Yikes! Hubby has retired!

Options
sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
Any words of wisdom? I have a 'honey do' list a mile long and I know he is addicted to Dr Oz. He hands out medical advice left & right - cracks me up! He will probably meet the old geezers in town for coffee at the diner at least once a week. He wants to get a part-time job, which I think would be good, but not til Spring (so he can get my list done!)

He can't cook, but loves to rearrange the kitchen so I can never find what I'm looking for. If he does this one more time, I'm going to rearrange his garage. He tries to help but he can really screw up the laundry. However, he can vacuum - of course you can't tell him what the attachments are for, he uses what he wants.

He has worked the 3 to 11 shift for 21 years, I'm so afraid I'm going to have to share the remote! And watching QVC - or the guilty pleasure shows - with him is just not fun. "That is just plain stupid".

Should I make him find a hobby? Scapbooking? Stamp collecting? Become a telemarketer?

Help!

Sue

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    haha not there yet but i can
    haha not there yet but i can picture the same thing happening. if I go grocery shopping with my husband he rearranges how I place things in the cart. Hr drives me nuts. I enjoy my alone time too, like anything its an ajustment. (When my husband is home during the week he watches Maury... you are NOT the father!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Mine might be retiring in
    Mine might be retiring in April. When he does we plan on doing major traveling. Cross country stuff and see people we haven't seen in years. By the time we get back then we should have adjusted to his having free time. If he doesn't retire in April than it will probably not be for a few more years. You will have to give a little and he will. Marriage means compromise.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Mine might be retiring in
    Mine might be retiring in April. When he does we plan on doing major traveling. Cross country stuff and see people we haven't seen in years. By the time we get back then we should have adjusted to his having free time. If he doesn't retire in April than it will probably not be for a few more years. You will have to give a little and he will. Marriage means compromise.

Don't despair, Sue
    you'll get this worked out! My husband has a ways to go, but fortunately, he has hobbies that would last him till doomsday. I actually have to drag him out of the garage where he has a workshop set up to do woodworking, stained glass work, metal work, etc. The negative part of all this--he is an engineer so everything has to be PERFECT. Thus, it takes him a looooooong time to finish a project--but when he does, it's PERFECT!

If your hubby is willing, put him to work on those projects you might hate doing yourself--cleaning out closets, washing windows, cleaning baseboards!

The main thing is, enjoy each other!

Hugs, Renee
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

Don't despair, Sue
    you'll get this worked out! My husband has a ways to go, but fortunately, he has hobbies that would last him till doomsday. I actually have to drag him out of the garage where he has a workshop set up to do woodworking, stained glass work, metal work, etc. The negative part of all this--he is an engineer so everything has to be PERFECT. Thus, it takes him a looooooong time to finish a project--but when he does, it's PERFECT!

If your hubby is willing, put him to work on those projects you might hate doing yourself--cleaning out closets, washing windows, cleaning baseboards!

The main thing is, enjoy each other!

Hugs, Renee

My husband retires
    My husband retires in March.That is his plans.Maybe before.He has been going through tests with the Veterans Adminstration for some pension.We just don't know how much yet.They have a few more tests and it should be soon but still his goal is March.He already gets SS and I also get it but he wanted to retire from his day job at 70 as long as he was able.I will turn 65 in March.

I am like you.I have no idea what he is going to do.I know he watches alot of TV and lately been on the computer more than he has ever been.He's been looking for a new truck or a antique car.If we get a car we will be doing car shows.We have a couple rooms we want to put wood flooring.I Love what we have in our living room and hall. Fencing in the backyard so our neighbors quit trespassing.AND clean out the basement.I told him to go in the basement awhile back to clean it up.Well he piled everything on one side and almost to the ceiling.That was what he thought was cleaning. Retirement will be interesting.

I think it will be nice though.I've never in our 43 years of marriage, had him home for weekends.He's worked 7 days a week since we've been married.It was always the jobs he got.Many times 12 hours a day.Just recently he has been on 7 days but 8 hours. Vacations were a break and we both needed it. It's really been hard but I coped being alone so much with his job.

Lynn Smith
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Thank goodness we have 2
    Thank goodness we have 2 tv's. He watches, all that cable man stuff. I really dont mind having him around. I accept his help in the kitchen doing dishes and cleaning up and cross my fingers when I'm looking for a dish or pan. He does interrupt me in the morning when I like my quiet time by reading the newspaper to me, giving me sports scores, and talking about the pro golfers. I just simply say, would you please stop becuse I'm not interested, but he continues to read out loud. That is irritating but he does have a few hobbies and I so appreciate them because they keep him busy. We do have fun and laugh a lot. Best Wishes.:)
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Many years ago when my Dad
    Many years ago when my Dad "retired" he built a "shed" for woodworking projects, a hobby he started at retirement. He spent more money building the shed than he spent purchasing his house. But the shed has saved his marriage, it gives both him and my step-mom the alone time they both need. But even with the shed, there was still a period of adjustment for the two of them...hang in there. Soon one of you will have a "shed" of your own.

Hugs,

Linda