i need a straight answer!

Options
mana1
mana1 Member Posts: 16
i feel selfish asking for answers, but you are the most informative wonderful women i have ever known. here are my simple questions: does anyone know:
1. is a lumpectomy necessary if the needle core biopsy shows non=malignant?
2. do they always do a lumpectomy after a needle core, regardless of the diagnosis?
3. if they always do the lumpectomy... why the pain and anguish waiting and doing the needle core?
i have tried to ask the doctors, but they all just basically say that is the way it is done, and i should just trust this process.

Comments

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Good questions!
    I will share my thoughts:

1. You don't always need a lumpectomy when there is a lump found. However, there are some tissues that are suspicious or that might develop into something else later. I remember reading this before I was Dx. I also know some cases where the biopsy can miss areas of the lump where there may be early stage cancers. It is best and more accurate to remove the entire lump - if solid - to get a final pathology report. Personally, if it doesn't belong there, remove it!

2. No, they don't always do a lumpectomy after a core needle biopsy. When a lump is b9, women are given the option to remove or leave...from my understanding.

3. I feel the same way about your question #3. In fact, I would rather remove lump and skip everything else. However, I believe Drs. do these biopsies for insurance purposes. I think they need a dx before surgery. I am not sure about this though - but I suspect it's because of insurance reasons.

I hope my answers helped. I am sure other ladies will share their knowledge and opinions.

Hugs
  • mana1
    mana1 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Good questions!
    I will share my thoughts:

1. You don't always need a lumpectomy when there is a lump found. However, there are some tissues that are suspicious or that might develop into something else later. I remember reading this before I was Dx. I also know some cases where the biopsy can miss areas of the lump where there may be early stage cancers. It is best and more accurate to remove the entire lump - if solid - to get a final pathology report. Personally, if it doesn't belong there, remove it!

2. No, they don't always do a lumpectomy after a core needle biopsy. When a lump is b9, women are given the option to remove or leave...from my understanding.

3. I feel the same way about your question #3. In fact, I would rather remove lump and skip everything else. However, I believe Drs. do these biopsies for insurance purposes. I think they need a dx before surgery. I am not sure about this though - but I suspect it's because of insurance reasons.

I hope my answers helped. I am sure other ladies will share their knowledge and opinions.

Hugs

thank you everyone
    thank you so very much... it really did answer my questions... i truly believe they should have just skipped to removal, but insurance, or research, or training and teaching.. each gave them a reason (or excuse) to do both procedures. i am grateful that no further treatment is needed... i have been bumped into a high-risk category now; which means nervousness over every 6-month exam...but for now, all is well.. thank you all for being here..
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Wow
    Those are good questions. I basically just trusted the process but hated that the process took too long. I wanted the offending tissue out yesterday and of course it all takes time.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Wow
    Those are good questions. I basically just trusted the process but hated that the process took too long. I wanted the offending tissue out yesterday and of course it all takes time.

I dont really know but I
    I dont really know but I would want the troublesome lump out, so I wouldnt have to worry about it. I am sure there are reasons why you would want to know the pathology prior to removal, perhaps how much tissue you take out? Or if you need chemo first.
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    An answer for number 3.
    If

An answer for number 3.
    If the tumor had been malignant, they may have started chemo before surgery. Alot of times, a biopsy in radiology is quicker to schedule than surgery. If you wanted recon at the same time that would also push surgery out. The tumor markers and grade will also determine treatment, including your best option of surgery (lumpectomy vs mastectomy).

As far as number 1. If you had "atypical cells", those are generally pre-cancer and a good idea to have removed. I am not sure if DCIS is labeled non-malignant, but that too is important to remove.

If the doctors continue to not answer your questions, you may want to ask for a doctor that will answer your questions. It is very important that you have a good rapport with your doctor.
  • ShirleyCurls
    ShirleyCurls Member Posts: 51
    Options
    My mammogram showed a lump,
    My mammogram showed a lump, very small. I then had a ultrasound and later a needle biospy. The result was negative, but it was dividing and had the potential to develop into cancer.

One doctor said we should watch it and have mammograms twice a year to monitior it. Ugh.

My oncologist felt it should come out since I have already had cancer in the other breast. Also, it was small, easier to take out, easier recovery. I will still have mammograms but not as often. In addition, it was tested after removal thus confirming the negative result.

Part of the needle core procedure allows them to insert a marker so they can monitor the lump later, and it helps them if there is a lumpectomy.

Breast Cancer usually does not occur into your second breast, but it can. Also if it does it can be another type of Breast Cancer.

I agree with your frustration with doctors!
  • Ballerina
    Ballerina Member Posts: 152
    Options
    I have had 5 needle core biospys. Three on the right 2 on the left. At the time, the test were negative. However, they put clips in my breast and monitored me for 2yrs. It wasn't until calcification showed in my right breast during a mammo. That's when I had my last needle core biospy. Test was positive for cancer so they did a lumpectomy and radiation. Unfortunately, a year later, I had a reoccurance in the same breast and area. Maybe they should have removed those lumps the other three times. I hope all goes well for you.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    mana1 said:

thank you everyone
    thank you so very much... it really did answer my questions... i truly believe they should have just skipped to removal, but insurance, or research, or training and teaching.. each gave them a reason (or excuse) to do both procedures. i am grateful that no further treatment is needed... i have been bumped into a high-risk category now; which means nervousness over every 6-month exam...but for now, all is well.. thank you all for being here..

I'm glad everyone was able
    I'm glad everyone was able to answer your questions Mana. Sending positive thoughts and lots of hugs!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    We are all different!
    Not all types of BC are the same - some are treated with Chemo BEFORE surgery - be it lumpectomy or mastectomy. So the biopsy(s) are needed to get the right TX lined up.

In my case I saw my PA in the morning, had a mammo about 1 followed immediately by a Sono and the Dr coming in and doing the needle biopsies and had the pathology the next morning about 8 am. I didn't find the biopsies painful at all - Dr shot the areas up with 'pain stuff' and all I felt was a bit of pressure. Also because I'm IBC (Inflammatory BC) I had chemo before and after surgery along with rads after Taxol.

No a lumpectomy does not automatically follow - sometimes it's a mastectomy.

We are each unique as is our cancer(s). Our Dr.s are different in their approach to dealing with it - so there is no "one way" that is for all.

Susan