Implant has herniated - Needs to be replaced

Options
jessiesmom1
jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
Hello to the Pink Ladies & Gentlemen,

I had my tissue expander replaced with a saline implant on 6/13/11. I had the normal follow-up appointments and told the reconstructive surgeon that I was not happy with the shape of the new foob several times. He basically said that is the way it is going to be and there is nothing I can do about it. He was ready to move on to the nipple reconstruction and areola tattoo. It seems to me that you don't put icing on a damaged cake (so to speak) so last week I decided to get a 2nd opinion. I went to a surgeon that was recommended by my primary care physician. She took 1 look at me and said, "Your implant has herniated and if left alone will eventually poke through the skin. In addition it seems as if the pocket wasn't secured properly and it has slipped leaving you a deformity." While not completely surprised, it was still somewhat shocking to hear. I had my annual ob/gyn appt. and showed my breast to that doctor, also. All I initially said was that I was not happy with the reconstruction. He took 1 look at me and said, "Well no wonder. The implant has herniated." Unbelievable. Same response from my friend/neighbor who is a nurse. This sure doesn't say much for the surgeon who did the exchange surgery, does it? Now I am faced with having another surgery to fix the pocket, repair/replace the capsule, and replace the implant. Wonderful. The new surgeon prefers round, smooth, cohesive gel implants. I currently have an anatomical, textured, saline implant. What to do? Back to the internet for research. How to decide if surgeon #2 (who is female) is truly qualified/the right one.

So what do all of you think about this situation? All input will be much appreciated. Thanks.

IRENE

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I had lumpectomy so not
    I had lumpectomy so not experience just wanted to say sorry you are going through this..Happy you go 2nd opinion...

Denise
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Implants
    Hi Irene, had two implants for bilateral. Not equal but close enough for me. However, on each side I have a very obvious pointy lump sticking out which in one case is definelty the implant the other I think it is where several scars meet. Also, one side feels like a foreign object moving about but the other feels part of me and comfortable. One put in one month and one put in the following month, so not together. I'm wondering if I should get them to look but after many previous appointments no one has commented on these which I find very surprising, but then I didn't bring it up either. What do you think............
  • jessiesmom1
    Options

Implants
    Hi Irene, had two implants for bilateral. Not equal but close enough for me. However, on each side I have a very obvious pointy lump sticking out which in one case is definelty the implant the other I think it is where several scars meet. Also, one side feels like a foreign object moving about but the other feels part of me and comfortable. One put in one month and one put in the following month, so not together. I'm wondering if I should get them to look but after many previous appointments no one has commented on these which I find very surprising, but then I didn't bring it up either. What do you think............

Hi Roz
    In my case the reconstructed breast does not have the classic teardrop breast shape but is instead a generally shaped bulge without a defined inframammary fold. In addition, there is an area about 3 inches long that is very hard. I am told that is where the implant has herniated and folded over onto itself. I knew something was not right and it turns out I was right. It sounds like you are in the same position. You sense that something is not right, also. If you are wondering if you should have the implants looked at, then you probably should do just that. I would start out with the surgeon who did your reconstruction. If you are not satisfied with what that doctor has to say (which I wasn't) then it is time to get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. Good luck. It just doesn't seem fair, does it?

IRENE
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Hi Roz
    In my case the reconstructed breast does not have the classic teardrop breast shape but is instead a generally shaped bulge without a defined inframammary fold. In addition, there is an area about 3 inches long that is very hard. I am told that is where the implant has herniated and folded over onto itself. I knew something was not right and it turns out I was right. It sounds like you are in the same position. You sense that something is not right, also. If you are wondering if you should have the implants looked at, then you probably should do just that. I would start out with the surgeon who did your reconstruction. If you are not satisfied with what that doctor has to say (which I wasn't) then it is time to get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. Good luck. It just doesn't seem fair, does it?

IRENE

WOW, Irene .. so sorry to hear .. Ugh!
    I had a bilateral with tissue expanders, then onto Saline. I am truly satisfied with my look - however, I went to 1 of the premier PS in Southern California --. I researched and opted for several opinions before selecting Doctor Turpin.

Do what you have to .. to get looking fantastic. Your current PS, sounds a little like a used car salesman. Sorry.

Good luck ..

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Hi Roz

IRENE

Double post .. sorry
    throw your current PS to the curbside.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

WOW, Irene .. so sorry to hear .. Ugh!
    I had a bilateral with tissue expanders, then onto Saline. I am truly satisfied with my look - however, I went to 1 of the premier PS in Southern California --. I researched and opted for several opinions before selecting Doctor Turpin.

Do what you have to .. to get looking fantastic. Your current PS, sounds a little like a used car salesman. Sorry.

Good luck ..

Vicki Sam

Exactly Wow Irene! I never
    Exactly Wow Irene! I never had this happen as I had a lumpectomy, but, I am certainly wishing you the best of luck.

Please keep us posted as to what you have done and if you are happy with it.

Sue :)
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Double post .. sorry
    throw your current PS to the curbside.

agree with VickiSam!
    jessiesmom - I'm sorry you're having to go through this! :( I sent you a private message. Know that there are GOOD plastic surgeons out there and you don't have to settle for what you have now.

[[[[hugs]]]]
  • jessiesmom1
    Options
    Thanks for the Support
    Hello Fellow Pinks,

I went to visit plastic surgeon #3 today. She is affiliated with Stanford University Hospital. It was her opinion that the implant is NOT herniated. She said she thinks it is "necrotic tissue or blood." She said that on the whole I have a "reasonable result." She said it could be tweaked to have a better shape and she would recommend a round, smooth implant. Or I could do nothing at all. Of course, I have a textured, anatomical implant. Slight recommendation of silicone over saline but not real strong - my decision entirely. Not sure just what to do anymore. I feel like if I went to 5 doctors I would get 5 opinions. I can tell you that I will not be going back to surgeon #1 (the only male surgeon). All your support is appreciated. This is just depressing. I don't expect perfection or perfect symmetry but I would like a more natural breast shape. Sorry for the whining. This is just dominating my thoughts right now.

IRENE
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Thanks for the Support
    Hello Fellow Pinks,

I went to visit plastic surgeon #3 today. She is affiliated with Stanford University Hospital. It was her opinion that the implant is NOT herniated. She said she thinks it is "necrotic tissue or blood." She said that on the whole I have a "reasonable result." She said it could be tweaked to have a better shape and she would recommend a round, smooth implant. Or I could do nothing at all. Of course, I have a textured, anatomical implant. Slight recommendation of silicone over saline but not real strong - my decision entirely. Not sure just what to do anymore. I feel like if I went to 5 doctors I would get 5 opinions. I can tell you that I will not be going back to surgeon #1 (the only male surgeon). All your support is appreciated. This is just depressing. I don't expect perfection or perfect symmetry but I would like a more natural breast shape. Sorry for the whining. This is just dominating my thoughts right now.

IRENE

No apology for posting how
    No apology for posting how you feel and what you are going thru. We would all feel the same way. Glad you are not going back to surgeon number 1! Praying that this surgeon three can help you.

Good luck,

Leeza