UPDATE-->Question: Swollen Breast and Pink Skin with Pains, Normal?

Options

Comments

• robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    Options

Today
    Thanks for checking in with me - this is why I love you all.

My rad Dr. suggests I finish the antibiotics before doing anything else. She says it takes a long time for cellulitis to heal - that it is common with lumpectomies for the breast to to behave in this way. My other Dr. suggested a sono to make sure there is no liquid inside that needs to be drained, but after today's appt., they both decided to wait a few more weeks to see it it improves.

My breast is definitely less angry (as the Dr. stated), but it still red and hurts from time to time.

I guess I'll wait a week and see. Will keep you updated.

Thank you sisters!

Yep, sounds very familiar. I
    Yep, sounds very familiar. I have had it 3 times already in addition to right after surgery. It is very painful and takes forever to go away! If at the end of your meds it's not 100% better make sure they give you more or it will come back! I have been on cipro once for a month and the last time for 10 days. Also been on another med for 10 days. I was never given clindamicen though. Let me know how it works for you. I may need a new drug if it comes back again. It is very common for it to come back over and over so keep on top of it. I sort of ignored it the second time and it got really bad! Good luck!

Angela
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    sinee said:

still red and still swollen
    Yes I had a lumpectomy too, and still have one swollen breast, pulling pain, needle like prickly pains too. My raidation also ended in August, my surgery was in April...seeing my massage therapist helped reduce the swelling, because she was able to move the fluid along. I missed seeing her for 2 weeks and am swollen up again...looking forward to seeing her on Thursday, will keep you posted~but always talk to the docs...if it is "normal" why the hell don't they tell us what to expect in the first place...arghhhh....Sinee

I've never heard of this
    I've never heard of this either, so, I appreciate the info, not the fact that you have it, any of you.

I hope you all get answers and can get it cleared up.

Hugs, Jan
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    GMcD said:

Hi. I am now being treated
    Hi. I am now being treated for my third bout with cellulitis and I'm out of rads for 16 months. I was scared this time as I not only had the pains but itchiness and a spot on my nipple that was slightly indented and flaky. Had an emergency mammo and ultrasound today..all clear, but cellulitis again. The doc added more antibiotic treatment this time around. Hope everyone is feeling better. I know I feel better knowing I haven't developed a secondary cancer.

Hi -- Just following up,
    Hi -- Just following up, they're extending my treatment so that I get 3 weeks worth of antibiotics instead of 2 (4 times a day). I haven't gotten this cleared up yet. How long did it take you? :(
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Hi -- Just following up,
    Hi -- Just following up, they're extending my treatment so that I get 3 weeks worth of antibiotics instead of 2 (4 times a day). I haven't gotten this cleared up yet. How long did it take you? :(

Are they extending your
    Are they extending your treatment because it isn't getting better?

So sorry..

Sue :)
  • LoveBabyJesus
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Are they extending your
    Are they extending your treatment because it isn't getting better?

So sorry..

Sue :)

Yes Sue, it's kinda the
    Yes Sue, it's kinda the same. :(

they extended my pills to 20 days, 4X daily- that's 160 pills! :-/ I wonder if this takes so long to be cleared.
  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 134
    Options

I've never heard of this
    I've never heard of this either, so, I appreciate the info, not the fact that you have it, any of you.

I hope you all get answers and can get it cleared up.

Hugs, Jan

Hi. I also am doing an
    Hi. I also am doing an increase in treatment meds. Originally treated with 10 days, 2 capsules of keflex. Obviously not enouh as I'm doing my third treatment. I now am taking 3 capsules a day for 21 days. Still not feeling great after almost a week. Will give it a few more days then will call doc again. Hope this finds you all well.
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    Options
    GMcD said:

Hi. I also am doing an
    Hi. I also am doing an increase in treatment meds. Originally treated with 10 days, 2 capsules of keflex. Obviously not enouh as I'm doing my third treatment. I now am taking 3 capsules a day for 21 days. Still not feeling great after almost a week. Will give it a few more days then will call doc again. Hope this finds you all well.

Boy do I remember this -
    Boy do I remember this - even after 27 years! My lumpectomy breast was swollen for about 6-7 months and I had the zinging pain off and on for a year. I'm sorry you have to go through this. I'm glad it feels like it's getting better.

Take care,
    Pam
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Pam5 said:

Boy do I remember this -
    Boy do I remember this - even after 27 years! My lumpectomy breast was swollen for about 6-7 months and I had the zinging pain off and on for a year. I'm sorry you have to go through this. I'm glad it feels like it's getting better.

Take care,
    Pam

So sorry for your pain .. and stress!!
    keeping in touch with your Doctor is a sound plan .. extended antibiotics ..as well.

Lots of gentle hugs -- and prayers.

Vicki Sam
  • robang13
    Options

Hi -- Just following up,

It took me forever! The
    It took me forever! The first time I was on cipro for a month!! The second time I was on an Cephalexin for 12 days. The third time cipro again for 2 weeks. You are on clindimicin which is weaker than those so it may take a LOT longer! The Cephalexin worked the fastest but it is a cousin to penicillin so I wound up with a different rash from that. If you are not allergic to penicillin you should be on Cephalexin. It works the best. But do not lose hope. It will clear up sooner or later. It is an ongoing battle for me. I think I may be getting another re-accurance now. It starts off with the chills,feeling tired, then my heart beats harder, then the rash. I hope once you clear yours up it'll be gone forever!

Do you notice any improvement at all?

Angela
  • LoveBabyJesus
    Options
    robang13 said:

It took me forever! The
    It took me forever! The first time I was on cipro for a month!! The second time I was on an Cephalexin for 12 days. The third time cipro again for 2 weeks. You are on clindimicin which is weaker than those so it may take a LOT longer! The Cephalexin worked the fastest but it is a cousin to penicillin so I wound up with a different rash from that. If you are not allergic to penicillin you should be on Cephalexin. It works the best. But do not lose hope. It will clear up sooner or later. It is an ongoing battle for me. I think I may be getting another re-accurance now. It starts off with the chills,feeling tired, then my heart beats harder, then the rash. I hope once you clear yours up it'll be gone forever!

Do you notice any improvement at all?

Angela

Hi Angela -- I'm sorry you
    Hi Angela -- I'm sorry you too! Ugh!

Funny you mentioned penicillin as I may be allergic to it as well. This is why they gave me this other nasty pill, but I'm getting 160 pills, one every 6 hrs a day for 20 days (300mg). I don't like taking pills, especially after chemo - but my breast has me worried. It looks about the same: swollen and red. I do noticed it gets worse when I wear support bras so lately I've left them hang freely. I pray for the best.
  • LoveBabyJesus
    Options
    VickiSam said:

keeping in touch with your Doctor is a sound plan .. extended antibiotics ..as well.

Vicki Sam

Thank you all for your kind
    Thank you all for your kind wishes. I'll keep you posted as I go.
  • robang13
    Options

Hi Angela -- I'm sorry you
    Hi Angela -- I'm sorry you too! Ugh!

Funny you mentioned penicillin as I may be allergic to it as well. This is why they gave me this other nasty pill, but I'm getting 160 pills, one every 6 hrs a day for 20 days (300mg). I don't like taking pills, especially after chemo - but my breast has me worried. It looks about the same: swollen and red. I do noticed it gets worse when I wear support bras so lately I've left them hang freely. I pray for the best.

It's possible these pills
    It's possible these pills won't work well for you. You can take cipro. It's a very strong med that may be why they didn't want to give it to you. But it works for me. BUT it will take time. It all depends on how long you've had the infection before you start the meds. The last time I caught it in the beginning and it worked quickly. I hear you on the bra issue. Whenever I wore one I hurt even more. I haven't worn any unless I have to really dress up. I've been wearing a cami under another shirt and it works good enough. I am NOT small breasted but it looks ok. You should not restrict the breast at all. That will increase the pressure and it seems to swell and hurt more. You have to clear this up though, so keep taking the meds until it is all better. It got to the point that I would gag with every pill. But you have to chug on...If it's not atleast halfway better in another week, I would ask for a different pill. By the end of 15 days it should be atleast half better. I wish you luck. I know how uncomfortable it is. Keep in touch so I know how you are doing!!Oh, did he tell you to use warm compresses? That helps a lot!

Angela
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

Yes, keep us updated as to
    Yes, keep us updated as to how you are doing.

Hugs, Kylez
  • robang13
    Options

Thank you all for your kind
    Thank you all for your kind wishes. I'll keep you posted as I go.

How are you doing?!
    I just wanted to know how you are doing? Does the breast feel any better? I was just thinking of you : )

Angela
  • LoveBabyJesus
    Options
    robang13 said:

How are you doing?!
    I just wanted to know how you are doing? Does the breast feel any better? I was just thinking of you : )

Angela

Hi Angela --thanks for
    Hi Angela --thanks for checking up on me, so sweet of you.

My breast is not as red as before and it's a little less swollen, but boy is this taking a loooong time to heal? It hurts to the touch, when I examine myself. I feel so much scar tissue there too I get scared that there is a hidden surprise (does this happen to you?). Anyway, I'm on the 4rth week? I have another 2 to go and I pray that it goes away.

How are you feeling?
  • robang13
    Options

Hi Angela --thanks for

My breast is not as red as before and it's a little less swollen, but boy is this taking a loooong time to heal? It hurts to the touch, when I examine myself. I feel so much scar tissue there too I get scared that there is a hidden surprise (does this happen to you?). Anyway, I'm on the 4rth week? I have another 2 to go and I pray that it goes away.

How are you feeling?

As long as it's improving
    As long as it's improving that's good. It's taking this long because of the antibiotic. You're taking the least strongest one so it will take longer. When mine is inflamed it hurts to touch, to lean on and anything else! My incision is underneath so I feel all that under the breast. When there is no infection I can touch my breast without pain. Hopefully after the next two weeks it will all be gone. If it isn't please ask for cipro. If it's not all gone it will come back w/i a few weeks and you will have to go through this all over again. Hopefully this will be your only bought with this and you won't be like me. I'm feeling ok. I'm going to my surgeon on Monday for him to have a look and to tell him about the last 3 infections. My rad onc wants his two cents on why this keeps happening. Gee, does the fun ever end??!!

Have a Happy Turkey Day!! Let me know how you are doing!!

Angela
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Hi Angela --thanks for

How are you feeling?

How are you doing now
    How are you doing now LoveBabyJesus? Hoping that you are better.

Hugs, Megan
  • robang13
    Options

Hi Angela --thanks for

How are you feeling?

How are you doing? I just
    How are you doing? I just came back from my visit with my surgeon and he confirmed that I am infected once again! So round 4 of cellulitis for me! He put me on cipro for a week for now. He says that some woman are just prone to this and will get it over and over again until it stops. He says some get it once a year at the same time. He also said it has something to do with the surgery and then the radiation and how it changes the cells. Whatever the cause, I am once again on antibiotics! I hope yours is better? Let me know how you are doing!!!

Angela
  • LoveBabyJesus
    Options
    robang13 said:

How are you doing? I just
    How are you doing? I just came back from my visit with my surgeon and he confirmed that I am infected once again! So round 4 of cellulitis for me! He put me on cipro for a week for now. He says that some woman are just prone to this and will get it over and over again until it stops. He says some get it once a year at the same time. He also said it has something to do with the surgery and then the radiation and how it changes the cells. Whatever the cause, I am once again on antibiotics! I hope yours is better? Let me know how you are doing!!!

Angela

oh my!
    Hi Angela - I'm sorry this is round 4 for you. They are really annoying, aren't they? (not complaining). You can't lay down, wear bras, and breasts feel heavy. For me it is a little better. The swollen changes from time to time, sometimes it feels much better, but then it goes back to the same thing. I'm still on antibiotics for another 2 weeks, probably, so I pray it goes away and I get a nice break from this. Interesting what your Dr. said. My Dr. didn't really explain it to me, he just said that the tissue has been cut (twice) so there's a lack of fluid flow causing the infection. But as long as it's not c, and we can treat it, I think we'll be alright. I will keep watching mine and keep you posted. I am taking clindamycin (300mg), 4 times a day. I hope I won't need something stronger. But I also want to feel better.

I hope yours goes away after a week and you won't have to worry about this ever again! Please keep me updated as well.

Hugs
  • robang13
    Options

oh my!
    Hi Angela - I'm sorry this is round 4 for you. They are really annoying, aren't they? (not complaining). You can't lay down, wear bras, and breasts feel heavy. For me it is a little better. The swollen changes from time to time, sometimes it feels much better, but then it goes back to the same thing. I'm still on antibiotics for another 2 weeks, probably, so I pray it goes away and I get a nice break from this. Interesting what your Dr. said. My Dr. didn't really explain it to me, he just said that the tissue has been cut (twice) so there's a lack of fluid flow causing the infection. But as long as it's not c, and we can treat it, I think we'll be alright. I will keep watching mine and keep you posted. I am taking clindamycin (300mg), 4 times a day. I hope I won't need something stronger. But I also want to feel better.

I hope yours goes away after a week and you won't have to worry about this ever again! Please keep me updated as well.

Hugs

So, you were cut twice too?
    So, you were cut twice too? hmmm. After my second surgery just a week after the first, I got a real bad infection that oozed out of the incision for like 3 weeks. It was so gross and worse than the actual surgery! That was my first trip with cellulitis. The surgeon actually did a sonogram in his office today and said there was some fluid and lots of scar tissue but nothing to make him want to do more than the antibiotics. I was just glad there was nothing there. I was kinda nervous there might be, so that was a relief! And yes, when I wear a bra, I ache for days after. And try to sleep on that side is torture! I can tell it is swollen because it gets bigger than the normal breast when it should be smaller because of the surgeries. Has the redness gone down? That's a big part of it that and the heaviness. Let's keep our fingers crossed that both of ours goes away real soon. It is nice to talk to some-one going through it though. I felt like I was alone with this since no-one else really ever knew what I was talking about. Keep in touch!!!
    Hugs to you too!!!
    Angela