big toenails

kathryn54
kathryn54 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
A TEN YEAR SURVIVOR! Alas, in all these ten years I have had trouble with getting my big toenails to "take". The first time I lost one was during a dancing accident, while on Taxol. Someone pointed out to me that I was bleeding all over the dance floor! Ha! I didn't even feel it! I still don't have much feeling in my big toes. Both my big toenails grow out but, never adhere to the nail bed. I have cut them back to the quick many times (because they get "yucky" underneath). About a month ago I was turning over a heavy folding table and (like a dummy I was wearing sandals) caught my right big toenail and pushed it vertical. Eeeww! Yeah, but, I didn't feel it. I took pictures and cut it off. I'm a retired nurse so it wasn't too bad. It, to date, is showing no signs of growing back. So, the question is (after grossing you out) Anyone out there know about this and any remedies? I'll try anything at this point. Living in California, going to the beach, bare feet... can't be embarrassed by my toes (of all things).
Thanks!!!!

Comments

• sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    wow
    I am still thrilled to read the 10 year survivor part~woohoo on that, to hell with the toenails girl...go celebrate that little deed..well done, you can bring your toenail less toes to my beach anytime~hope you find an answer, sorry I could not help with that one. Sinee
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    No answer for you
    Other than I had to have 1 big toenail permanently removed due to damage. I just polish the skin where the nail should be and keep a bottle of nailpolish handy when I know I will be in the pool or hottub because the polish usually floats off.

Doesn't look gross, just another complication

Jennifer