what do i say at my first Cancer speech??

ramirez1
ramirez1 Member Posts: 5
Hi Friends,
My name is Yvonne I am a one year cancer survivor, My daughter has put together a "Pink Out" fashion show here in Pittsburgh, she has asked me to speak, I am a one year survivor and right now I don't know what to say because really?.. I feel depressed and lonely i wonder everyday if I will get Cancer back, I am suppose to share my experience and make it inspirational and light hearted.. can any of you help me put together something or help me with what to say?? Thank you...:)

Comments

• Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Good Luck with your Speaking Engagement
    I am sure you will do a fine job speaking at the Pink Out event. I know one phrase I heard a fellow Survivor say about his experience was, "Cancer doesn't define who I am." I thought that was so powerful and oh so true. That resonated with me because I always felt the same way.

The other thing I learned about myself was that I was Stronger than I thought I was and that I am bulging with muscles you can't see. These aren't the kind you can buy, you have to earn them.

Best of luck! Tell us how it went.
    Ines
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Good Luck with your Speaking Engagement
    I am sure you will do a fine job speaking at the Pink Out event. I know one phrase I heard a fellow Survivor say about his experience was, "Cancer doesn't define who I am." I thought that was so powerful and oh so true. That resonated with me because I always felt the same way.

The other thing I learned about myself was that I was Stronger than I thought I was and that I am bulging with muscles you can't see. These aren't the kind you can buy, you have to earn them.

Best of luck! Tell us how it went.
    Ines

speak from your heart
    about your journey. Honestly how did you make it happen going through, help and inspiration you got from others, remarkable survivors and medical professionals you have met, comic and funny situations related to your treatment- your personal story I am sure it is unique and powerful.
    Good luck
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    speech
    Your daughter is proud of you or she would not have asked that you be a part of this. Yes of course you are still scared and depressed. However, there are so many out there that think hearing the words "You have cancer" is a death sentence. Of course it is not. So despite your feelings of fear and depression just tell them what you did to get as far as you have so far. Tell them about you hopes for the future. I am a 8 month survivor and I am making plans for not only next year but several years down the road. I am sure you will do well.
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Was just at a similar type of event
    The speaker there made the comment that we are part of a club we never planned or wanted to join and this club is not picky about who it takes as members; old, young, married, single, big, small, etc. My daughter was there and said that made the biggest impression on her.
    Maybe something along those lines?

I am sure you will do great!!

Jennifer
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    perhaps...mention how many
    perhaps...mention how many friends, family members etc have been there for your...and if you had great Drs and staff at treatment center...focus on the good things...

I would be terrible speaking...just not in me....good for you...!

Denise
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member

perhaps...mention how many
    perhaps...mention how many friends, family members etc have been there for your...and if you had great Drs and staff at treatment center...focus on the good things...

I would be terrible speaking...just not in me....good for you...!

Denise

I just spoke...
    at a breast cancer event at a hotel in Boston. It was also at my daughters request, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. I have never liked public speaking. I have to tell you though that I was amazed at how easy it was because I didn't have to memorize a speech. I did take note cards just in case I got that" deer in the headlights" look but I didn't need them.

I just spoke from the heart and told a few stories about my journey. I told a funny story about my MRI experience and brought an 8x10 photo of me when I was bald. The audience loved that visual because I now have lots of hair and I gave them hope because I'm 2 years out now.

I think you will be fine and you'll be surprised how at ease you will feel because the audience is rooting for you.

Good luck!
    Wanda
  • Bella Luna

I just spoke...
    at a breast cancer event at a hotel in Boston. It was also at my daughters request, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. I have never liked public speaking. I have to tell you though that I was amazed at how easy it was because I didn't have to memorize a speech. I did take note cards just in case I got that" deer in the headlights" look but I didn't need them.

I just spoke from the heart and told a few stories about my journey. I told a funny story about my MRI experience and brought an 8x10 photo of me when I was bald. The audience loved that visual because I now have lots of hair and I gave them hope because I'm 2 years out now.

I think you will be fine and you'll be surprised how at ease you will feel because the audience is rooting for you.

Good luck!
    Wanda

Wanda... how wonderful to
    Wanda... how wonderful to hear you spoke at a breast cancer event. I wish I could have heard you speak. I am sure you were inspirational to all who heard. Hooray for YOU!
    Ines
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member

Wanda... how wonderful to
    Wanda... how wonderful to hear you spoke at a breast cancer event. I wish I could have heard you speak. I am sure you were inspirational to all who heard. Hooray for YOU!
    Ines

AWW, thanks Ines!
    It felt so good to have people coming up to me that said I actually helped them. One young girl cried and said her Dad has colon cancer and when I spoke about taking one step at a time and not looking at the big picture because it's too overwhelming, she said "That's exactly what we do!"
    Who knew doing something I was so afraid of would feel so good!
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • ramirez1

I just spoke...

Good luck!
    Wanda

i did it!!
    I spoke and it was the most theraputic 18 min. ever. I hope to speak again. so very glad my daughter asked me to do it. i too had note cards but set them aside because i just didnt need them . wow what a great feeling. thank you for your kind words and support.

together in pink!!

Yvonne
  • Bella Luna
    ramirez1 said:

i did it!!
    I spoke and it was the most theraputic 18 min. ever. I hope to speak again. so very glad my daughter asked me to do it. i too had note cards but set them aside because i just didnt need them . wow what a great feeling. thank you for your kind words and support.

together in pink!!

Yvonne

How fantastic for you!
    How fantastic for you! So... what did you say? Give us a bit of what you had to share with the audience. Congratulations to you!
    Ines
  • ramirez1

How fantastic for you!
    How fantastic for you! So... what did you say? Give us a bit of what you had to share with the audience. Congratulations to you!
    Ines

my speech
    I had made note cards the night before just to remind me or keep me on track.but I did'nt use them I got up there and spoke from my heart, the crowd was alot of young adults(mostly female) they were my daughters age,so I told them how it felt to have my kids go through it and how important it was for them to take care of themselves and early detection and funny stories about my hair loss. i kept it uplifting..if you would like you can friend me on facebook and see the video. i don't know how to get it on this disscussion board.just type in Yvonne Ramirez Trenski.. thank you for keeping in touch

Yvonne