What is classed as an early thyroid cancer find?

I received quite a few head x rays at the age of 12 and at the age of 15-17 I had lumps in my neck, after a biopsy at 25 years old I found out it was papillary with mixed follicular. People say as long as its caught early prognosis is very good, I had mine for at least 10 years unknowingly and still show uptake now. What is classed as an early diagnosis?

Comments

• Farzana25
    Farzana25 Member Posts: 24
    Hi there,
    i am papillary

Hi there,

i am papillary carcinoma survivor. the stages differ in many cases. you can check the below link and match your condition.

but in general Tumor size less than 2cm is stage one.... over 2 cm to 4 cm is 2nd stage. but it also varies. like some times even if the tumor size is small but cancer may have spread to lymp nodes then its not stage one.... here is a link.

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ThyroidCancer/DetailedGuide/thyroid-cancer-staging

you can check your self. dont worry dear. i know how does it feel. be strong.i was diagnosed at the age of 29. as long as you can be mentally strong trust me you can over come it. telling from personal exp :)

take care
    Farzana
  • Samanthab
    Samanthab Member Posts: 2
    Farzana25 said:

Hi there,
    i am papillary

Hi there,

i am papillary carcinoma survivor. the stages differ in many cases. you can check the below link and match your condition.

but in general Tumor size less than 2cm is stage one.... over 2 cm to 4 cm is 2nd stage. but it also varies. like some times even if the tumor size is small but cancer may have spread to lymp nodes then its not stage one.... here is a link.

you can check your self. dont worry dear. i know how does it feel. be strong.i was diagnosed at the age of 29. as long as you can be mentally strong trust me you can over come it. telling from personal exp :)

take care
    Farzana

Hi Farzana,
    Thank you for

Hi Farzana,

Thank you for your reply, I had 2 tumors in my actual thyroid gland and had 26 lymph glands removed, one of them being 3.5cms, I know I had this for at least 8 years before my diagnosis but I just cant find anything to say how long before its diagnosed is classed as an early diagnosis. Surely 8 years isn't early even though it has a high cure rate and slow growing? I have 3 children, 10, 8 and 10 months, so being strong isn't an option it's a must lol. Thank you for your link and taking the time to contact me back.

I hope you are well

Thank you

Samantha
  • sunnyaz
    sunnyaz Member Posts: 582
    Samanthab said:

Hi Farzana,
    Thank you for

Hi Farzana,

Thank you for your reply, I had 2 tumors in my actual thyroid gland and had 26 lymph glands removed, one of them being 3.5cms, I know I had this for at least 8 years before my diagnosis but I just cant find anything to say how long before its diagnosed is classed as an early diagnosis. Surely 8 years isn't early even though it has a high cure rate and slow growing? I have 3 children, 10, 8 and 10 months, so being strong isn't an option it's a must lol. Thank you for your link and taking the time to contact me back.

I hope you are well

Thank you

Samantha

Hi Samantha,
    Check out the

Hi Samantha,

Check out the web site below if you haven't already. It is very helpful in explaining the staging of thyroid cancer. Age does play a role in your staging. Strange but true. It's good that you are young.

I hope this helps.

Blessings,
    Julie-SunnyAZ
  • Farzana25
    Farzana25 Member Posts: 24
    Samanthab said:

Hi Farzana,
    Thank you for

Hi Farzana,

I hope you are well

Thank you

Samantha

U r welcome. :)
    Hi Samantha,

wow... u have to strong for ur kids. we r lucky that this cancer is one of the most slow growing. i my tumor size was 3.75cm. pretty big. but fortunately it was confined in the thyroid only. its been almost a year now since i had it removed. so far doing fine. but i get nervous before every checkup... what if it is back? but thats life. have to live this way. keep us posted. and its always a pleasure to share our exp and knowledge with others regarding this. coz only we know how does it feel to live with cancer.

Take care
    Farzana