Visit to consultant

Options
Hi Everyone

Was so worried this morning as it was time for my second follow up appointment with my consultant .He checked out my neck looked down my throat with a scope and had a look at my tonsil with that wooden stick the press your toungue down with and said he was happy with everything and i have to go back in 6 weeks time to see him ..I asked him if i would get a scan but he said not unless there was something they were concerned about ..I guess every country and hospital is different in the way they treat you and do your follow up ..I have a friend i write to who is in England and went through the same treatment as myself and he was scaned but I guess if the consultant is happy I should be to.

love Jan

Comments

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    United States?
    Where are you located. In the US the follow up standard is set by The National Comprehensive Cancer Network. This publication makes guidelines for treatment and follow-up protocol. It's easy to lookup, Just google it and register to become a member. Then open the guideline for head and neck cancer and go to the "Imaging follow up" recommendations. This is what your insurance company hangs their hat on when they deny a scan. The recommendation for our type of cancer with no symptoms otherwise known as asymptomatic is quite lacking only recommending a chest scan after 6 months of no problems. This is where you have to get your physician on board to provide clinical information to the contrary. It seems to me your physician is pretty damn confident that you are going to be OK. Not a bad thing????? This can work both ways as it may be too soon yet to scan and he is waiting six weeks to avoid false positives or you are 6 months post and he doesn't see a problem.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Congrats Jan
    Like mentioned, usually the norm is a CT or PET 3 - 6 months post treatment...some vary, most seem to do the scan.

Best,
    John
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Congrats Jan
    Like mentioned, usually the norm is a CT or PET 3 - 6 months post treatment...some vary, most seem to do the scan.

Best,
    John

Hi Jan

Like Rat and John I have my scans on track every 3 to 6 months but I never had but only one clean scan. If the doctor did not see anything to worry about that is very good news so for keep on doing what you are doing.

Wishing you all the best
    Hondo
  • Jan King
    Jan King Member Posts: 6
    Options
    ratface said:

United States?
    Where are you located. In the US the follow up standard is set by The National Comprehensive Cancer Network. This publication makes guidelines for treatment and follow-up protocol. It's easy to lookup, Just google it and register to become a member. Then open the guideline for head and neck cancer and go to the "Imaging follow up" recommendations. This is what your insurance company hangs their hat on when they deny a scan. The recommendation for our type of cancer with no symptoms otherwise known as asymptomatic is quite lacking only recommending a chest scan after 6 months of no problems. This is where you have to get your physician on board to provide clinical information to the contrary. It seems to me your physician is pretty damn confident that you are going to be OK. Not a bad thing????? This can work both ways as it may be too soon yet to scan and he is waiting six weeks to avoid false positives or you are 6 months post and he doesn't see a problem.

Visit to consultant
    I live in Scotland so things work a bit different than the US some hospitals over here do a scan at 12 post treatment but he did say that they would only do one if they felt there was something to be concerned about and that this check was the best way to see how things were doing ..I must admit I did have a CT scan before my treatment and was scanned every week of treatment at the Beatson Cancer Hospital in Scotland ...Thank you for taking the time to reply
    love Jan x
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Jan King said:

Visit to consultant
    I live in Scotland so things work a bit different than the US some hospitals over here do a scan at 12 post treatment but he did say that they would only do one if they felt there was something to be concerned about and that this check was the best way to see how things were doing ..I must admit I did have a CT scan before my treatment and was scanned every week of treatment at the Beatson Cancer Hospital in Scotland ...Thank you for taking the time to reply
    love Jan x

Hi Jan

The main thing is that you are feeling good and not having any problem. I think doctors here in the US may do the PET a little too much at times but they prefer to see if something is there early rather then later.

Take care, keep doing well
    Hondo