Radition for Bone Mets/Pain? Other treatments?

I am having intense pain in my legs, like difficult to walk some days. I have been on Femara for 18 months. Before I would have a few aches, bothersome but I was able to manage.

Had a bone scan last week, and it showed no progression of the bone mets.

But I was shocked when my doctor said none of my multiple mets showed any change. I did not know I had multiple mets, I knew about the spine and my husband knew about the ribs, but somehow we were not informed how widespread they are. The spine one is all they have spoken of and I know it is a major concern.

Is the pain from the Femara, a common side effect, or from the mets in my legs? Sometimes you can have a blood clot? The intense pain started after a long driving trip.

I see the Radition Oncologist tomorrow, but according to my oncologist he is likely to just prescribe pain meds.

ellen

Comments

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Ellen, I wish I could help
    Ellen, I wish I could help you out and give you some answers. There are some pink sisters on here with bone mets and I know they will reply to you.

I am so sorry you are having this pain.

Hugs, Noel
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Hi Ellen
    I have mets to all my bones and some days (yesterday was one of them), I can hardly walk. I now have an electric chair which helps me get around but it does nothing for the pain. I have had radiation 2 separate times on my pelvic/hips/tailbone and lower spine and it did help with the pain. But as time has gone by, the pain has intensified and is down my leg bones.

I have not been on Femera, but I am on Evista, and get a shot of Xgeva for my bones every 4 weeks, also 50,000 iu of vitamin d 1x week. Before the last round of radiation, the RO ordered an MRI for my spine and femurs which showed holes in the spine and active tumors, then had a bone scan which showed all the tumors in my ribs, shoulders, humerus bones.. etc. Said the pain in my legs also comes from swelling around the tumors in the spine and bum bones. Even tumors in my forehead and skull.

I am also on pain meds which I take regularly and use hot and cold packs on my back when it is necessary. I am on break from chemo after 9 months 3x a month. So will repeat all the tests in December.

Bottom line is the spine and legs hurt all the time, cant reach my feet to put on socks and shoes and when I fall I do not have the strength to get back up without help. If no one is around I have had to crawl to where I have something to pull myself up on.

Very thankful for the radiation to my hip area has allowed me to be mobile longer, and with the pain meds it is manageable most of the time.

Carol
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    camul said:

Hi Ellen
    I have mets to all my bones and some days (yesterday was one of them), I can hardly walk. I now have an electric chair which helps me get around but it does nothing for the pain. I have had radiation 2 separate times on my pelvic/hips/tailbone and lower spine and it did help with the pain. But as time has gone by, the pain has intensified and is down my leg bones.

I have not been on Femera, but I am on Evista, and get a shot of Xgeva for my bones every 4 weeks, also 50,000 iu of vitamin d 1x week. Before the last round of radiation, the RO ordered an MRI for my spine and femurs which showed holes in the spine and active tumors, then had a bone scan which showed all the tumors in my ribs, shoulders, humerus bones.. etc. Said the pain in my legs also comes from swelling around the tumors in the spine and bum bones. Even tumors in my forehead and skull.

I am also on pain meds which I take regularly and use hot and cold packs on my back when it is necessary. I am on break from chemo after 9 months 3x a month. So will repeat all the tests in December.

Bottom line is the spine and legs hurt all the time, cant reach my feet to put on socks and shoes and when I fall I do not have the strength to get back up without help. If no one is around I have had to crawl to where I have something to pull myself up on.

Very thankful for the radiation to my hip area has allowed me to be mobile longer, and with the pain meds it is manageable most of the time.

Carol

I'm so sorry Ellen. I hope
    I'm so sorry Ellen. I hope that your rads oncologist can give you some much needed answers tomorrow. Keep us updated.

Hugs, Diane
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    DianeBC said:

I'm so sorry Ellen. I hope
    I'm so sorry Ellen. I hope that your rads oncologist can give you some much needed answers tomorrow. Keep us updated.

Hugs, Diane

I take tamox
    I take tamoxfin and I have leg pain but not the reason for pain.I've had varicose veins for years. I went to a dermatologist and waiting for treatment on my legs.He is writing it up as medical and not cosmetic so insurance will pay for it.The problem is it takes Forever to get the OK.

Taking long trips without getting out and excercising can cause blood clots which are very serious.I remember after other surgeries I had I was told not to take long trips but if I ever did I must get out and walk/stretch every hour.One hospital is 5 hours from me and I had to stretch often after that surgery.Very important.

Like you mentioned you were on a long trip.Could very well be the problem.

Lynn Smith