Here we go...

My husbands diagnosis was B large cell lymphoma. He had his port put in today and starts chemo next Tuesday R-CHOP. Any advice for what's in store anything I can do to help make this easier on him or help in his recovery.

God bless to everyone dealing with this!

Diane

Comments

  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    Diane
    Hi I am sorry for your husband's diagnosis but he will be o.k. I was diagnosed in Jan 2009 witht the same thing. Mine was follicular B cell . I had r-chop . I never got sick. I was a little wobbly after the 5th chemo. I was cancer free in June o9 after starting the chemo on March 9, 09. I am a teacher but I took a personal leave and stayed out of church and the public. My husband took great care of me. I lost 21 pounds but I found it again. The chemo sometimes makes you cry for no real reason and I did. God was my strength snd I learned some good lessons. I learned I am not in control and don't want to be . I was married 39 years when I was diagnosed and I have always loved my husband but I now treasure him. God made good out of bad. Some people might think they can do this on their own but God and family and friends got me through. I love life and feel great. I pray for you and your husband. If you ever want to talk I am there for you . I started a cancer support group called HOPE and believe me there is lots of hope. This is a very treatable cancer. God bless you through this journey. You will be on the other side of this and Life will be more precious than it ever has been Joanie
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    Here we go !!!
    Diane,
    Your husband will be ok. It is not a pleasant journey with the chemo,but it is all worth it at the end. The first couple of treatments will not be bad,but by the 4th he will be getting tired easy and may feel as though a bus has hit him. He will need you more than ever. His strength will decrease quite a bit as the treatments go along.It will take it out of you thats for sure. He will feel as though he is dragging across the finish line on his knees,but he will do it. It is a tiredness that is so hard to explain.Just trying to be up front with what to expect. I went thru it myself as everyone on here has done. I have follicular stage 4,but am now in remission. I was treated with R-CVP. Try not to let it wear you down if you can help it.Good luck and as I said he will do just fine. John
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    Welcome..
    Hi Diane,
    Welcome to our group. You will find tremendous support here. I was diagnosed with Follicular NHL-stage3-grade2-typeA-in June of 2010. I had the CVP-R chemo which is a little less harsh than the R-CHOP. I am now doing Rituxan maint every 2 months over the next year and a half(just finished my 5th infusion). As John and Joannie has said, your husband is going to be fine. It won't be easy, but it's totally do-able. A year from now you and hubby will be in a much better frame of mind. The first 6 months is always the hardest and then things slowly start to get better. Please come back and share how things are going...someone is always around to listen and give you support.
    Best wishes...Sue (age 61)
  • DitZy2
    DitZy2 Member Posts: 38
    allmost60 said:

    Welcome..
    Hi Diane,
    Welcome to our group. You will find tremendous support here. I was diagnosed with Follicular NHL-stage3-grade2-typeA-in June of 2010. I had the CVP-R chemo which is a little less harsh than the R-CHOP. I am now doing Rituxan maint every 2 months over the next year and a half(just finished my 5th infusion). As John and Joannie has said, your husband is going to be fine. It won't be easy, but it's totally do-able. A year from now you and hubby will be in a much better frame of mind. The first 6 months is always the hardest and then things slowly start to get better. Please come back and share how things are going...someone is always around to listen and give you support.
    Best wishes...Sue (age 61)

    Thanks
    to John, Joanie and Sue for your replies.

    I'm sitting in the hospital with my husband for his first treatment, so far all is going good only 3 more hourse to go.

    Your replies give me much hope. I lost my 40yr old sister to Ovarianc Cancer in February of this year so when my husband was diagnosed I automatically was fearing the worse. This board has been a great support to me just reading of others battles and victories!

    People like you make the days easier and I've put it in the Lord's hands and no matter what we will get through this, just taking one day at a time.

    Hugs to all of you!
  • sherbell
    sherbell Member Posts: 2
    allmost60 said:

    Welcome..
    Hi Diane,
    Welcome to our group. You will find tremendous support here. I was diagnosed with Follicular NHL-stage3-grade2-typeA-in June of 2010. I had the CVP-R chemo which is a little less harsh than the R-CHOP. I am now doing Rituxan maint every 2 months over the next year and a half(just finished my 5th infusion). As John and Joannie has said, your husband is going to be fine. It won't be easy, but it's totally do-able. A year from now you and hubby will be in a much better frame of mind. The first 6 months is always the hardest and then things slowly start to get better. Please come back and share how things are going...someone is always around to listen and give you support.
    Best wishes...Sue (age 61)

    Been going thru treatment with my mom
    Your comments gave me a lot of confidence as my mom is in her 4 month of treatment for Large B cell lymphoma. She has been so weak and will not eat. She has had to have many blood transfusions because her HCT gets so low. She was diagnosed one week after my dad passed away so this whole cancer issue is on top of losing the my dad whom she was married to 53 years. Just yesterday she said that she wished she would just go ahead and die cause they are going to give her another pint of blood. Someone recommended this place so that I could get in touch with some other caregivers, but reading post from actual people who are going thru this helps me to understand it all a little bit better.....Thank you so much.
    Sherri B
  • DitZy2
    DitZy2 Member Posts: 38
    sherbell said:

    Been going thru treatment with my mom
    Your comments gave me a lot of confidence as my mom is in her 4 month of treatment for Large B cell lymphoma. She has been so weak and will not eat. She has had to have many blood transfusions because her HCT gets so low. She was diagnosed one week after my dad passed away so this whole cancer issue is on top of losing the my dad whom she was married to 53 years. Just yesterday she said that she wished she would just go ahead and die cause they are going to give her another pint of blood. Someone recommended this place so that I could get in touch with some other caregivers, but reading post from actual people who are going thru this helps me to understand it all a little bit better.....Thank you so much.
    Sherri B

    My heart goes out to you!
    I wish I had something to say that would help. I feel for you because 8 months ago when my sister passed I worried so much for my mom, she has COPD and has since quit her oxygen at night and I see her health declining but there is nothing me or my other sister can do or say to make her start using it again...she's so stubborn at times!!!

    Before my husbands diagnosis they said there was a good chance it was lung cancer which my husband said he would not even do chemo for but would enjoy the time he had left. So when we heard the diagnosis of B large cell lymphoma I about jumped out of my chair with joy. There was hope, I can't even go to the dark side and think of the worse.

    I did realize after the week of worry, crying and asking why me again...that I had to put it in the Lord's hands and accept whatever happened and make the best of whatever was going on because I had no control over any of it.

    I hope I don't sound stupid I'm not good at putting my thoughts or feelings into words.

    All we can do is be there for them, just like everyone on this board is here for us...thank God for that!
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    DitZy2 said:

    Thanks
    to John, Joanie and Sue for your replies.

    I'm sitting in the hospital with my husband for his first treatment, so far all is going good only 3 more hourse to go.

    Your replies give me much hope. I lost my 40yr old sister to Ovarianc Cancer in February of this year so when my husband was diagnosed I automatically was fearing the worse. This board has been a great support to me just reading of others battles and victories!

    People like you make the days easier and I've put it in the Lord's hands and no matter what we will get through this, just taking one day at a time.

    Hugs to all of you!

    First treatment...
    Hi Diane,
    I'm sure today has been a long one for both you and your hubby. I remember my first round....8 hours at the clinic..UGH! I think I was finally able to take a nice deep breath after my 3rd round and midway CT scan. It was such a relief to hear that my tumors had shrunk 40% or greater after just 3 rounds. Things got a bit more peaceful from that point on, knowing progress was being made. I'll keep good thoughts that your husband will make the same progress. Try to stay as positive thinking as possible. Hope his week goes fairly well...have him rest and drink lots of water. Stay strong...Sue (FNHL-2-3a-6/10)
    P.S....I'm so very sorry about your sister...I have 7 sisters and know how special each one is to me.
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    DitZy2 said:

    My heart goes out to you!
    I wish I had something to say that would help. I feel for you because 8 months ago when my sister passed I worried so much for my mom, she has COPD and has since quit her oxygen at night and I see her health declining but there is nothing me or my other sister can do or say to make her start using it again...she's so stubborn at times!!!

    Before my husbands diagnosis they said there was a good chance it was lung cancer which my husband said he would not even do chemo for but would enjoy the time he had left. So when we heard the diagnosis of B large cell lymphoma I about jumped out of my chair with joy. There was hope, I can't even go to the dark side and think of the worse.

    I did realize after the week of worry, crying and asking why me again...that I had to put it in the Lord's hands and accept whatever happened and make the best of whatever was going on because I had no control over any of it.

    I hope I don't sound stupid I'm not good at putting my thoughts or feelings into words.

    All we can do is be there for them, just like everyone on this board is here for us...thank God for that!

    My heart too!!!
    Hi Sherri,
    I can't even imagine how hard all of this is on you and your mom. First your dad and now your mom...seems so darn un-fair! I so wish people didn't have to get things heaped on them. I will keep good thoughts and prayers for you and your mom. Be sure to try and take time for yourself. My heart hurts for all you have and still are having to deal with.
    Much love...Sue (FNHL-2-3a-6/10)
  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    sherbell said:

    Been going thru treatment with my mom
    Your comments gave me a lot of confidence as my mom is in her 4 month of treatment for Large B cell lymphoma. She has been so weak and will not eat. She has had to have many blood transfusions because her HCT gets so low. She was diagnosed one week after my dad passed away so this whole cancer issue is on top of losing the my dad whom she was married to 53 years. Just yesterday she said that she wished she would just go ahead and die cause they are going to give her another pint of blood. Someone recommended this place so that I could get in touch with some other caregivers, but reading post from actual people who are going thru this helps me to understand it all a little bit better.....Thank you so much.
    Sherri B

    Lots of hope :)
    Hi Sherri and Ditzy,

    I just recently finished R-EPOCH for DLBL (Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma ).
    DLBL is agressive but very treatable and considered curable.
    So far, I'm doing well and want to offer you guys encouragement and
    hope!

    I have been so fortunate in this journey so far and I'm thankful.
    The guys here are great!

    Hugs and positive and warm wishes,

    Jim
  • gpespinosa
    gpespinosa Member Posts: 25
    Stay Positive
    DitZy2,
    I had the same type of cancer last year and had 6 rounds of RCHOP. As others have stated it is a cancer with good odds and I wish your husband and yourself the best. Your husband is very lucky to have you as a caregiver. I can honestly say my experience wasnt too bad because I did have a lot of help from loved ones. The nausea medication would actually give me really bad headaches so instead of taking them I would just try and sleep as much as I could so I didnt feel the side effects. The first couple of rounds werent too bad for me either, but yup by the fourth one the body was pretty achy. I had to just keep positive and remind myself I was almost done. Please keep us updated on his progress and we are here if you need us :)

    Gaby