Update: Has anyone used lead vests/shields etc for radiation?

Options
2»

Comments

• missingtexas
    missingtexas Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Started taking iodine for my
    Started taking iodine for my thyroid. Maybe that will help. Also have techs cover my lower half of body/abdomen area. Mom has ovarian ca. guess you can never be too careful..

Didn't use a shield. FYI,
    Didn't use a shield. FYI, finished radiation in January. You can barely see the lines. I don't think anybody would notice unless I pointed it out. I do have a scar from a burn though.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Yeah, welcome to the club!
    Yeah, welcome to the club! Now at least I will have evenly burned boobs! :)

I am hoping that you won't
    I am hoping that you won't burn Corinna. Keep your creams on and be very gentle with your skin. Good luck!

♥ Kristin ♥
  • Corinna11
    Corinna11 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Rague said:

Cabbage leaves?
    Never heard that before.

Yes! They are actually
    Yes! They are actually working well. Nice and cooked buy the time I take them off at nite! ;)
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Good. That makes me feel
    Good. That makes me feel better. Since I've only done 8 treatments I dont have any lines yet but I always feel better if I know what Im in for... ;)
    Ive been putting cabbage leaves on my chest after rads (another rad grad suggested this) and so far its working! Kinda creepy though after I take them off they are cooked and crispy around the edges... yuck!

I don't have tan lines or
    I don't have tan lines or anything that shows that I had rads. Even my rad tattoos are almost invisible. No one would see them if they didn't know exactly where to look.

Good luck with rads!
  • Corinna11
    Options
    Noel said:

I don't have tan lines or
    I don't have tan lines or anything that shows that I had rads. Even my rad tattoos are almost invisible. No one would see them if they didn't know exactly where to look.

Good luck with rads!

THanks Ladies!
    So far so

THanks Ladies!
    So far so good!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Started taking iodine for my
    Started taking iodine for my thyroid. Maybe that will help. Also have techs cover my lower half of body/abdomen area. Mom has ovarian ca. guess you can never be too careful..

How are you doing with rads
    How are you doing with rads Corinna? And, how many do you have left? I know how great it was to finally reach that halfway point to start counting down!

Jan
  • Corinna11
    Options

How are you doing with rads
    How are you doing with rads Corinna? And, how many do you have left? I know how great it was to finally reach that halfway point to start counting down!

Jan

Hey Jan, thanks for asking!
    Hey Jan, thanks for asking! I have about 12 left. I started really feeling it last week and now I'm pretty tired. Breasts are itchy at times and have started to burn but I am still liking it ALOT more than chemo!

The cabbage is helpful but wow is it expensive now! This is a long week with 6 treatments in a row because of Thanksgiving next week.

My husband is also having surgery on 2 broken bones in his leg next week. We are down to one car and I think the driving people around everywhere is tiring me out more than anything else!

Cory :D
  • bgail84
    bgail84 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Yes! They are actually
    Yes! They are actually working well. Nice and cooked buy the time I take them off at nite! ;)

Cabbage leave
    Can you please explain; I am new here and begin rads in two weeks. Thanks
  • Corinna11
    Options
    bgail84 said:

Cabbage leave
    Can you please explain; I am new here and begin rads in two weeks. Thanks

Sure bgail! :) I was given the
    Sure! :) I was given the advice by another breast cancer survivor who had rads to use cabbage leaves.

I take a head of organic cabbage and peel one large leaf (best if you cut out the crunchy vein part about a few inches up the leaf) to use on your breast. I had cancer in both breasts so I use 2. Then just place the inside part of the cabbage leaf like a bra over your breast right after your rads then leave it on till you go to bed. The leaves are usually 'cooked and crunchy' after I take them off. I put manuka honey and Keys healing spray on overnight and then just wash before rads the next day.

I have used this the whole time and have about 5 more treatments out of 33 to go. I have gotten tired but my chest didnt even start getting pink till I was 2/3 rds through! Now I am pink and sometimes gets itchy but never in pain. I am very fair skinned and have high dosage to both breasts so I am happy so far. Hope this helps!!

Cory :)
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Hey Jan, thanks for asking!
    Hey Jan, thanks for asking! I have about 12 left. I started really feeling it last week and now I'm pretty tired. Breasts are itchy at times and have started to burn but I am still liking it ALOT more than chemo!

The cabbage is helpful but wow is it expensive now! This is a long week with 6 treatments in a row because of Thanksgiving next week.

My husband is also having surgery on 2 broken bones in his leg next week. We are down to one car and I think the driving people around everywhere is tiring me out more than anything else!

Cory :D

Cory, rads will exhaust you,
    Cory, rads will exhaust you, so, I hope you are getting plenty of rest, even take naps if you can.

Wishing your husband good luck with his surgery and sending you strength and prayers to continue with rads. 12 more and you are done! Then, we can all celebrate with you!

Hugs, Angie
  • Corinna11
    Options
    Angie2U said:

Cory, rads will exhaust you,
    Cory, rads will exhaust you, so, I hope you are getting plenty of rest, even take naps if you can.

Wishing your husband good luck with his surgery and sending you strength and prayers to continue with rads. 12 more and you are done! Then, we can all celebrate with you!

Hugs, Angie

Thanks Angie!
    Thanks Angie! This last week the fatigue has really hit me but its sooo much better than chemo! I cant really rest much because alot is going on now. My poor husband ended up having a heart attack this Wednesday and is still in the hospital. He has to put off the leg surgery for at least 2 weeks after he gets out. I'm having a 'Calgon take me away moment' and just trying to hold it together without crying bloody murder! I'm upset and sad as well from some posts I've been having with another lady on this site and that is pushing me over the edge. I dont even feel like posting anymore... Oh well, things have been kind of sucky lately.

Thanks so much for the kind wishes! You guys are a bright spot in my day!

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Thanks Angie!
    Thanks Angie! This last week the fatigue has really hit me but its sooo much better than chemo! I cant really rest much because alot is going on now. My poor husband ended up having a heart attack this Wednesday and is still in the hospital. He has to put off the leg surgery for at least 2 weeks after he gets out. I'm having a 'Calgon take me away moment' and just trying to hold it together without crying bloody murder! I'm upset and sad as well from some posts I've been having with another lady on this site and that is pushing me over the edge. I dont even feel like posting anymore... Oh well, things have been kind of sucky lately.

Thanks so much for the kind wishes! You guys are a bright spot in my day!

You have so much on your
    You have so much on your plate Cory, and, I understand about the posting on here. But please, do not stop posting or coming on here. In my opinion, I thought it was not right for you to be attacked as you were, and, many feel that way. I wish that post would just disappear myself. Attacking other bc survivors makes no sense to me. We have already gone thru war with bc, and, there is no sense in what some said.

I will be praying for your husband and for you and hope that I will see to continue to come to this board and post.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Corinna11
    Options
    jnl said:

You have so much on your
    You have so much on your plate Cory, and, I understand about the posting on here. But please, do not stop posting or coming on here. In my opinion, I thought it was not right for you to be attacked as you were, and, many feel that way. I wish that post would just disappear myself. Attacking other bc survivors makes no sense to me. We have already gone thru war with bc, and, there is no sense in what some said.

I will be praying for your husband and for you and hope that I will see to continue to come to this board and post.

Hugs, Leeza

Thank you so much Leeza! I
    Thank you so much Leeza! I was afraid to even look at posts to this question because I just cant deal with any more negative comments. Im so fri342ing tired of cancer and bills and money and drs and side-effects and hospitals etc... When I saw your post I was so happy at your kind words and felt like crying.

I regret that I lost my cool and was so blunt with my response to the other poster. I was really hurt that anyone thought I wanted to do anything but offer any help I could, just like I have been helped so much by everyone here.

Other ladies have posted since I made my last comment but I havent even looked because I get a stomach ache just thinking what my other sisters could have said about me. As I sit here typing I'm stuffing my face with fried chicken, Hawaiian bread and chocolate bars. I had planned on juicing but I dont feel like it. I think I'll just go to bed.

Thanks again for your prayers and kind words and thanks to all the other ladies that have posted as well!!