Second Opinion

Options
MsGebby
MsGebby Member Posts: 659
Hello to my sisters. It sucks to be here, but I am happy to have sisters who share a common bond with me. :)

Anyway, I am at a crossroads of sorts. I want a second opinion just to be sure about my treatment options. I did call Cancer Treatment Centers of America and actually have an appt for the 26th. They will be doing 3 days for consultations and evaluations. I've only seen the commercials on TV and spoken to a Patient Advocate at the one in Philly. SO I really don't know much about this facility or CTCA in general.

I researched a bit online and found so very negative views about this place yet I get a good feeling when I speak with the advocate. I don't know what to do.

My oncologist is caring and knowledgeable enough, but I really feel it is better for me to have more than 1 opinion.

Have you all gone through this stage? Can anyone relate to this? What is your story? Please ... i need enlightenment

thanks so much
xoxo
Mary

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    What happened to me.
    What happened to me. diagnosed in Aug. 2003. stage 3a grade 3 tumor size 6cm and 3cm and small one.

First surgeon I saw I discovered had only one year experience. Admitted to me that my case she didn't know what to do and referred me to another. I'd already determined to get another opinion. Surgeon #2 had to redo biopsies. What made it more complicated was tumor not showing on mammo or ultrasound. Found after surgery that 2 nodes had cancer also.

Treatment was A/C chemo for 4 cycles every three weeks.
    Modified radical mastectomy of right side
    Taxotere chemo for 4 cycles every three weeks
    Radiation for 6 weeks
    Tamoxifen and switched to Aromasin.

A lot of it is the experience your surgeon has. Pick one that you are comfortable with and can trust. For in the end you will have to let the control go to him/her. Just make the best decision you can.

Good luck.