I qualified for the clinical trial and started chemo on Friday morning!

chenheart
chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
For some odd reason, I keep having a hard time logging into CSN and I miss all of you Kindreds!

My wonderful, caring, great oncologist and I decided that the Faslodex was not doing as much as we wanted, and as he is ivolved with a clinical trial he is very excited about, he wanted me to be tested to see if I fit the criteria ! I had a battery of tests, and I do!
It is Phase 3 of a trial being done at UCLA, though I don't have to travel to Los Angeles, but I can be treated locally.
So~ Friday I had my first chemotherapy. Taxotere and then either an investigational drug or a placebo ( it is a double blind study so I won't know which I am getting) and then the Zometa to keep my bones strong. For good measure, or because I am a glutton for punishment,I also had a flu shot that day!

I tolerated it sorta ok~ but did end up on pain meds last night. Thankfully my oncologist is the on call Dr this weekend, so he knew who I was and I had almost no explaining to do! Pain is gone, rash set it, so he sent me to the pharmacy for Benedryl. I am holding off on taking it, as I don't want to fall asleep by 5:30! LOL

Reggie is as always taking excellent care of me, and Siobhan was there with me for my chemo as well. She did this with me 8 years ago~ there was no talking her out of going with me on Friday! I convinced her that I was well enough to cut and color her hair on Thursday afternoon, and it was a good trade off! We had a fun evening together, and she spent the night and off we went to chemo in the AM. All things considered, it was a good day. All things considered.

Just wanted to check in with all of you; I miss you so much! So, hugs and love to all of you and I hope that whatever is up with CSN and me will resolve itself, and I can get in here more regularly! Happy Birthday to any of you, congrats on finishing treatment, or for getting that job, or standing up for yourself,or hugging your chemo nurse, or well, fill in the blanks!!!

Hugs,
Chen♥

Comments

• sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Oh, Chen, we miss you, too!
    I know how difficult it can be to get on this site. Feeling sorta ok is pretty good! I am so happy that you qualified for the trial - I hope that it is tolerable. Nobody gets their Grrr on like you do.

Love, hugs and Hershey kisses,

Sue
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    It's ALWAYS good to hear from you...
    You're so dear to all your posts are very much missed if we don't hear from you. I've heard others complain about the unsuccess in getting into the website.

I'm so sorry about the pain and rash. Its good to see your Onc is working closely with you. As always, I hope and pray the meds are effective.

Your family sounds sooo special! What a beautiful things to have such loving support Chen. It makes all the difference.

Expecting granbaby #2. The kids have the gender sealed in an envelope and will reveal it next week at a dinner to all. Not even THEY know! I can tell you...makes no difference to me!! :D

Sending you love & hugs!

Sylvia
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    sea60 said:

It's ALWAYS good to hear from you...
    You're so dear to all your posts are very much missed if we don't hear from you. I've heard others complain about the unsuccess in getting into the website.

I'm so sorry about the pain and rash. Its good to see your Onc is working closely with you. As always, I hope and pray the meds are effective.

Your family sounds sooo special! What a beautiful things to have such loving support Chen. It makes all the difference.

Expecting granbaby #2. The kids have the gender sealed in an envelope and will reveal it next week at a dinner to all. Not even THEY know! I can tell you...makes no difference to me!! :D

Sending you love & hugs!

Sylvia

Oh, THERE you are!
    Thank you, thank you, for checking in with us. I hate it when we don't hear. Sorry the Taxotere did such a number on you. Makes me wonder if you're getting the new drug, too, and not the placebo. This, of course, is based on my extensive (not) medical (also not) background.

I'm thinking of you often and keeping you in my prayers.

Love,
    Suzanne

PS I love your new oncologist, too. Glad you kicked the noncologist to the curb.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Oh, THERE you are!
    Thank you, thank you, for checking in with us. I hate it when we don't hear. Sorry the Taxotere did such a number on you. Makes me wonder if you're getting the new drug, too, and not the placebo. This, of course, is based on my extensive (not) medical (also not) background.

I'm thinking of you often and keeping you in my prayers.

Love,
    Suzanne

PS I love your new oncologist, too. Glad you kicked the noncologist to the curb.

Hi Claudia, I hope you are feeling better
    Hi Claudia, today is Monday night. How are you doing? I have had Taxotere and Cytoxan at UCLA. It was not fun. My biggest problem after the first one was constipation. Please PM me for comprehensive tips on this subject.
    Sending positive thoughts to your way
    New Flower
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Glad you qualified
    Glad you qualified for the clinical trial. Stage 3 is a pretty safe stage to be in too. Thank you for taking part in the research as it assists us in finding new effective treatments and ruling out ones that aren't so good.

I have no internet at home, so the only time I have to do internet is on 3rd shift after all my duties are completed. Well as you can imagine, there are few people on at 3 and 4 am so I have very few difficulties.

Glad your family is treating you well through all of this.
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Somehow I missed this post
    Sorry you have had trouble with this new protocol. But hoping you are on the "good" stuff and that it is doing amazing things for you

Please try to fight your way on here to keep us posted.

Sending you positive thoughts and lots of prayers,

Jennifer
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am so glad that you felt
    I am so glad that you felt up to it enough to check in. I miss your cheery voice. I am so sorry that the faslodex didn't work for you and I am hoping the trial meds do the trick. Sending you hugs and prayers for healing.
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member

I am so glad that you felt
    I am so glad that you felt up to it enough to check in. I miss your cheery voice. I am so sorry that the faslodex didn't work for you and I am hoping the trial meds do the trick. Sending you hugs and prayers for healing.

Smiling
    You always put a smile on my face. So glad that you qualified for the trials and praying that they kick butt!

Keep us updated when you feel like posting.

Hugs,
    Debi
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    Good to hear from you Chen.
    Good to hear from you Chen. Still keeping you in prayer!
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    MGNS said:

Good to hear from you Chen.
    Good to hear from you Chen. Still keeping you in prayer!

Chen, so happy that
    your newest treatment has begun. Keep in mind that Taxotere is known to produce good results, even by itself. So...if you're in the group with the other "real stuff", that's just an added weapon! If you've never had Zometa before, it's usually the first one that's the hardest as far as aches and pains are concerned, after that it's not normally a big concern. Maybe I missed something when I read your post - what is your schedule for infusions? Hoping for you and all concerned that this is the BEST blind study ever!
    Marsha
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896

Chen, so happy that
    your newest treatment has begun. Keep in mind that Taxotere is known to produce good results, even by itself. So...if you're in the group with the other "real stuff", that's just an added weapon! If you've never had Zometa before, it's usually the first one that's the hardest as far as aches and pains are concerned, after that it's not normally a big concern. Maybe I missed something when I read your post - what is your schedule for infusions? Hoping for you and all concerned that this is the BEST blind study ever!
    Marsha

Hope each
    day you feel better - as you know it takes some getting used to the treatments. I'm praying this one works well for you and we'll all be celebrating your dancing with NED again soon!! Take good care and know you are so very much loved!
    -Jenny
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Hope each
    day you feel better - as you know it takes some getting used to the treatments. I'm praying this one works well for you and we'll all be celebrating your dancing with NED again soon!! Take good care and know you are so very much loved!
    -Jenny

Wonderful to hear from you dear Hummingbird ...
    I am sorry to hear about the side efforts of Taxol (been there, done that drug) know first hand some of the ugliness Taxol has to offer us. Happy you are in a clinical trial that will kill the beast -- !!!

Reggie and Siobhan are 2 strong WARRIORS to have in your corner. Their commitment and love is apparent and overwhelming ---

Stay strong .. and do when you have to, so you can do what you want to

Strength, Courage and Hope for a CURE.

Vicki Sam