Mariam, how are you doing after your surgery? Guilty pleasure TV recommendations, everyone!

Options
TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
Mariam, I don't think I've seen anything from you since your Buy-3-Surgeries-Get-A-Free-Toaster-Friday -- we're thinking about you, and wondering how everything went, and how you're feeling?

To go along with your "emergency" stash of dark chocolate bonbons and Toblerone, I hope you're indulging in some mindless, guilty pleasure television. My favorites are the hours on end of "What Not to Wear," "Say Yes to the Dress," and "Four Weddings" that TLC often runs.

Okay, everyone -- let's give Mariam some ideas: What's YOUR favorite mindless, when-you're-sick, guilty pleasure television?

Traci

Comments

  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I can't offer a whole lot as
    I can't offer a whole lot as we do not have any cable channels. The only thing I watch on regular television is General Hospital. I used to watch All My Children but it was canceled last month! When I am stuck home I get Netflix!
    Mariam, Hulu and Netflix are an abundant source of viewing! Hulu you can use for free if you like but the selection is limited.

    Cindy

    I did check out "Bones" and "Castle" on Hulu.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

    I can't offer a whole lot as
    I can't offer a whole lot as we do not have any cable channels. The only thing I watch on regular television is General Hospital. I used to watch All My Children but it was canceled last month! When I am stuck home I get Netflix!
    Mariam, Hulu and Netflix are an abundant source of viewing! Hulu you can use for free if you like but the selection is limited.

    Cindy

    I did check out "Bones" and "Castle" on Hulu.

    Thinking of you too Mariam!
    Thinking of you too Mariam! Hoping you are resting and feeling well.


    Hugs, Jan
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Mindless TV
    Mariam, I hope your recovery is going well and you know that we are rooting for you. I would like to add the following programs to Traci's list of "mindless, guilty pleasure television." 1. Keeping Up with the Kardashians
    2. The Maury Show
    3. Man v. Food
    4. 19 Kids and Counting
    5. Gene Simmons Family Jewels

    I am so embarrassed to admit that I watch some of these shows that I am debating whether or not to actually post this. Oh well, here it goes. . .

    IRENE
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    Options
    I don't get to watch a lot
    I hope your recovery is going well!

    I don't get to watch a lot of 'grown-up' tv, but when I do it's:

    1. The Sing-Off
    2. Pop-up Videos on VH1 (they have new episodes now!)
    3. Don't Forget the Lyrics (i liked the old ones with Wayne Brady MUCH better...)
    4. RuPaul's Drag Race (the ONLY reality show I like. The ladies are FABULOUS!)
    5. Chopped (the cooking competition with weird ingredients)
    6. Storage Wars
    7. And the new show where the guy tries to copy restaurant recipes. Sorry, I forgot the name...

    Hmmm, that's a lot of shows for someone who doesn't watch much tv. I mostly watch tv in the middle of the night when I can't sleep and everyone else is in bed.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    JuJuBeez said:

    I don't get to watch a lot
    I hope your recovery is going well!

    I don't get to watch a lot of 'grown-up' tv, but when I do it's:

    1. The Sing-Off
    2. Pop-up Videos on VH1 (they have new episodes now!)
    3. Don't Forget the Lyrics (i liked the old ones with Wayne Brady MUCH better...)
    4. RuPaul's Drag Race (the ONLY reality show I like. The ladies are FABULOUS!)
    5. Chopped (the cooking competition with weird ingredients)
    6. Storage Wars
    7. And the new show where the guy tries to copy restaurant recipes. Sorry, I forgot the name...

    Hmmm, that's a lot of shows for someone who doesn't watch much tv. I mostly watch tv in the middle of the night when I can't sleep and everyone else is in bed.

    Miriam
    Miriam, hope you're doing well. Not sure anyone would pick up my guilty pleasure tv shows, but I'm sure a psychiatrist would have a lot to say about me.

    Anyway, Sons of Anarchy (my ex is a biker)
    NCIS
    CSI
    Bridezillas (can't believe anyone would be a bridesmaid for any of these girls)
    Say Yes to the Dress
    Gene Simmons Family Jewels

    Very eclectic, I know.

    marge
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll fess up
    I have been known to watch, embarrassed to admit this. Okay here it goes... "The Housewives of Beverly Hills, New Jersey, and Orange County". Okay, I feel like I just walked out of a confessional booth.

    Mariam... wishing you an uneventful recovery. Take care, rest up.
    Ines
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    I like to watch the shows about hoarding -
    makes me feel sooo much better about my closets and the pile of boxes I still have from moving 3 years ago!

    Mariam, I do hope you are feeling better.

    Sue
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    You guys are so funny!!

    You guys are so funny!! Thanks for the ideas and for thinking of me.

    Surgery went well and seems so easy compared to the first (mastectomy and DIEP flap). I keep pushing out my chest when my 40/50 something girlfriends come over and repeating how I don't need to wear a bra. Shame on me. I have not needed pain killers at all, well the thought crossed my mind when I had to hold my stomach because I was laughing so much reading your posts.

    I am happy, this is the end of the road (that I know of) for this cancer that I have been dealing for 2 years next month!!! And I am really celebrating on the couch!

    Here are my confessions of 'hang your head in disgrace because you watch these TV shows'. Actually I really don't care anymore 'cause life is too short to waste time feeling bad about who you are or what you like. To be honest we don't get TV but watch them on Netflix so I have been doing marathon runs.

    1.Say yes to the dress
    2.Hoarders (this makes me feel good about the mess in my apartment).
    3.Nanny 911 (this makes me feel better about my own parenting skills, sad I know).
    4.Stargate - Atlantis, SG1 and Universe
    5.Startrek
    6.The Simpsons
    7.Pysch

    .....and there is quite the list of other really bad shows my daughter has introduced to me.

    Constant companions have been Toblerone, croissants and Traders Joes ready to bake brownies with homemade strawberry ice-cream or coconut and whipped cream. Friends have been great dropping of meals so we have been able to eat decently without having to cook.... this offsets the other indulgences.

    I feel pretty spoilt for once in my life. Am not sure I am going to want to get off the couch anytime soon!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

    You guys are so funny!!

    You guys are so funny!! Thanks for the ideas and for thinking of me.

    Surgery went well and seems so easy compared to the first (mastectomy and DIEP flap). I keep pushing out my chest when my 40/50 something girlfriends come over and repeating how I don't need to wear a bra. Shame on me. I have not needed pain killers at all, well the thought crossed my mind when I had to hold my stomach because I was laughing so much reading your posts.

    I am happy, this is the end of the road (that I know of) for this cancer that I have been dealing for 2 years next month!!! And I am really celebrating on the couch!

    Here are my confessions of 'hang your head in disgrace because you watch these TV shows'. Actually I really don't care anymore 'cause life is too short to waste time feeling bad about who you are or what you like. To be honest we don't get TV but watch them on Netflix so I have been doing marathon runs.

    1.Say yes to the dress
    2.Hoarders (this makes me feel good about the mess in my apartment).
    3.Nanny 911 (this makes me feel better about my own parenting skills, sad I know).
    4.Stargate - Atlantis, SG1 and Universe
    5.Startrek
    6.The Simpsons
    7.Pysch

    .....and there is quite the list of other really bad shows my daughter has introduced to me.

    Constant companions have been Toblerone, croissants and Traders Joes ready to bake brownies with homemade strawberry ice-cream or coconut and whipped cream. Friends have been great dropping of meals so we have been able to eat decently without having to cook.... this offsets the other indulgences.

    I feel pretty spoilt for once in my life. Am not sure I am going to want to get off the couch anytime soon!

    I had no idea what I was starting here...
    Ladies, I have to admit, I've lost a little bit of respect for those of you who posted your "Hang Your Head in Disgrace" TV shows. I mean, my own list is certainly nothing to be proud of -- but bridezillas, hoarders, and the Kardashians?!? I'm thinking we should all make a donation to public television as penance or something.

    Mariam, Mariam, Mariam -- if you're indulging in Trader Joe's treats, then be SURE to try their new pumpkin ice cream!! We've been fighting over it in our house for the past week, and my girlfriend made a pilgrimage to TJ's yesterday just to get another carton. It tastes exactly like pumpkin pie, only ice cream....seriously, yum!

    Enjoy the spoiling and the decadence -- you've earned it!

    Traci
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

    I had no idea what I was starting here...
    Ladies, I have to admit, I've lost a little bit of respect for those of you who posted your "Hang Your Head in Disgrace" TV shows. I mean, my own list is certainly nothing to be proud of -- but bridezillas, hoarders, and the Kardashians?!? I'm thinking we should all make a donation to public television as penance or something.

    Mariam, Mariam, Mariam -- if you're indulging in Trader Joe's treats, then be SURE to try their new pumpkin ice cream!! We've been fighting over it in our house for the past week, and my girlfriend made a pilgrimage to TJ's yesterday just to get another carton. It tastes exactly like pumpkin pie, only ice cream....seriously, yum!

    Enjoy the spoiling and the decadence -- you've earned it!

    Traci

    Hopefully...
    Hoping Traci doesn't read this thread again because here's my "guilty pleasure" TV shows.....I confess...I watch all the "Housewives"....then my daughter and I trash them the next day....we laugh and say, who'd want to be friends with any of them? It's like watching a train wreck about to happen...you can't look away!

    Miriam....wishing you a very speedy recovery....milk this! Because soon enough everyone will expect you to be back to "normal"....

    My best to you....
    Hugs, Nancy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

    Hopefully...
    Hoping Traci doesn't read this thread again because here's my "guilty pleasure" TV shows.....I confess...I watch all the "Housewives"....then my daughter and I trash them the next day....we laugh and say, who'd want to be friends with any of them? It's like watching a train wreck about to happen...you can't look away!

    Miriam....wishing you a very speedy recovery....milk this! Because soon enough everyone will expect you to be back to "normal"....

    My best to you....
    Hugs, Nancy

    Caught you, Nancy...
    :-)

    Traci
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

    Caught you, Nancy...
    :-)

    Traci

    Miriam so glad to hear you're on the mend,
    relaxing and healing. Okay--I'm not gonna feel guilty, but here's my pathetic list:

    1. Housewives--Beverly Hills, Orange Co., NY, NJ
    2. Intervention
    3. Sister Wives
    4. Rachel Zoe Project

    I have to DVR these--my husband (who's an absolute angel) HATES these shows! So, I watch them in private!

    Hugs, Renee
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

    Miriam so glad to hear you're on the mend,
    relaxing and healing. Okay--I'm not gonna feel guilty, but here's my pathetic list:

    1. Housewives--Beverly Hills, Orange Co., NY, NJ
    2. Intervention
    3. Sister Wives
    4. Rachel Zoe Project

    I have to DVR these--my husband (who's an absolute angel) HATES these shows! So, I watch them in private!

    Hugs, Renee

    Oh I forgot"
    I need to add Rachel Zoe....again, my daughter got hooked on this....I love this show!

    You caught me Traci....lol
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    MAJW said:

    Hopefully...
    Hoping Traci doesn't read this thread again because here's my "guilty pleasure" TV shows.....I confess...I watch all the "Housewives"....then my daughter and I trash them the next day....we laugh and say, who'd want to be friends with any of them? It's like watching a train wreck about to happen...you can't look away!

    Miriam....wishing you a very speedy recovery....milk this! Because soon enough everyone will expect you to be back to "normal"....

    My best to you....
    Hugs, Nancy

    I love Dancing with the
    I love Dancing with the Stars, Survivor, Big Brother and most of those type of shows. I hope that still means that I am normal. LOL
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I dunno...I guess I don't
    I dunno...I guess I don't have any guilty pleasure TV shows...most of the ones you Kindreds watch I have never watched and honestly, some of them I have never even heard of!

    I am a Law and Order junkie...espcially any rerun with Goren and Eames on Criminal Intent~ though any and every incarnation of any Law and Order is just fine with me. I religiously watch every re-run of The Closer daily at 3PM, and then Harry's Law and The Good Wife. Oh yes..Blue Bloods on Friday night, too. I guess I see a pattern here~ police and attornies!

    I also now have Reggie hooked on an old BBC show with me which is on PBS Thursdays at 8PM ~ "Doc Martin" about a brilliant but rude and blood-phobic English counry doctor..hilarious!

    But of course my all time, never gets old, when all else fails~ I own all 7 seasons of Buffy The Vampire Slayer on DVD and have never, ever grown tired of, or stopped being amused by any episode on all seven years!