Neck Dissection pain and cold weather. How does the cold effect you?

Options
To all of you who have had neck dissections. Does the cold weather bother you? It seems to really bother my husband when the weather starts getting cold? How does it effect you?

Vsudd

Comments

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Options
    Yes!
    July 2010 diagnosed with cancer on upper lip. Surgery August, radiation followed. Last winter I was very sensitive to the cold (where ever the radiation hit). I was also cold. Layered clothing and always had a scarf when I went outside. When it was windy and cold I had a fleece hat that covered head and face, looked like I could rob a bank! Recurrance this summer, neck dissection in July and I just finished radiation. It has not gotten cold yet (I am in California, central valley) I will find out soon how the cold will effect me this winter. Sorry Hondo, no plans to move south of the USA for the winter.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hate the Cold
    I did not have Neck Dissection but the cold weather bothers me big time, I can’t stand it as I am always cold. I need 80 to 85 degree weather to keep warm, I guess it is all just another part of our new Normal us.

Wishing you the best during these cold times. :+()
    Hondo
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    for me, it went away
    I remember cold intolerance for a few years after my neck dissection. It stopped bothering me after a few years though. I had a hugely numb area, but now I barely notice it. I'm 13 years out from the surgery.
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

for me, it went away
    I remember cold intolerance for a few years after my neck dissection. It stopped bothering me after a few years though. I had a hugely numb area, but now I barely notice it. I'm 13 years out from the surgery.

I live in Chicago
    And the cold does not bother my neck disection to any significant degree. I do suffer from a common complaint here of being cold all the time but that's a different issue. The best rememdy for neck disection related pain is to exercise the related muscles and the most effective way I have found for that is yoga. The pink tights are an added reward.
  • Hondo
    Options
    ratface said:

I live in Chicago
    And the cold does not bother my neck disection to any significant degree. I do suffer from a common complaint here of being cold all the time but that's a different issue. The best rememdy for neck disection related pain is to exercise the related muscles and the most effective way I have found for that is yoga. The pink tights are an added reward.

Ratface
    If you get too cold way up there in the North you could always fly south for the winter. I know a nice little Island in Central America where it is nice and warm all the time. When I get my Home built there I will have an open invitation to all my CSN family to come anytime they want.

Hondo
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
    Options
    Hondo said:

Ratface
    If you get too cold way up there in the North you could always fly south for the winter. I know a nice little Island in Central America where it is nice and warm all the time. When I get my Home built there I will have an open invitation to all my CSN family to come anytime they want.

Hondo

Yep.
    The cold affects Mark (radical neck May 2010). Last March we had the opportunity to go to Miami (live in PA) and it was so amazing how much Mark felt better with the warm weather and warm water. It made him think about what he needs to implement here in PA to give him that warmth in winter. First thought: move to Florida. 2nd thought: buy a cheap condo in Miami, 3rd thought: get to Florida once a month in the winter time, 4th thought: get a hot tub. We went with thought #4 and I must say it will be used year round and he loves the way it makes his neck feel. He is also now a 2 scarf guy.
    Kim
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    The cold hurts my neck too.
    The cold hurts my neck too. Scarves, or hair or clothing on my scar is super annoying, but feels less annoying and painful than the cold. Sometimes I can tolerate a microwave neck wrap around my neck and it feels pretty good.

I really don't like it when cold air blows on my neck. Even in the summer when my friend Lynn takes me for rides on his Harley, I always wear a scarf.
  • Hondo
    Options

The cold hurts my neck too. Scarves, or hair or clothing on my scar is super annoying, but feels less annoying and painful than the cold. Sometimes I can tolerate a microwave neck wrap around my neck and it feels pretty good.

I really don't like it when cold air blows on my neck. Even in the summer when my friend Lynn takes me for rides on his Harley, I always wear a scarf.

Neck Dissection
    I did not have the neck dissection but all the same the cold just makes me feel worse. I love a sunny warm day it makes me feel good all over, and if I am hurting I just let the warm sunshine beam on me where I hurt.

Hondo
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    Hmmmmm - Cold
    I do feel like I'm more sensitive to cold and better able to withstand heat after chemo rads and dissection - both to a lesser degree now than fresh out of treatment. Thyroid took a hit - I'm on meds for that. But it seems to me that I have more "pulling" in my face when it's cold (from dissection - one side of my mouth sometimes is stiff or pulls) it's much better than it was early on, though. Lately, too, I seem to have more instances of increased difficulty forming words sometimes - this was pretty rare this summer. Oddly enough, the tongue difficulties seem to be on my left (cancer was on my right) side. Yeah, made me wonder, too - I mentioned it to chemo doc - he said to not worry, but let ENT know in December.
  • Pam M
    Options
    Hmmmmm - Cold
    Heavy "Enter" finger - sorry
  • Hondo
    Options
    Pam M said:

Hmmmmm - Cold
    Heavy "Enter" finger - sorry

Hi Pam

That is strange your cancer was on the right side but your tongue problems are on the left side, I have that same problem. My NPC was on the right side so most of my radiation was all on the right side, yet all my problems and side affects are on my left side. Nerve damage tongue numbness pain all on the left side of my face, I wonder why that is.

Is the radiation beam stronger going out then it is coming in?

Take care
    Hondo
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

Yep.
    The cold affects Mark (radical neck May 2010). Last March we had the opportunity to go to Miami (live in PA) and it was so amazing how much Mark felt better with the warm weather and warm water. It made him think about what he needs to implement here in PA to give him that warmth in winter. First thought: move to Florida. 2nd thought: buy a cheap condo in Miami, 3rd thought: get to Florida once a month in the winter time, 4th thought: get a hot tub. We went with thought #4 and I must say it will be used year round and he loves the way it makes his neck feel. He is also now a 2 scarf guy.
    Kim

the same thing applied to me with dry mouth
    Until a number of years went by and I had better saliva, dry cimates drove me crazy. I'd travel to Wyoming and be awake all night with their low humidity. Winters where I live are dry in terms of relative humidity. Had to use a humidifier at night, etc. It really does matter....
  • vsudd
    vsudd Member Posts: 52
    Options

Scarfs
    Yes, it seems I am always looking for scarfs . Scarfs and heating pads are a must !

Vsudd
  • Pam M
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Pam

That is strange your cancer was on the right side but your tongue problems are on the left side, I have that same problem. My NPC was on the right side so most of my radiation was all on the right side, yet all my problems and side affects are on my left side. Nerve damage tongue numbness pain all on the left side of my face, I wonder why that is.

Is the radiation beam stronger going out then it is coming in?

Take care
    Hondo

Makes You Wonder
    I hope I remember to ask my doc next month, Hondo
  • Husker Fan
    Husker Fan Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Nebraska just starting to cool off
    I have noticed as the weather has turned my neck muscles are getting real jumpy and tight when the cold hits my neck. I had TORS August 10, 2011 and neck dissection August 29, 2011 and have 7 radiation treatments left. I think I am the only person in Nebraska wearing a scarf already! :-)

Do they have electric scarf warmers like electric socks? LOL.

Have a great weekend,

David
  • Hondo
    Options

Nebraska just starting to cool off
    I have noticed as the weather has turned my neck muscles are getting real jumpy and tight when the cold hits my neck. I had TORS August 10, 2011 and neck dissection August 29, 2011 and have 7 radiation treatments left. I think I am the only person in Nebraska wearing a scarf already! :-)

Do they have electric scarf warmers like electric socks? LOL.

Have a great weekend,

David

Cold Weather
    I too have problems with the cold weather, but with me I just can’t jet warm and so I chill all way to the bone. I wish you well on the last 7 of your treatments.

Hondo