and have another heart attack.

CHEERS!

A few studies should be
    A few studies should be watched, but over 70 studies all pointing the same way is different. In my opinion, it is foolish to ignore these findings. My sister, a physician, began sounding the warning to me in 1988.

But I realize tellings folks who like to drink to give it up is like telling those with lung cancer to give up smoking. To me, the argument that, if you give up alcohol, life is not worth living is dubious.

I continue to post these studies, because it is such an obvious way to contribute to our own health, but I am aware that I will get lots of flack. I am hoping though that some will begin to google and begin to unemotionally and rationally look at the literature. I guess, as an NP, I can't help myself ;-).

As I have said repeatedly, giving up alcohol is a challenge for me too, but perhaps the avoidance of it has, in part, contributed to my continued survival after 24 (almost 25!) years with the disease? I began having Stage 4 symptoms in 2005, was diagnosed with Stage 4 definitively in April 2009 and am currently in remission.

I urge you all to google "breast cancer alcohol review of the literature."
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

A few studies should be
    A few studies should be watched, but over 70 studies all pointing the same way is different. In my opinion, it is foolish to ignore these findings. My sister, a physician, began sounding the warning to me in 1988.

But I realize tellings folks who like to drink to give it up is like telling those with lung cancer to give up smoking. To me, the argument that, if you give up alcohol, life is not worth living is dubious.

I continue to post these studies, because it is such an obvious way to contribute to our own health, but I am aware that I will get lots of flack. I am hoping though that some will begin to google and begin to unemotionally and rationally look at the literature. I guess, as an NP, I can't help myself ;-).

As I have said repeatedly, giving up alcohol is a challenge for me too, but perhaps the avoidance of it has, in part, contributed to my continued survival after 24 (almost 25!) years with the disease? I began having Stage 4 symptoms in 2005, was diagnosed with Stage 4 definitively in April 2009 and am currently in remission.

I urge you all to google "breast cancer alcohol review of the literature."

CC sometimes I take these
    CC sometimes I take these things in stride, but I know you have knowledge and I trust your ability to sift through the nonsense. I never drank to much and now I will avoid it. It also makes neuropathy worse. One thing is to add grape juice to help with the heart disease. anybody have a good book or ideas on anti inflammatory diet? I cant eat salmon it makes me feel funny and I am allergic to tuna.
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    carkris said:

CC sometimes I take these
    CC sometimes I take these things in stride, but I know you have knowledge and I trust your ability to sift through the nonsense. I never drank to much and now I will avoid it. It also makes neuropathy worse. One thing is to add grape juice to help with the heart disease. anybody have a good book or ideas on anti inflammatory diet? I cant eat salmon it makes me feel funny and I am allergic to tuna.

Sounds as if you may need to
    Sounds as if you may need to avoid most fish? A site that I found that is helpful is:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2896/2
    It gives you an Inflammation Factor number for each food and the higher the number, the better. For example, I learned that chopping up a raw red sweet pepper (red bell pepper) has an Inflammatory Factor of 126, whereas a green pepper is a score of 47. Both are good, but one is better--who would guess?

Nutrition Data Site

Here is a list of some recommended foods:

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/guide/anti-aging-diet?page=2

P.S. As to the science of any breast cancer diet--there is not clear cut evidence. I try and eat the anti inflammatory foods because it makes sense to me that they may help?
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Sounds as if you may need to
    Sounds as if you may need to avoid most fish? A site that I found that is helpful is:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2896/2
    It gives you an Inflammation Factor number for each food and the higher the number, the better. For example, I learned that chopping up a raw red sweet pepper (red bell pepper) has an Inflammatory Factor of 126, whereas a green pepper is a score of 47. Both are good, but one is better--who would guess?

Nutrition Data Site

Here is a list of some recommended foods:

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/guide/anti-aging-diet?page=2

P.S. As to the science of any breast cancer diet--there is not clear cut evidence. I try and eat the anti inflammatory foods because it makes sense to me that they may help?

thank you I have just heard
    thank you I have just heard of studies at my hospital on the effects of inflamation on patients after bypass. I know an aspirin a day is supposed to help decrease breast cancer risk, I just have this "feeling" that this makes sense and is something I need to look into. Intersting how you CRP is elevated in heart disease and infection.