chronic arm pain

Options
dmdudra
dmdudra Member Posts: 50
has anybody else had chronic arm pain after having limp nodes taken out..I had 19 of them taken out two years ago.. I know my surgeon told me to limit my lifting, raising and repetitious movement of that arm but please I have to work to pay the bills...any recommendations on what I should or can do about this pain?

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Arm Pain and Lymph Node Removal
    I had a complete axillary dissection where 22 lymph nodes were removed. I then had a right mastectomy and 16 rounds of chemo. I had a LOT of trouble with my arm. It was stiff, sore,weak, and the range of motion was very poor. The old adage "Use it or lose it" is so true. Restricted use made the whole thing worse. I went to physical therapy but didn't have particularly good results. I consulted with an orthopedic surgeon who recommended surgery (after a diagnostic work-up including an MRI and x-rays)to remove the adhesions that had formed in the joint. It is called a Mumford Procedure. You can Google it. I did physical therapy and exercised at home for about 2 months then went to a licensed physical therapist for 4 months. It made all the difference in the world. I am not at 100% and likely never will be, but I would have to say I am at 85% of normal. So I recommend that you consult with an orthopedist as soon as you can. Good luck. I hope hearing about my experience has been of some help.

IRENE
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

I had a complete axillary dissection where 22 lymph nodes were removed. I then had a right mastectomy and 16 rounds of chemo. I had a LOT of trouble with my arm. It was stiff, sore,weak, and the range of motion was very poor. The old adage "Use it or lose it" is so true. Restricted use made the whole thing worse. I went to physical therapy but didn't have particularly good results. I consulted with an orthopedic surgeon who recommended surgery (after a diagnostic work-up including an MRI and x-rays)to remove the adhesions that had formed in the joint. It is called a Mumford Procedure. You can Google it. I did physical therapy and exercised at home for about 2 months then went to a licensed physical therapist for 4 months. It made all the difference in the world. I am not at 100% and likely never will be, but I would have to say I am at 85% of normal. So I recommend that you consult with an orthopedist as soon as you can. Good luck. I hope hearing about my experience has been of some help.

IRENE

I do have pain too
    I have limited lifting to 5 pounds by affected arm (to prevent lymphedema a must). I gain a full range of motion back over 10 months after my mastectomy with 20 removed nodes. I am using my arm normally (except heavy lifting). Please do stretches and weight exercises starting from 2 pounds and slowly build to 3 -5 pounds. See physical therapist who is specialized in breast cancer they will help you with your arm.
    Hugs
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

IRENE

Maybe seeing a physical
    Maybe seeing a physical therapist would help? I hope that you get relief soon. Let us know.

Hugs, Debby