Has anyone had their oncologist offer fewer chemo treatments?

Options
JenniferO
JenniferO Member Posts: 12
Has anyone had their doc offer fewer chemo treatments? I am scheduled for 4 and finished 3 (yay) but with bad side effects. Doctor said that I could only do 3 if I want - is this normal? I was borderline for chemo anyway - lump was only slightly invasive and no node infiltration, so the doc said there was a chance I didn't need chemo. I'm only 40 and have 1 year old at home so I said I wanted to be super aggressive, so did the chemo. Now I'm wondering if I should skip the last treatment. I don't know if this is common or not. any thoughts?

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Offered to stop but I didn't
    With Taxol I was completely and utterly EXHAUSTED. I existed either in bed or on the couch in front of the TV. When I saw Dr T. before the 10th infusion (had 12 of Taxol) - I talked to him about how bad it was and he told me that I could stop as it had done about 85% of what it could do. Was not about to stop until I had gotten all it could do - to me it was why did I bother to go through what I'd already been through If I didn't "stay the journey". If in the future, I got mets and had 'chickened out' how could I tell/face Hubby (of 34 yrs at the time), Son, and G-daughter that I had not done all I could to stay here with them. Another 3 infusions wasn't that bad considering that I'd already done 4 A/C 2 weeks apart and 9 weekly Taxol.

I'm a different DX than you though. I'm IBC and had 17 positive nodes (2+ years since DX). Only you can know what is 'right' for you. We are each unique in who we are, our lives and our DXs.

Thoughts and prayers.

Susan
  • JenniferO
    JenniferO Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Rague said:

Offered to stop but I didn't
    With Taxol I was completely and utterly EXHAUSTED. I existed either in bed or on the couch in front of the TV. When I saw Dr T. before the 10th infusion (had 12 of Taxol) - I talked to him about how bad it was and he told me that I could stop as it had done about 85% of what it could do. Was not about to stop until I had gotten all it could do - to me it was why did I bother to go through what I'd already been through If I didn't "stay the journey". If in the future, I got mets and had 'chickened out' how could I tell/face Hubby (of 34 yrs at the time), Son, and G-daughter that I had not done all I could to stay here with them. Another 3 infusions wasn't that bad considering that I'd already done 4 A/C 2 weeks apart and 9 weekly Taxol.

I'm a different DX than you though. I'm IBC and had 17 positive nodes (2+ years since DX). Only you can know what is 'right' for you. We are each unique in who we are, our lives and our DXs.

Thoughts and prayers.

Susan

I reallly needed that
    Thank you so much for your feedback - I really needed to hear from someone who has gone through it. My husband is a huge support but everyone is leaving the decision up to me which is so confusing. I don't know if I can live with not doing the last treatment if I ever got another diagnosis, but I don't know how to live through another treatment. It is so miserable and I feel like such a woos reading your story -- 12 treatments and I'm complaining about 4. Do you ever just want to say this is bull? I'm so sick of breast cancer I could scream, and I'm sick of feeling sick. I feel like I'll never get back to normal.

Thanks for the insight. My thoughts and prayers to you too. Good to know we are not alone.
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My onc
    said I could do 4-6 treatments of T/C. After the 4th, my feet started to swell and he asked me if I wanted to stop. I choose to continue so he changed me from taxotere to taxol along with the cytoxan and I did the last 2. I didn't want to short circuit my treatment--I am triple negative so other than 33 rads, there was no further treatment that I could be offered. I didn't enjoy any of the side effects, but I managed and now, 11 months later, my hair is back and I'm glad I did all the treatments.
    JoAnn
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    joannstar said:

My onc
    said I could do 4-6 treatments of T/C. After the 4th, my feet started to swell and he asked me if I wanted to stop. I choose to continue so he changed me from taxotere to taxol along with the cytoxan and I did the last 2. I didn't want to short circuit my treatment--I am triple negative so other than 33 rads, there was no further treatment that I could be offered. I didn't enjoy any of the side effects, but I managed and now, 11 months later, my hair is back and I'm glad I did all the treatments.
    JoAnn

I was given the choice
    to stop at 3 because of the side effects. My onc said she had no statistics on women who stopped at 3 treatments so she didn't know whether it would make a difference in my outcome. My other option was to have a reduced dose and extra steroids in an attempt to avoid side effects (in my case skin toxicity). She told me the reduced dose (20% reduction) would not change the efficacy of the chemo. I asked her if the skin toxicity would kill me. The answer was no. It didn't make me feel bad, it was just like a mild burn, so for me it was a no brainer - I did a reduced dose for my 4th infusion. Has that been suggested for you?

Even with the reduced dose and extra steroids, I still had the skin toxicity - and I also had fever, tachycardia and low BP, and anemia that last cycle. They said I was actually serioursly ill that last cycle, so maybe the option for skipping the last cycle was based on more than the skin thing. Maybe it was a sign of more to come??? Who knows? Not me. I'm still glad I did all 4 for the reasons stated by others. I was more scared not to than to do it.

Suzanne
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I was given the choice
    to stop at 3 because of the side effects. My onc said she had no statistics on women who stopped at 3 treatments so she didn't know whether it would make a difference in my outcome. My other option was to have a reduced dose and extra steroids in an attempt to avoid side effects (in my case skin toxicity). She told me the reduced dose (20% reduction) would not change the efficacy of the chemo. I asked her if the skin toxicity would kill me. The answer was no. It didn't make me feel bad, it was just like a mild burn, so for me it was a no brainer - I did a reduced dose for my 4th infusion. Has that been suggested for you?

Even with the reduced dose and extra steroids, I still had the skin toxicity - and I also had fever, tachycardia and low BP, and anemia that last cycle. They said I was actually serioursly ill that last cycle, so maybe the option for skipping the last cycle was based on more than the skin thing. Maybe it was a sign of more to come??? Who knows? Not me. I'm still glad I did all 4 for the reasons stated by others. I was more scared not to than to do it.

Suzanne

I was pretty miserable too,
    I was pretty miserable too, chemo was a nightmare for me. they reduced the dose of the last adriamycin and offered to let me opt out of the last taxol (12) because the neuropathy was so bad. I just did it and crawled across the finish line because I just needed to know I did all I could. I am glad I did, but that is me. If someone told me they needed to stop for whatever reason I would support that too. taxol in 12 doses can be considered less toxic as it is divided up that way.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    JenniferO said:

I reallly needed that
    Thank you so much for your feedback - I really needed to hear from someone who has gone through it. My husband is a huge support but everyone is leaving the decision up to me which is so confusing. I don't know if I can live with not doing the last treatment if I ever got another diagnosis, but I don't know how to live through another treatment. It is so miserable and I feel like such a woos reading your story -- 12 treatments and I'm complaining about 4. Do you ever just want to say this is bull? I'm so sick of breast cancer I could scream, and I'm sick of feeling sick. I feel like I'll never get back to normal.

Thanks for the insight. My thoughts and prayers to you too. Good to know we are not alone.

tough choice
    You are the one to decide. I do not know how bad is it for you,
    I think of you stop you will be always questioned youself. Every little pain will make you wonder.
    If you have severe reaction you should stop.
    I had 6 cycles
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    carkris said:

I was pretty miserable too, chemo was a nightmare for me. they reduced the dose of the last adriamycin and offered to let me opt out of the last taxol (12) because the neuropathy was so bad. I just did it and crawled across the finish line because I just needed to know I did all I could. I am glad I did, but that is me. If someone told me they needed to stop for whatever reason I would support that too. taxol in 12 doses can be considered less toxic as it is divided up that way.

MY oncologist initially told
    MY oncologist initially told me I would be getting 6 treatments of TAC. I had chemo first to shrink my tumor so I could have a skin sparring mastectomy. After 4 treatments my MRI showed my tumor reacted aggressively to my chemo and I was scheduled for surgery. Following my pathology reports it was then decided that my final two treatments weren't needed and I would continue on with radiation.

So yes, it happened to me too...

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    carkris said:

MY oncologist initially told
    Sorry for the double post, not sure why my computer is doing this as of lately,...
  • Corinna11
    Corinna11 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Hey Jennifer, Please look at
    Hey Jennifer, Please look at my previous discussion about my chemo fiascos. It sounds like you may be having some of my problems. Long story short...I stopped at 3 out of 4 of T/C.

Fatigue I could handle, but each successive chemo I was in the hospital longer and longer and the risks started to outweigh the benefits. I wanted to stop at 2 treatments but my boys said they wanted me to do another to decrease my risk of it coming back. How could I say no to my little guys??

It really was horrible. I started with 3 days in the hospital with neutropenic anemia from the 1st infusion and ended up increasing hospital stays to a week after my 3rd tx. I had of course the fatigue, hair loss, nausea, mouth sores and all the "normal stuff" but also, I couldnt keep my bp up and passed out, anemia, had really bad stomach cramps (think childbirth) and ear pains, bleeding behind my retina (still cant see well because of that), phlebitis and the list goes on.

In my heart I am happy that I stopped at 3. Doctors really have NO idea how many treatment are the best. They figure out a number and then start doing research on that dose. I asked my onc about doing 6 vs 4 treatments (before I had started). She said there is not enough research on that to tell. Huh?? Than why give it? Are they just trying to kill us faster or make more money?? And what about 1 treatment vs 4? Nope. No research on that either.

Either way, I think my body just had too severe reaction to take the last one. Perhaps they should have tried another cocktail I could have handled better. Will never know. I'm now in rad treatment. So far so good. I can handle the burns and itching. Seems like I'm always tired now! BUt chemo sent me into early menopause so I've got hot flashes too! Oh well, par for the course! HaHa!!

Do what you feel is right in your heart. We can all tell you what we did but you are the one that has to live with it. We will be here for you no matter what you decide!!

Cory :)
  • pzelonka
    pzelonka Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Hey Jennifer, Please look at
    Hey Jennifer, Please look at my previous discussion about my chemo fiascos. It sounds like you may be having some of my problems. Long story short...I stopped at 3 out of 4 of T/C.

Fatigue I could handle, but each successive chemo I was in the hospital longer and longer and the risks started to outweigh the benefits. I wanted to stop at 2 treatments but my boys said they wanted me to do another to decrease my risk of it coming back. How could I say no to my little guys??

It really was horrible. I started with 3 days in the hospital with neutropenic anemia from the 1st infusion and ended up increasing hospital stays to a week after my 3rd tx. I had of course the fatigue, hair loss, nausea, mouth sores and all the "normal stuff" but also, I couldnt keep my bp up and passed out, anemia, had really bad stomach cramps (think childbirth) and ear pains, bleeding behind my retina (still cant see well because of that), phlebitis and the list goes on.

In my heart I am happy that I stopped at 3. Doctors really have NO idea how many treatment are the best. They figure out a number and then start doing research on that dose. I asked my onc about doing 6 vs 4 treatments (before I had started). She said there is not enough research on that to tell. Huh?? Than why give it? Are they just trying to kill us faster or make more money?? And what about 1 treatment vs 4? Nope. No research on that either.

Either way, I think my body just had too severe reaction to take the last one. Perhaps they should have tried another cocktail I could have handled better. Will never know. I'm now in rad treatment. So far so good. I can handle the burns and itching. Seems like I'm always tired now! BUt chemo sent me into early menopause so I've got hot flashes too! Oh well, par for the course! HaHa!!

Do what you feel is right in your heart. We can all tell you what we did but you are the one that has to live with it. We will be here for you no matter what you decide!!

Cory :)

Stoping Chemo Treatments
    Jennifer: I was also given the option to stop Taxotare/Cytoxin after the second treatment. I was so sick during my chemo treatments. I too ended up in the hospital with low white blood count after the first treatment. I literally spent six weeks in bed. I could barely walk across the room.

The dosage was reduced for the third and fourth. I elected to continue the treatments. I told the onocologist I could endure the treatments if she meds which I think helped the dizziness.

My last session was June 1 and I am beginning to feel like myself again.

Only you can decide what is best for you and I know you will make the right decision.

Take care of yourself and I will be thinking about you.

Peggy
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    JenniferO said:

I reallly needed that

I am not an oncologist, so,
    I am not an oncologist, so, I don't know if skipping one treatment would hurt you or not. I guess if you think you can get thru it, you probably should.

Good luck and let us know how you are.

Hugs, Megan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

I was given the choice

Suzanne

I never had chemo, but, I
    I never had chemo, but, I have heard of some sisters that did decide to stop chemo before all of the recommended treatments were done.

Wishing you the best!