DOCTORS VISIT ??????

Options
I had a checkup with my ENT Doctor yesterday and he told me that I might as well expect to live with day mouth no saliva,mucous trouble swallowing and acid reflux from now on. He said the Evoxac and Salagen helps very few people it is to treat dry mount syndrome not radiation treatment. Also on my insurance I am in the gap period so I have to pay ½ of the price of Med’s. I take Nexium it’s very expensive Has anyone got and encouraging tips for me it's been 10 mounts

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Robert
    With me it took over a year and a half before I got any of my saliva back working, I now have about 60% percent of it back, that is also the reason I use a dry mouth spray at night. On the mucous I still have some problems with that but it is nothing like when I first came out of treatment. You do learn to get use to it after a while and live around the side effects. Sorry but that is the truth about how I am doing but also remember I had radiation treatment twice to the head & neck so you might do a lot better than I did after a year or two.

Hondo
  • Hal61
    Hal61 Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Don't listen to doctors
    Hi Rob, I'm with Hondo. I was over a year post treatment when my saliva started to come back. It came back quick, in two to three weeks. Not 100%, but lot's better than none.
    Docs don't have the answer on this one. I took salagen during chemo and rads--couldn't take amifostene--and it never did anything for me. I'd stopped taking it for some time when my saliva came back. Don't give up hope, because it comes back later for a lot of us.

best, Hal
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Hey Robert
    None of that is necessarily true. Everyone is different. In my case saliva continued to improve for a number of years post treatment. Eventually I didin't have to carry water and stopped waking at night all the time.

I got daily reflux beginning with my radical neck dissection. Nexium worked fine, but so did over the counter famotidine 20mg daily in my case. I experimented with all kinds of things on the reflux thing, and finally settled on this OTC prep as being good enough. 13 years later, I stilll take the famotidine, but so long as I do I have no problems. And this med is cheap.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    DITTO
    Like mentioned, that's a pretty narrow minded statement from your MD...especially for someone that hasn't gone through what you have.

Like mentioned, everyone is different....

I have regained 90 - 95% of both my saliva and taste after 2 1/2 years.

Initially, I had no taste, no saliva...carrying water with me at all times. Every bite of food, a sip of water, every sentence, a sip of water.

Now I am as I was post treatment, I drink when thirsty.

Best,
    John
  • buzz99
    buzz99 Member Posts: 404
    Options
    Acid Reflux
    There is no telling if some salivary function will come back. Buzz still has some mucus but not as bad as during the radiation. For dry mouth, we have discovered Biotene dry mouth spray. It really works well and lasts. We have found it at Walmart. Buzz also takes Prilosec for the acid reflux. It is available over the counter so should be a lot cheaper. Karen
  • docholmes52
    docholmes52 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    dry mouth/gerd and peppermint
    Hello Robert, take a lokk at this info, it may be helpful;
    The medicinal use of peppermint dates back as far as Greek and Roman times, and is still used to day to treat respiratory disorders, headaches and more. One of the most common medicinal uses of peppermint oil is to treat gastrointestinal disorders and indigestion.

Difficulty:Moderately EasyInstructions

Purchase peppermint essential oil, tinctures or capsules for the full medicinal benefits. While peppermint oil is commonly used as flavoring for candies, only essential oils are guaranteed for their healing effects. Peppermint essential oil works on indigestion by soothing the stomach muscles and improving the flow of bile, helping foods to pass through the stomach more quickly and easily.

Drink a cup of peppermint tea after a heavy meal which causes indigestion, to reap the benefits of the oil from the leaves. Pour boiling water over a peppermint tea bag, cover and allow to steep for 5 minutes. If making tea from dried leaves, use 2 tsp. for every cup of water. Sweeten if desired and sip while hot.

Treat indigestion caused by irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules. Take one or two capsules three times daily within 1 hour after eating.

Use peppermint tincture, a stronger alternative to tea for easing indigestion. Because each tincture is made differently, you should read the manufacturer's instruction for use; however, as a general rule, add 5 to 10 drops to one cup of warm water and drink after meals.

Did You Know?www.IBS-Cinformation.com
    How much do you know about IBS with constipation? Find out here.
    Colon Cancer TreatmentsCancerCenter.com/CareThatNeverQuits
    Learn about leading-edge treatments for Colon Cancer diagnosis today.
    Anti-Acid Reflux Foodswww.health.com
    We List 13 Foods That Help Fight Acid Reflux. Save Your Stomach Now!
    Stop Acid Reflux In 1 Minwww.StopsAcidReflux.com
    Proven old Amish remedy ends acid reflux, heartburn, in about 1 min.

Read more: How to Use Peppermint Oil for Indigestion | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2295291_use-peppermint-oil-indigestion.html#ixzz1be2eArPA

How to Use Peppermint Oil for Indigestion | eHow.com
    How to Use Peppermint Oil for Indigestion. The medicinal use of peppermint ... People have been using peppermint oil for hundreds of years to help relieve pain, cure ...
    www.ehow.com/how_2295291_use-peppermint-​oil-indigestion.html - Cached
    More results from ehow.com »
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options

dry mouth/gerd and peppermint
    Hello Robert, take a lokk at this info, it may be helpful;
    The medicinal use of peppermint dates back as far as Greek and Roman times, and is still used to day to treat respiratory disorders, headaches and more. One of the most common medicinal uses of peppermint oil is to treat gastrointestinal disorders and indigestion.

Difficulty:Moderately EasyInstructions

Purchase peppermint essential oil, tinctures or capsules for the full medicinal benefits. While peppermint oil is commonly used as flavoring for candies, only essential oils are guaranteed for their healing effects. Peppermint essential oil works on indigestion by soothing the stomach muscles and improving the flow of bile, helping foods to pass through the stomach more quickly and easily.

Drink a cup of peppermint tea after a heavy meal which causes indigestion, to reap the benefits of the oil from the leaves. Pour boiling water over a peppermint tea bag, cover and allow to steep for 5 minutes. If making tea from dried leaves, use 2 tsp. for every cup of water. Sweeten if desired and sip while hot.

Treat indigestion caused by irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules. Take one or two capsules three times daily within 1 hour after eating.

Use peppermint tincture, a stronger alternative to tea for easing indigestion. Because each tincture is made differently, you should read the manufacturer's instruction for use; however, as a general rule, add 5 to 10 drops to one cup of warm water and drink after meals.

Did You Know?www.IBS-Cinformation.com
    How much do you know about IBS with constipation? Find out here.
    Colon Cancer TreatmentsCancerCenter.com/CareThatNeverQuits
    Learn about leading-edge treatments for Colon Cancer diagnosis today.
    Anti-Acid Reflux Foodswww.health.com
    We List 13 Foods That Help Fight Acid Reflux. Save Your Stomach Now!
    Stop Acid Reflux In 1 Minwww.StopsAcidReflux.com
    Proven old Amish remedy ends acid reflux, heartburn, in about 1 min.

Read more: How to Use Peppermint Oil for Indigestion | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2295291_use-peppermint-oil-indigestion.html#ixzz1be2eArPA

How to Use Peppermint Oil for Indigestion | eHow.com
    How to Use Peppermint Oil for Indigestion. The medicinal use of peppermint ... People have been using peppermint oil for hundreds of years to help relieve pain, cure ...
    www.ehow.com/how_2295291_use-peppermint-​oil-indigestion.html - Cached
    More results from ehow.com »

peppermint, makes me sick,
    peppermint, makes me sick, with terrible upper gas pain and indigestion. wouldn't work for me.