Thyroid problem

Options
Just a heads up. A few months after my radiation treatments I got depressed and just could not shake it. My primary physician is really sharp and figured it was probably my thyroid gland because of all the radiation I had around my neck. After a blood test it showed my thoroid was under active and put me on synthroid medication and now I am fine. The reason I bring this up is because after talking to another neck cancer patient who had the same treatment we both discovered we had never had a test for thyroid condition after treatment. Something to keep an eye on.

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Dan
    Same here my Thyroid went out about one year after treatment. I kept getting weaker and weaker and did not know what was wrong, went to see my oncal man about it and he could not find anything. So I went to my family doctor and she knew what it was right off the bat, checked my thyroid and sure enough is was way too low. I do great now 6 year later and never a thyroid problem.

Thanks
    Hondo
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    TSH & Free T4
    Hi Dan, glad your MD got you hooked up...

Yes you are correct, the Thyroid does take a big hit from the rads. Most of us do or will have Thyroid problems as a result.

Mine has been going south for awhile, but I'm not on meds yet.

They do monitor my TSH and Free T4, the main indicators for Thyroid function.

My TSH is nearly 7 (5 being max normal), but Free T4 is still in normal ranges.

Best,
    John