Tough Week

Options
Hey gang,

I'm not sure if it was because of my allergic reaction to Oxaliplatin last Friday, the ascites, or an impaction, but this last week really sucked. I was pretty miserable.

I hadn't been able to eat for a long time and it got to the point where I couldn't even keep water down. My belly was swollen up like a balloon. On Tuesday my sister came down from PA and we went to the ER at Penn after calling my onc. The ER was packed, but they got me in after about 3 hours. Luckily I had a room, the ER was so packed they had ten people getting treated in the hallways! The poor lady outside my door was there the whole time I was :-(

I stayed there that night and most of the next since the hospital had no rooms left. They poured liters of saline into me and gave me a paracentisis Wednesday. They drained 5 liters of fluid from my abdomen - nothing like losing 12 pounds in half an hour :-o In the middle of the night Thursday they moved me to the Onc floor. I saw some of the nurses and aides that were so kind to me when I spent January there.

I felt a ton better but still was uncomfortable when I got home Thursday. I had really bad constipation which I never do. When I could go, it was rock hard marbles. I did a couple of rounds of milk of magnesia and drank a ton of water. I ended up clearing wayyy in excess of what I should have based on the minimal food I had over the last few weeks. I think I was carrying that crap around for a long time.

Feeling much better now that I am hydrated and not all swollen up. I'm hoping this was just a glitch and not the beginning of "the slide"...

Strength and Love!

Ray

Comments

• westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    Tough Week
    Hi Ray: I hope you get better soon. Just a blip, not the long slide - you are doing too well! I just finished the 11th oxaliplatin + irenotecan + 5FU treatment. HOpe I only have one more. The oncologist says if I'm stable (no new growth of those pesky nodules on the peritoneum), then I can have a chemo break; if there is more shrinkage, then nope, more chemo as that is a good sign (but can I afford it?); if growth, well, don't know! We're still talking surgery to remove the peritoneum - I would rather just have the nodules removed so I can get this incisional hernia fixed (more of a pian than the cancer!).

Have you heard of anyone who had peritoneum nodules removed/treated with radiation?

I think I asked you what omentum caking was? I don't have that nor the ascites for some reason.

get well!

Cheryl
  • AussieMaddie
    AussieMaddie Member Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi Ray,
    as Cheryl has said,

Hi Ray,
    as Cheryl has said, I too trust that it was a glitch in the road. I'. *so* glad that you are feeling so much better now.
    Thinkin' of ya.
    Hugs,
    AussieMaddie