I just want to stuff my face!

Options
Cathelen72
Cathelen72 Member Posts: 33 Member
Just a small **** session. I hope you all don't mind. I am so tired of being hungry! I just want to stuff my face. I miss my pizza, my nachos, my cheesecake and my wine. Argh! I am a little over 2 months out from radiation and just completed my 5 th chemo session. My taste has started to come back but food isn't as exciting as I had hoped. I am down 40lbs and I actually look pretty good. I guess I packed on the pounds over the years for this very reason.
Ok enough complaining. I just was having a moment. I wish you all a happy and comfortable day.

Catherine

Comments

• Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Great post
    Made my day and a big smile. Take a picture of your plate when you finally get to "pig out".
  • ac
    ac Member Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sounds great
    Cat,

Sounds like you are doing well. I'm excited for you. Which tastes come back first and are they the same as you remembered it?
  • pattyanny
    pattyanny Member Posts: 544
    Options
    It takes a while Cath. Baby
    It takes a while Cath. Baby steps! I started out with the nutritional & frozen yogurt drinks, and lots of soups! I couldn't wait to eat but it took a while before anything tasted like anything I remembered. It will get better, and come by anytime for a ***** session - Lol! I had many a "pity party" here, and it is the perfect venue! :) Would also love to hear what you have when you have your "pig-out" party! Hang in there!

Prayers, Patty
    P.S. I never want to see a can of soup again! Hee hee!
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    All most there
    Catherine you are almost there soon the taste will come back again. When my taste came back the first thing I could taste was KFC and from there on I could not pass up KFC with out stopping. Yes things might taste a little different at first but before you know it there it will be.

All the taste to you, just a little more time.
    Hondo
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Catherine
    It's frustrating, for sure! B!t@h away, we understand!
  • Goalie
    Goalie Member Posts: 184
    Options

Catherine
    It's frustrating, for sure! B!t@h away, we understand!

The Good, the Bad, and the Salty
    Well, it has been more than a year now since I had a meal that was totally unencumbered in some way. Right now things are really comparatively great and I can eat almost anything very slowly and with lots of water. But I still can’t just pick up a sandwich or eat just anything like before it all. This makes eating out or on the go challenging. My wife – the saint - still makes most every meal on the soft side and without pasta and noodles and rice I would starve.

It is a great deal better than last fall during treatment when I could eat little and last spring after the neck dissection when the jaw pain and the mouth sores were so bad that eating was an emotional and physical struggle. I still gained weight with the protein milkshakes and such but it was hard.

I still find myself, however, with the occasional food aversion even when physically hungry. I just look at my food and cannot imagine how I am going to eat it because the desire is just not there. (OK, this happens more with leftovers at my desk in the office, but still.) And then I take a deep breath and start eating little by little because I know that nutrifying myself is one of my jobs. It can take an hour or more but I plug away at it.

Chocolate, alas, is still not tasty and Mary thinks I may not be able to taste bitter things. Ice cream of any flavor is also unfortunately not quite right but this may be because the lack of saliva makes the feel strange as well as the taste. And most red wine is still undrinkable to me.

Again, as with so much else, I am so much better off than so many others, that these are but little annoyances that highlight the much I have to be grateful for. Doug
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Goalie said:

Well, it has been more than a year now since I had a meal that was totally unencumbered in some way. Right now things are really comparatively great and I can eat almost anything very slowly and with lots of water. But I still can’t just pick up a sandwich or eat just anything like before it all. This makes eating out or on the go challenging. My wife – the saint - still makes most every meal on the soft side and without pasta and noodles and rice I would starve.

It is a great deal better than last fall during treatment when I could eat little and last spring after the neck dissection when the jaw pain and the mouth sores were so bad that eating was an emotional and physical struggle. I still gained weight with the protein milkshakes and such but it was hard.

I still find myself, however, with the occasional food aversion even when physically hungry. I just look at my food and cannot imagine how I am going to eat it because the desire is just not there. (OK, this happens more with leftovers at my desk in the office, but still.) And then I take a deep breath and start eating little by little because I know that nutrifying myself is one of my jobs. It can take an hour or more but I plug away at it.

Chocolate, alas, is still not tasty and Mary thinks I may not be able to taste bitter things. Ice cream of any flavor is also unfortunately not quite right but this may be because the lack of saliva makes the feel strange as well as the taste. And most red wine is still undrinkable to me.

Again, as with so much else, I am so much better off than so many others, that these are but little annoyances that highlight the much I have to be grateful for. Doug

Chocolate
    I noticed my semi sweet chocolate chips in my cookies yesterday, tasted pretty normal. I am thinking I may be ready to buy me some nice chocolate to try.

I can also eat bacon again. Maple bacon. Yum. Two and a half years without any bacon was way too long.
  • osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Missing
    I miss sushi , my onco said no more for now, so I just think about the day I can eat it again...may be awhile I'm afraid, but heck...wait I will

linda
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Options
    Goalie said:

Patience
    You are not alone, Doug, as you can clearly see. I finally ate chicken only within recent months, first in the form of drunk chicken (chicken thighs marinated in peach brandy) and then amazingly, my first fried chicken leg, this nearly six years following tongue surgery and radical neck dissection.

My first concern, then, was not so much about taste but about the simple joy of eating. With the tongue issue and with scarring in esophagus from radiation, it has been an issue for all of this time. I have still not had my first steak (not counting an excellently made prime rib I got down by sheer will) and other things have to prepared in a particular way for me to successfully eat them (and it sounds as though your wife is the same sort of saint that mine is, in that regard).

I agree with pattyanny with respect to soup :). I found I went through binges when I discovered I could eat something. First it was yogurt, yogurt of every flavor and brand until I could not stand the site of it. Then eggs! I could eat eggs! And cream of * soups, like chicken and cheddar cheese, and so on...so I went on the eggs and soup binge, where I would eat as much of the soup I could eat one meal, then mix the remainder with eggs for scrambled or omelet. Ah, those were the days.

So I went for awhile sick of both soups and eggs :).

Patience, Doug, it will come back to you!

Take care,

Joe
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

Chocolate
    I noticed my semi sweet chocolate chips in my cookies yesterday, tasted pretty normal. I am thinking I may be ready to buy me some nice chocolate to try.

I can also eat bacon again. Maple bacon. Yum. Two and a half years without any bacon was way too long.

Sweet for the Sweet
    I still can’t taste Chocolate very well there still a little sensation when I put it into my mouth but not much so I guess I lost that one forever. Ice cream I can taste but only for the first few bites then it loose it taste. I too am always hungry but don’t know what I am hungry for, I did find something I can taste and like it very much it is a Yogurt shake. My wife gets me some plan yogurt and I mix it with some Strawberry Kefir and Almond milk, then if I need any medicine I mix that in it too and down the hatch it goes.

Hondo :+))