Widening the Mouth

Options
2»

Comments

• sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options

Thanks, Joe
    Thanks for the advise. I now see a physical therapist for my shoulder who is excellent. I'll ask him about exercises for the mouth. My oncologist told me it was going to cost $30,000 for the prothesis (partial) to be made for my mouth. I just hope my medical insurance covers all of this.

Thanks again,

Anne

I lied.
    Well, not really. I guess I have been stretching out more. I have been trying to stretch my mouth out more. I tried today, and crammed 10 in there, and then managed to cram an eleventh in. Hurt tho... Stretching exercises helped some, I guess.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

I lied.
    Well, not really. I guess I have been stretching out more. I have been trying to stretch my mouth out more. I tried today, and crammed 10 in there, and then managed to cram an eleventh in. Hurt tho... Stretching exercises helped some, I guess.

10:+}]
    OK Sweet now I can believe that 10 sticks is right around 30 to 35mm of opening and that is a good bit for someone who had radiation. But t is always good to see if you can get gust a little more.

Take care
    Hondo
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Hondo said:

OK Sweet now I can believe that 10 sticks is right around 30 to 35mm of opening and that is a good bit for someone who had radiation. But t is always good to see if you can get gust a little more.

Take care
    Hondo

I'll keep working on it...
    If I can't get it to get any wider, I at least hope to keep it from getting any worse. I know that my mouth didn't open as wide as others even before I had rads.
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Take care
    Hondo

agree
    Sweets I so agree with Hondo, 30-35 mm is outstanding. More is good, we always want more.

The wonderful food you make, now I understand how you can eat it. Slowly yes but at least eat it.

John
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

agree
    Sweets I so agree with Hondo, 30-35 mm is outstanding. More is good, we always want more.

The wonderful food you make, now I understand how you can eat it. Slowly yes but at least eat it.

John

John fisrpotpe
    Yeah, I've never measured it. I can almost get two of my fingers in side by side. I know they said that you should be able to get three to four, but I only just barely got three in before rads.

Eating is super slow, but that is because if the lack of saliva and the stricture. I don't bite into stuff 99% of the time, I use a knife and fork, and if course small bites. :)
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Options

Hey Joe
    Is there anything preventing you just starting over and submitting all this to medical? If not, go ahead and refile. I've had this come up before, and the medical paid because, well, it is medical when our mouths fall apart after radiation therapy. Medical paid well on my hyperbarics too. Thank god for that. I saw the original bill. It was over $33k.

hmmm
    I can certainly try,if the statute of limitations has not run out :). At the time of the procedure, I was in the same boat as Dawn (sweetblood). The med ins didn't consider dental work to be part of the program so I had to come out of pocket for the oral surgeon (even though I did have dental insurance...it just didn't cover oral surgery).

Thanks for the advice.

Take care,

Joe
  • keep_the_faith
    keep_the_faith Member Posts: 49
    Options

hmmm
    I can certainly try,if the statute of limitations has not run out :). At the time of the procedure, I was in the same boat as Dawn (sweetblood). The med ins didn't consider dental work to be part of the program so I had to come out of pocket for the oral surgeon (even though I did have dental insurance...it just didn't cover oral surgery).

Thanks for the advice.

Take care,

Joe

Soccerfreaks
    My reconstructive surgeon told me he'd go to bat for me by writing letters if the insurance doesn't cover me. I could do $5,000, but not the extimated $30,000.