Check this out

Options
kikz
kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
I got an email to participate in whatnext.com which is sponsored by ACS. It is a site where you detail your journey with cancer. After I had completed all the sections I received an email on 9/12 telling me I would be featured on the site within the next few weeks. They said they would also mention it on Facebook and Twitter. I assumed I would get an email giving me a date. I went onto the website because they email you questions to answer or suggest people with similar journeys to connect with. To my surprise there was my picture. My story alternates with several others. I don't know when it started or when it will end but I emailed friends and family so they could see it. I said it is a hell of a thing to get recognized for but as they say there is no such thing as bad publicity. ha ha

Karen

Comments

• carolyn45
    carolyn45 Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Wonderful story
    Yes, it's a heck of a thing to be recognized for, but it's a super way to publicize ovarian cancer. Obviously your story is one that "grips" people--not just the story but the way you've handled all that has occurred. It's clear that you are LIVING with a Stage 4 diagnosis, and that's an inspiration. Bask in the limelight. You deserve it.
  • EnglishGal
    EnglishGal Member Posts: 101
    Options
    I checked it out
    This sounds intriguing and I checked the website out. I saw your picture,Karen! I will check often to see your story. ITA it is a hell of a thing to be recognized for but it's also another way to get our respective messages out.

Ann
  • EnglishGal
    Options
    I did some more checking around that site
    Hi Karen! I not only found your picture but I found a blog of yours in which you talk about being a writer. Well, I am a writer too! Friends and family think I have a real gift and I can tell from the way you express yourself that you do too.

I have been writing since I was a child of ten, (I am 66 now). My latest project is a book about a Canadian rebel/activist named Louis Riel who was hanged for high treason in 1885. He was a most controversial figure and Canadians to this day cannot agree whether he was actually a traitor or hero. I do not intend to submit for publication but will hand it out to friends and relatives. I have had a couple of things published, two articles about 9/11 in our church newsletter and an article about camping on an island in a nature magazine.

I have also bookmarked your blog, Life at Catnip Cottage. I agree with you that writing is fun and satisfying.

Ann
  • kikz
    Options

I did some more checking around that site
    Hi Karen! I not only found your picture but I found a blog of yours in which you talk about being a writer. Well, I am a writer too! Friends and family think I have a real gift and I can tell from the way you express yourself that you do too.

I have been writing since I was a child of ten, (I am 66 now). My latest project is a book about a Canadian rebel/activist named Louis Riel who was hanged for high treason in 1885. He was a most controversial figure and Canadians to this day cannot agree whether he was actually a traitor or hero. I do not intend to submit for publication but will hand it out to friends and relatives. I have had a couple of things published, two articles about 9/11 in our church newsletter and an article about camping on an island in a nature magazine.

I have also bookmarked your blog, Life at Catnip Cottage. I agree with you that writing is fun and satisfying.

Ann

Thank you Ann
    I admire the fact that you are writing a book. You should try to publish. I always have people telling me I should write a book. I tell them I don't think I have a book in me. I like to write what I guess is called memoir in the form of essays. I joke that my life in the last five years could be a tv movie. I am not just talking about the cancer. I experienced a lot of personal heartache over a one-year period. It is a story with a lot of twists and turns. I have journaled about it but I may write it out one day. It has elements of "stranger than fiction."

Karen
  • EnglishGal
    Options
    Nice to hear back from you!
    I was pleased to read your response to my posting, Karen. I always enjoy meeting a fellow writer and it is good that we have these interests. It helps us realize that there is a lot more to our lives than this monster named cancer; we have other things to focus on.
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    So cool!
    Hi Karen, I just went over and red your entry's! I love your writing and I also love your haircut! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Kathleen
  • kikz
    Options
    kayandok said:

So cool!
    Hi Karen, I just went over and red your entry's! I love your writing and I also love your haircut! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Kathleen

Thanks
    That photo was taken 2/19/2010 at my friends wedding. It was a week before I went to my doctor to discuss the minor symptoms I was experiencing. Of course the rest is history. I have been trying to update my picture but haven't taken one I like. I no longer wear the spikes but I still have a short "do."

Karen
  • kikz
    Options
    kayandok said:

So cool!
    Hugs,
    Kathleen

Sorry
    Repeat
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options
    kikz said:

Sorry
    Repeat

I just went to the site and
    I just went to the site and I see you! That is soo good. I didn't even know it existed. I am signing up. you are mysecondchance :-)