Hard to eat

Options

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

Hi Hondo
    You got off cheap. It cost me $800. I went to the hospital by ambulance - what a rip off for a 5 minute ride. Never again, I'll drive myself. Okay, so you crush your pills. I have a pill crusher too but I don't think that the Vitamin E horsepills come in a crushable pill, only gels. I did find a bottle of liquid vitamins at Costco.

P.S. I also felt like a knuclehead when I tried to swallow that multivitamin horsepill. I knew it was too big.

First Class

I only went first class once to the hospital and the ride was so bad and ruff it almost killed me. Then the guy in the back with me was trying to get an IV started that is when all hell broke out. Finial I just said hold on how far are we from the hospital he say about 1 or 2 mins OK I said lets just wait but I die of you sticking me to death. He did not like that too much. He he he

Wishing you well
    ╠╣ONDO
  • keep_the_faith
    keep_the_faith Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Hondo said:

First Class

I only went first class once to the hospital and the ride was so bad and ruff it almost killed me. Then the guy in the back with me was trying to get an IV started that is when all hell broke out. Finial I just said hold on how far are we from the hospital he say about 1 or 2 mins OK I said lets just wait but I die of you sticking me to death. He did not like that too much. He he he

Wishing you well
    ╠╣ONDO

Hate Needles
    I just hate needles and pratically have an anxiety attack when it comes to IV's. I have floating veins. But, the last time I was at the hospital the pre-op nurse told me she was going to give me an IV like they do for children. They shot me with an air gun that had lidocaine. My arm numbed very fast, then the nurse did the IV. There was absolutely no pain. I asked her why they didn't do this treatment for adults and she told me that they only do this for children. Boy, the next time I go to the hospital I'm asking for this treatment again.

Anne
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    D Lewis said:

Same here!
    Still struggling somewhat, to eat normally, 18 months later. I had the surgery/radiation/chemo combination. I never got a stricture, but I have trouble swallowing. I discussed it again with my Stanford doc yesterday. The radiation apparently causes fibrosis of the throat muscles. They still work, only not so well, and the muscles don't all work together. A bite of food doesn't get hung up anywhere, but it can take three or four swallows before it gets all the way down. Water helps push it along. He says it will probably always be like this now.

Dry mouth - I have so many coping mechanisms now, as I need to do a lot of talking at work, and sometimes public speaking. I have a small bag of ALL the Biotene products in my purse - which is now a small backpack, to allow me to carry along all the water I will need. Spray, gel, rinse, gum, toothpaste, fluoride floss...

Deb

on public speaking
    My occupation required a lot of speaking. All day type commitment. When radiation burned my tongue and dried me out to where it was impossible to do this, my disability insurance, which I had paid handsomely to own, kicked in. After paying for a few months, the company decided unilaterally and against my ENT oncologist's written advice, that i was well and could work full time. Enter the lawyers. I had to sue them to get them to pay. Had none of this happened, I would have recoverd enough speech function within probably two years to be back at things full time.

When the smoke cleared, they settled with me out of court for a large sum. In effect, they bought the policies back from me. Nowadays I don't have disability insurance, but they paid more than I would have asked for if they'd just cooperated. A rather strange little footnote to the speech related disability created by radiation.
  • osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Anne

I thought I was the only one who had to go to the ER for a pill stuck in the throat. I knew it was too big when I looked at it but like a knucklehead I put it in and took a big swallow with a big glass of water and nothing happened. The water went down but the pill was stuck between my throat and nasal way and nothing I could do would move it. When I got to the ER and after paying my 300 dollars the doc looked at me and said oh it will dissolve in about 20 min and you will be OK. Now days I have a pill crusher it only cost 3.00 dollars. So I save me 297 dollars every time I use it.

Wishing you well
    ╠╣ONDO

Large Pills
    I take some larger pills with some apple sauce, they seem to go down better.

Linda
  • Hondo
    Options

on public speaking
    My occupation required a lot of speaking. All day type commitment. When radiation burned my tongue and dried me out to where it was impossible to do this, my disability insurance, which I had paid handsomely to own, kicked in. After paying for a few months, the company decided unilaterally and against my ENT oncologist's written advice, that i was well and could work full time. Enter the lawyers. I had to sue them to get them to pay. Had none of this happened, I would have recoverd enough speech function within probably two years to be back at things full time.

When the smoke cleared, they settled with me out of court for a large sum. In effect, they bought the policies back from me. Nowadays I don't have disability insurance, but they paid more than I would have asked for if they'd just cooperated. A rather strange little footnote to the speech related disability created by radiation.

Hi longterm

I have to do training for the maintenance system I use at work and sometimes that take a full 4 hours of speaking to complete. When I am finish my throat is so dry that it get sore sometimes so I started using my Stoppers 4 dry-mouth spray and found that it really help when having to speak all the time.

Wishing you well
    ╠╣ONDO
  • Hondo
    Options

Hate Needles
    I just hate needles and pratically have an anxiety attack when it comes to IV's. I have floating veins. But, the last time I was at the hospital the pre-op nurse told me she was going to give me an IV like they do for children. They shot me with an air gun that had lidocaine. My arm numbed very fast, then the nurse did the IV. There was absolutely no pain. I asked her why they didn't do this treatment for adults and she told me that they only do this for children. Boy, the next time I go to the hospital I'm asking for this treatment again.

Anne

Hi Anne

I am not a big fan of needles either so I close my eyes and try to make believe it is a really big mosquito. The worse that ever happened to me was one nurse stuck me 7 times and still did not hit the vane. Finally she got the doctor he took a look and got it on the first try. All I could do was to look at the nurse and say, well there was only one place left open so that is why he got it so easy. All she could so was keep saying I am so sorry; all I could say don’t worry its ok. Boy the next day my arm looked like it went through a real beating all black and blue.

Take care
    ╠╣ONDO
  • longtermsurvivor
    Options

Hate Needles

Anne

You have a right
    to ask for this help. And you have a right to request an expert start your IV's, as in "no students, IV needs started by anesthesia, etc." You know how hard it is to get these in you. The hospital help does not. Just tell them nicely but firmly.
  • longtermsurvivor
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi longterm

I have to do training for the maintenance system I use at work and sometimes that take a full 4 hours of speaking to complete. When I am finish my throat is so dry that it get sore sometimes so I started using my Stoppers 4 dry-mouth spray and found that it really help when having to speak all the time.

Wishing you well
    ╠╣ONDO

I finally got over this
    scalded tongue thing. but I expect to get it back in spades when I'm radiated again. I've already ordered the stoppers, even though I don't start radiation for a while. In my memory, these symptoms developed pretty quickly the first time. thanks.
  • keep_the_faith
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Anne

I am not a big fan of needles either so I close my eyes and try to make believe it is a really big mosquito. The worse that ever happened to me was one nurse stuck me 7 times and still did not hit the vane. Finally she got the doctor he took a look and got it on the first try. All I could do was to look at the nurse and say, well there was only one place left open so that is why he got it so easy. All she could so was keep saying I am so sorry; all I could say don’t worry its ok. Boy the next day my arm looked like it went through a real beating all black and blue.

Take care
    ╠╣ONDO

Hondo
    You have such a good positive attitude. You're the BEST!

Anne
  • keep_the_faith
    Options

You have a right
    to ask for this help. And you have a right to request an expert start your IV's, as in "no students, IV needs started by anesthesia, etc." You know how hard it is to get these in you. The hospital help does not. Just tell them nicely but firmly.

You're right
    The time before I went to the hospital last, I told the pre-op nurse that I wanted someone from the Infusion Dept. The anesthesiologist told me this and I told the nurse but her response was, "Don't you think I can do it?" Again, I told her I would like someone from the Infusion Dept. She told me she'd try but came back two minutes later and said there was no one in the dept. available. When I was in the hospital last September, the pre-admit nurse told me to call the Infusion Dept. directly to make these arrangements. With all the money this hospital has, they just did a major rennovation with marble siding inside, waterfalls, palm trees, you'd think they could accommodate me.

I'm just venting. There are very nice nurses and then there are ones that aren't so accommodating.
  • keep_the_faith
    Options
    osmotar said:

Large Pills
    I take some larger pills with some apple sauce, they seem to go down better.

Linda

Osmotar
    I'll try some smaller pills first.

Thanks!
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options

D Lewis
    Deb,

Toothpaste burns my tongue and mouth - can't use it. I use nothing but baking soda to brush my teeth and then it tastes salty. I drink milk, then a little water and then put a Tic Tac in my mouth for the dryness. The Tic Tac's really help the dryness.

I choked on a vitamin pill and had to go to the hospital. Fortunately, I was able to get it down as it was a gel tablet. I'm so afraid that I'm going to choke on food.

Anne

Anne
    I have to magic swizzle (numb) my mouth before I can brush my teeth because it burns.
  • Hondo
    Options

I finally got over this
    scalded tongue thing. but I expect to get it back in spades when I'm radiated again. I've already ordered the stoppers, even though I don't start radiation for a while. In my memory, these symptoms developed pretty quickly the first time. thanks.

2nd time around
    Just remember we will all be here for you when you start and do all we can to help you through.

Hondo
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I finally got over this

Keep in Mind
    The Stoppers4 will probably burn the first couple times till your mouth gets used to it. The burn will be minor. Also I do not know if the Stoppers4 works very well during treatments, all the history I have read and experienced has been good news post treatment when the mouth is very dry and the sores have healed. Maybe others can help with the thought of using durning treatment.

Good Luck

John
  • longtermsurvivor
    Options

You're right
    The time before I went to the hospital last, I told the pre-op nurse that I wanted someone from the Infusion Dept. The anesthesiologist told me this and I told the nurse but her response was, "Don't you think I can do it?" Again, I told her I would like someone from the Infusion Dept. She told me she'd try but came back two minutes later and said there was no one in the dept. available. When I was in the hospital last September, the pre-admit nurse told me to call the Infusion Dept. directly to make these arrangements. With all the money this hospital has, they just did a major rennovation with marble siding inside, waterfalls, palm trees, you'd think they could accommodate me.

I'm just venting. There are very nice nurses and then there are ones that aren't so accommodating.

you are right
    Sometimes we have found you simply have to choose your battles, then dig your heels in very firmly on an issue. I now have a power port, so this isn't a problem. But it was some time back. My most annoying intervention was in the PET scan unit, where without introduction or request for permission, they sent a brand new student to start my IV. My veins have been clobbered recently. I used to be an easy stick, but I'm certainly no easy stick for a rookie now. I decided to wait and see how things went with her, and the tech.

Three sticks later, very bad technique, no apology for hurting me, etc. we finally had the contrast medium in. I called and talked to the director the next day, giving my best "practicing on patients is not a right, it is a privilege" lecture. The point was made, and I suspect transmitted back to the people involved.

If they had caught me in a differentt mood, I'd have simply said "no" to begin with. Your rights are absolute. It just depends on how you see things maturing if you assert them.

Best
  • keep_the_faith
    Options

you are right
    Sometimes we have found you simply have to choose your battles, then dig your heels in very firmly on an issue. I now have a power port, so this isn't a problem. But it was some time back. My most annoying intervention was in the PET scan unit, where without introduction or request for permission, they sent a brand new student to start my IV. My veins have been clobbered recently. I used to be an easy stick, but I'm certainly no easy stick for a rookie now. I decided to wait and see how things went with her, and the tech.

Three sticks later, very bad technique, no apology for hurting me, etc. we finally had the contrast medium in. I called and talked to the director the next day, giving my best "practicing on patients is not a right, it is a privilege" lecture. The point was made, and I suspect transmitted back to the people involved.

If they had caught me in a differentt mood, I'd have simply said "no" to begin with. Your rights are absolute. It just depends on how you see things maturing if you assert them.

Best

longtermsurvivor
    What we have to go through. My power port is out now but when it was in the hospital would never use it nor the scan technicians.
  • keep_the_faith
    Options

Anne
    I have to magic swizzle (numb) my mouth before I can brush my teeth because it burns.

sweetblood22
    Interesting. I don't use the magic swizzle anymore. It's so expensive.
    But, for you, I guess you have to because you, I believe brush your teeth six times a day.
  • keep_the_faith
    Options

Osmotar
    I'll try some smaller pills first.

Thanks!

Osmotar
    Well, I took your advice. I was able to get a small Vit. B Complex pill down with applesauce without choking.

Things are looking up.
  • osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    Options

Osmotar
    Well, I took your advice. I was able to get a small Vit. B Complex pill down with applesauce without choking.

Things are looking up.

YEAH!!!
    Who would have thought that a little bit of applesauce would work...thanks to my onco nurse Pam for the hint.

Linda
  • Hondo
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

Keep in Mind
    The Stoppers4 will probably burn the first couple times till your mouth gets used to it. The burn will be minor. Also I do not know if the Stoppers4 works very well during treatments, all the history I have read and experienced has been good news post treatment when the mouth is very dry and the sores have healed. Maybe others can help with the thought of using durning treatment.

Good Luck

John

Hi John
    Very good point as I myself never used the Stoppers 4 during treatment; I was about two years out of treatment before I found out about the product by accident looking for something else.

╠╣ONDO