Colonscopy

Phoebesnow
Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
I am wondering how many other people had pre cancerous polyps found at the time of anal cancer diagnosis.

I had two large ademonous (spelling?) polyps removed during the colonscopy, some hyper plastic polyps were also found at that time. My doctors never even discussed this with me, as if everyone has polyps and it's no big deal. But, every once in a while I hear them mentioned in different discussions, and it seems I should be a little more worried than what I am, or have been.

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Polyps
    I've had 3 colonoscopies and no polyps have ever been found that I am aware of. Upon getting my first colonoscopy, my colorectal surgeon had already found my anal tumor by anoscopy. My husband had a colonoscopy and had a polyp, which was removed and biopsied--negative. The gastro doc that did his scope told us after the scope that he was sure it was not cancerous. I think a good doc usually can tell is something looks suspicious. If I were you, I would just ask for a copy of your colonoscopy report.
  • BeaRose
    BeaRose Member Posts: 45
    mp327 said:

Polyps
    I've had 3 colonoscopies and no polyps have ever been found that I am aware of. Upon getting my first colonoscopy, my colorectal surgeon had already found my anal tumor by anoscopy. My husband had a colonoscopy and had a polyp, which was removed and biopsied--negative. The gastro doc that did his scope told us after the scope that he was sure it was not cancerous. I think a good doc usually can tell is something looks suspicious. If I were you, I would just ask for a copy of your colonoscopy report.

colonoscopy
    My Dr. told me that other than my tumor my intestinal tract is in beautiful condition. No polyps.
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    BeaRose said:

colonoscopy
    My Dr. told me that other than my tumor my intestinal tract is in beautiful condition. No polyps.

colonoscopy
    I had 3 polyps, 2 of which are always found to be benign. I had 1 rectal polyp that was pre cancerous but is known to turn into cancer if not removed. I have to have a colonoscopy every 3 years, the 1st 3 year one is in April of 2012, in which I hope there will be none. Phobesnow, your drs should explain your polyps to you, I was informed that I have to have the colonoscopy every 3 years by the general surgeon who performed the colonoscopy. I have pictures of my polyps also. Lori
  • Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    z said:

colonoscopy
    I had 3 polyps, 2 of which are always found to be benign. I had 1 rectal polyp that was pre cancerous but is known to turn into cancer if not removed. I have to have a colonoscopy every 3 years, the 1st 3 year one is in April of 2012, in which I hope there will be none. Phobesnow, your drs should explain your polyps to you, I was informed that I have to have the colonoscopy every 3 years by the general surgeon who performed the colonoscopy. I have pictures of my polyps also. Lori

Polyps
    Yes I have report, two adenomas r pre cancer and hyper plastic benign. No one ever discussed with me as focus was on anal tumor. All I know about polyps is from own research done in past two days. Colonscopy was done at outside facility, polyps were removed then and biopsy of tumor was done at that time. Surgeon just sent me to oncology, never mentioned polyps, radiation oncologist, who is head of my treatment never mentioned either. So, I thought polyps no matter what kind are insignificant, but I note here and other discussion boards that they r regarded as a serious indicator of possible colon cancer in the future. Just worrying. I will discuss with my doctorssssssss.
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member

Polyps
    Yes I have report, two adenomas r pre cancer and hyper plastic benign. No one ever discussed with me as focus was on anal tumor. All I know about polyps is from own research done in past two days. Colonscopy was done at outside facility, polyps were removed then and biopsy of tumor was done at that time. Surgeon just sent me to oncology, never mentioned polyps, radiation oncologist, who is head of my treatment never mentioned either. So, I thought polyps no matter what kind are insignificant, but I note here and other discussion boards that they r regarded as a serious indicator of possible colon cancer in the future. Just worrying. I will discuss with my doctorssssssss.

Phoebesnow
    Yes please discuss with your drs, the only thing I have to do is have a colonoscopy 3 years after the 1st, rather than the 5 year or 10 year re check, to make sure everything is good.