lung surgery

ladytriker
ladytriker Member Posts: 13
One month today, lower right lobe removed. Wish the pain was better, still need pain pills. Impatient want to be off oxygen, so I have more freedom. Chemo starts next week, I have Stage 1-Stage 2 non-small cancer with PScan showing no nodes involved. I am experiencing what everyone else is/has gone thru. Thanks for sharing that I'm not alone.

Comments

• catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    hi lady
    Well the pain will mostly subside. I was out of work for about 10 weeks.{I had a job that required lifting}. But thankfully it was caught very early. I still have some tenderness once in a while but if that is all I ever have to deal with It will be fine by me. Good luck Stay healthy
  • Debbi818
    Debbi818 Member Posts: 10
    Surgery and Chemo
    ladytriker,

I thought I was reading about me at first. In May I had my middle and right lower lobe removed. A month or so later I began chemo. I'm assuming you had adenocarcinoma in your lower lobe. What chemo will you be getting? You're going to feel pain, it's one of the most painful surgeries-I still feel pain (but not like it was) in my ribs and once in awhile my incision hurts. In addition to pain pills the doctor also prescribed lidoderm (it's novacaine in a patch) and it really helped. As for the oxygen I was finally told I didn't need it the last week of September. The oxygen company gave me a mobile tank-that gave me more flexibility to get out and do things.

As of August 18th I am now in remission. When I could I would get on my stationary bike to help build the lung I had left.

You're not alone.

Debbi
  • ladytriker
    Debbi818 said:

Surgery and Chemo
    ladytriker,

I thought I was reading about me at first. In May I had my middle and right lower lobe removed. A month or so later I began chemo. I'm assuming you had adenocarcinoma in your lower lobe. What chemo will you be getting? You're going to feel pain, it's one of the most painful surgeries-I still feel pain (but not like it was) in my ribs and once in awhile my incision hurts. In addition to pain pills the doctor also prescribed lidoderm (it's novacaine in a patch) and it really helped. As for the oxygen I was finally told I didn't need it the last week of September. The oxygen company gave me a mobile tank-that gave me more flexibility to get out and do things.

As of August 18th I am now in remission. When I could I would get on my stationary bike to help build the lung I had left.

You're not alone.

Debbi

helpful
    Thank you Debbie for the info. I'll try that idea and call the Dr. I getting tired of feeling aches, pain and soreness, it's preventing me from doing/going further with my activities. It doesn't make me a fun person to be around.
  • ladytriker
    catcon49 said:

hi lady
    Well the pain will mostly subside. I was out of work for about 10 weeks.{I had a job that required lifting}. But thankfully it was caught very early. I still have some tenderness once in a while but if that is all I ever have to deal with It will be fine by me. Good luck Stay healthy

Thank you for your words of
    Thank you for your words of encouragement. They help!
  • grannylove
    grannylove Member Posts: 183
    Ladytriker
    So glad to hear you are on the mend. Be patient with yourself, you have had a major surgery, and yes, it is a tough one but necessary. Just try and keep ahead of the pain. Make sure you are moving about....it does help with the pain. I too used the lidocaine patches, worked great and better than narcotics in your body. I am coming up on 6 months post op and am still tender in ribs under breast. Did you have VATS or the full thorocotomy? I had the full thorocotomy and it does take alittle longer to heal. Don't forget to do your breathing exercises. I know you are anxious to get back to your old self, but take heart....you will have new "normal" to get used to. Thanks for keeping us posted, as we were wondering how your surgery went. We are here for you Ladytriker, so any concerns, questions, vent or just to talk. Take care to take care. Thoughts and prayers to you. Cheryl
  • Deb0202
    Deb0202 Member Posts: 14
    Two Steps Forward...
    I remember feeling as if the recovery was 'two steps forward and one step backward'. Before you know it, what is a struggle for you to do today will be a breeze, but be patient. I do remember being, for once, very glad I had no hair to deal with! Thinking of you!
  • PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member
    Deb0202 said:

Two Steps Forward...
    I remember feeling as if the recovery was 'two steps forward and one step backward'. Before you know it, what is a struggle for you to do today will be a breeze, but be patient. I do remember being, for once, very glad I had no hair to deal with! Thinking of you!

Pain after surgery
    Two years ago I had an upper right lobectomy. This was by far the most painful surgery of my life and I thought the pain would never stop. About 3 weeks after surgery the surgeon told me to stop taking hydrocodone. I stopped and within a couple of days I was positively miserable. I went to my pulmonologist and he said it's OK to get back on hydrocodone and wean myself off when I'm ready. I took it for about 3 more weeks and lowered the dose along the way until I stopped. My point is that sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and let them know you are in pain. But at the same time have faith the pain will end and you will eventually feel normal again. The timeline is different for everyone and you must go at your own pace. I know it's hard but hang in there.

Wishing you the very best with your recovery from surgery and your continued treatment.

Pam
  • ladytriker
    Deb0202 said:

Two Steps Forward...

healing and loss of hair
    Thank goodness for 'good friends' and a good support system. So far I have been able to handle the side effects of the chemo. Wig is ready to be worn. PScan showed a lesion (cyst) on my uterus. I will be having a laproscopic done next week, just to make sure it's just a cyst. Again, fingers are crossed and it doesn't have to have further work. Now to get my breathing improved and have more energy.
  • Greggriggs
    Greggriggs Member Posts: 132

Pain after surgery
    Two years ago I had an upper right lobectomy. This was by far the most painful surgery of my life and I thought the pain would never stop. About 3 weeks after surgery the surgeon told me to stop taking hydrocodone. I stopped and within a couple of days I was positively miserable. I went to my pulmonologist and he said it's OK to get back on hydrocodone and wean myself off when I'm ready. I took it for about 3 more weeks and lowered the dose along the way until I stopped. My point is that sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and let them know you are in pain. But at the same time have faith the pain will end and you will eventually feel normal again. The timeline is different for everyone and you must go at your own pace. I know it's hard but hang in there.

Wishing you the very best with your recovery from surgery and your continued treatment.

Pam

Dang
    Pam after five years I am still in pain they removed my left lung in 2006.
    I still take norco and guess I always will, bad back still have a bunch of pain from all the nerves they cut.
    Any way i'm 70 years old and might as well go out smiling .
    Bless ya Pam
    Greg
  • Greggriggs
    Greggriggs Member Posts: 132

Pain after surgery

Pam

Dang
    I still take norco and guess I always will, bad back still have a bunch of pain from all the nerves they cut.
    Bless ya Pam
    Greg
  • ladytriker

Dang
    Bless ya Pam
    Greg

Smiling
    Glad you have a good attitude......its encouraging! Your a good role model.