Any thing better to drink than water?

Options
2»

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

Sticky tar gunk...
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like something I want to drink. Sounds like something you can stick a spoon up in. I think I will stick with my tea, thanks. :)

I'm going to need to try a seafood chowder type thing some day. Poached fish was still hard for me last time I tried, but that was months ago.

Evaporated Milk Base
    The base that I use is evaporated milk.....

I usually cut up a little bacon, celery and onions in a stock pot, and simmer. Then I'll add water and cut up some potatoes and add a little canned corn, bringing to a boil for a few minutes.

Then I'll add a few cans of evaporated milk and simmer for a little while.

Next, I usually add whatever fish has been in the freezer for awhile (older fish has a more fishy taste, but flavors the chowder well)...usually grouper or snapper. I'll chunk that up in good size one inch chunks or so.

I'll also add a few cans of Gordon's Chopped Clams to the mix, pouring the juice in also.

Next, I'll add whatever...half a pound of peeled fresh shrimp, maybe a half pound of bay scallops.

I'll let all of that simmer a little while, not too long or the fish will dissolve. I'll also add a little sherry near the end to give it a little extra flavor. Also, a little lemon pepper sometimes once in the bowl and a few splashes of Cajun Sunshine, and or a few drops of fresh squeezed lime.

Served up with a chunk of toasty thick garlic bread.

JG
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    xylitol
    Jim drinks only water and not much of that. As for the water with xylitol in it, I would caution that it gives alot of people embarassing stomach side effects like gas. I used candy with xylitol in it when I tried to quit smoking yers ago. It took a couple weeks to realize what was causing the problem. Jim was relieved when I went back to smoking. I did eventually quit. :)
  • BrianKrashpad
    BrianKrashpad Member Posts: 188
    Options
    club soda
    My chemo doc is very big on Club Soda. I mainly drink water, but do club soda when I can find it and remember to pick it up. It does cut through the thick saliva better than water.

Be well.
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    For Me
    For me after trying many drinks over many years it comes down to water, Stoppers4 between drinks and at bed time, only one brand of root beer Mugs and the only soda that works, McDonalds sweet tea (i know it is not good for me, but i do not do it often). Nothing spicy, almost nothing alcohol, nothing that is carbonated. When i say almost nothing alcohol I did a strange thing at a party about 2 years ago and saw rum standing there and added it to Mug Root Beer. I don't get it but it does not burn, if I try with other soda's it burns.

John
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    NJR said:

smell
    My sense of smell did coincide with the loss of taste which two months out mostly still remains, however for me it was so acute that I could tell the smell of saline solution and Heprin in closed syringes when they flush my multi ports. I could tell the smell of morphine and several other drugs that I had identified on my own before I even realized what was happening. It was a double edged sword though, as most of everything I was smelling was so strong that it almost made as ill as the smell that sweet described with the PEG tube. Fortunately being one of the last remaining smells that overwhelm me I was able to get some silicone bandages that blocked it completely for a day at a time. I believe that was my big problem with the Ensure and the PEG tube. The sick sweet smell wanted to make my sick before I ever poured a can.

PEG Tube Smell
    The smell of that tube and of that canned stuff was so strong and making me so sick, that I had to open up string smelling stuff that I loved, to stick under my nose, to get through feedings. Like coffee, almond extract, fresh Ginger and curry powder. I would rotate. It was awful. I still cannot deal with that canned food smell and Ensure kinda makes me feel sick, too.
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

For Me
    For me after trying many drinks over many years it comes down to water, Stoppers4 between drinks and at bed time, only one brand of root beer Mugs and the only soda that works, McDonalds sweet tea (i know it is not good for me, but i do not do it often). Nothing spicy, almost nothing alcohol, nothing that is carbonated. When i say almost nothing alcohol I did a strange thing at a party about 2 years ago and saw rum standing there and added it to Mug Root Beer. I don't get it but it does not burn, if I try with other soda's it burns.

John

John FISRPOTPE
    Why do you think the tea is bad for you? Black tea has antioxidants and is some good benefits. Or do you mean cause of the sugar?

I agree, Mug rootbeer is the only one my tongue can tolerate and it was the inky thing I could drink for a few months. Pappy's Sassafras Tea feels ok on the tongue too. So maybe it's the sassafras that does it. The hematologist oncologist was the one that told me about Mug rootbeer. I had someone try and give me Barques rootbeer thinking I would never know the difference. Of course it burned immediately, and I couldn't drink it. Not a nice thing to do!
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Evaporated Milk Base
    The base that I use is evaporated milk.....

I usually cut up a little bacon, celery and onions in a stock pot, and simmer. Then I'll add water and cut up some potatoes and add a little canned corn, bringing to a boil for a few minutes.

Then I'll add a few cans of evaporated milk and simmer for a little while.

Next, I usually add whatever fish has been in the freezer for awhile (older fish has a more fishy taste, but flavors the chowder well)...usually grouper or snapper. I'll chunk that up in good size one inch chunks or so.

I'll also add a few cans of Gordon's Chopped Clams to the mix, pouring the juice in also.

Next, I'll add whatever...half a pound of peeled fresh shrimp, maybe a half pound of bay scallops.

I'll let all of that simmer a little while, not too long or the fish will dissolve. I'll also add a little sherry near the end to give it a little extra flavor. Also, a little lemon pepper sometimes once in the bowl and a few splashes of Cajun Sunshine, and or a few drops of fresh squeezed lime.

Served up with a chunk of toasty thick garlic bread.

JG

Sounds so good!
    I would not have thought of using evaporated milk. I cannot do clams, but I would like to try oysters and see if they work. I can do regular scallops better than the bay, and I can use shrimp if I put it through the mini chopper. My can of creamed corn, blended until velvety, might be nice in there. Garlic flat bread would have to suffice.

I will have to put some items on my next grocery list to make some chowder!
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

club soda
    My chemo doc is very big on Club Soda. I mainly drink water, but do club soda when I can find it and remember to pick it up. It does cut through the thick saliva better than water.

Be well.

Water

I tried many of different drinks and still come back to just plan water, but I keep trying and maybe someday I will find something that I can handle. I never tried Club Soda yet so it is next on my list

Hondo
  • Grafikdsgnr
    Grafikdsgnr Member Posts: 11
    Options

Warm tea..
    After throat surgery and 3 weeks into radiation, I find warm (not hot) tea is soothing on the throat. Can't do milk, makes the mucus worst. Carbonation burns, lots and lots of water.

Water tastes like what i imagine dirty, soapy dish water would!
    I have six more rad treatments and absolutely no taste left whatsoever! That, combined with a cold (haven't had one in over 10 years), and not being able to stand to eat, I have lost 23lbs, so far. I know that my taste isn't coming back the day I stop radiation, so I wonder just how much weight I'll lose? Room temp drinks are all I can stand. Milk is smoother than water, but it's a double-edged sword because it just makes that miserable collection of mucus in the mouth worse. Don't know what to turn to anymore! Any ideas?

I feel weaker and more light-headed these days as my blood pressure is dropping. My wife is trying so hard to get anything down me and needless to say, is worried. I dread sitting down to eat as it has become a chore and long-drawn out process. Even oatmeal doesn't seem tolerable anymore. It just creates more mucus! Anything I try to force down comes so close to producing a gag reflex. I managed to work my way through a scrambled egg and 3 bites of oatmeal this morning. Major achievement.

Definitely no carbonation, acidic drinks or juices of any kind. Pastas, mashed potatoes, Asian noodles, yogurt, over-easy eggs, and almost anything white seems to just perpetuate that mucus collection in my mouth!

Really struggling with just how to get any calories and protein in me other that the protein shakes that I manage to muster down during the course of the day...the problem is, they create more mucus! Water makes my throat more 'scratchy' than it already is, but is thinner and can clean out the mouth somewhat.

I know that I'll make it through this and have some sort of recovery. After reading so many blogs, I'm just not sure anymore how far back to 'normal' I'll ever be? I'm so thankful to be alive and here for my wife and kids, but I just can't imagine an existence like this for the rest of my life! I'm praying so earnestly that this is only temporary.

For those of you out there still battling no taste, etc., I'm going to be praying for you just as hard.

Pete
  • sweetblood22
    Options

Water tastes like what i imagine dirty, soapy dish water would!
    I have six more rad treatments and absolutely no taste left whatsoever! That, combined with a cold (haven't had one in over 10 years), and not being able to stand to eat, I have lost 23lbs, so far. I know that my taste isn't coming back the day I stop radiation, so I wonder just how much weight I'll lose? Room temp drinks are all I can stand. Milk is smoother than water, but it's a double-edged sword because it just makes that miserable collection of mucus in the mouth worse. Don't know what to turn to anymore! Any ideas?

I feel weaker and more light-headed these days as my blood pressure is dropping. My wife is trying so hard to get anything down me and needless to say, is worried. I dread sitting down to eat as it has become a chore and long-drawn out process. Even oatmeal doesn't seem tolerable anymore. It just creates more mucus! Anything I try to force down comes so close to producing a gag reflex. I managed to work my way through a scrambled egg and 3 bites of oatmeal this morning. Major achievement.

Definitely no carbonation, acidic drinks or juices of any kind. Pastas, mashed potatoes, Asian noodles, yogurt, over-easy eggs, and almost anything white seems to just perpetuate that mucus collection in my mouth!

Really struggling with just how to get any calories and protein in me other that the protein shakes that I manage to muster down during the course of the day...the problem is, they create more mucus! Water makes my throat more 'scratchy' than it already is, but is thinner and can clean out the mouth somewhat.

I know that I'll make it through this and have some sort of recovery. After reading so many blogs, I'm just not sure anymore how far back to 'normal' I'll ever be? I'm so thankful to be alive and here for my wife and kids, but I just can't imagine an existence like this for the rest of my life! I'm praying so earnestly that this is only temporary.

For those of you out there still battling no taste, etc., I'm going to be praying for you just as hard.

Pete

pete
    sorry, you are struggling so. i was in so much pain, that i was strictly 100% peg tube for a long time. i also do not seem to have the issue with mucus and dairy products like other people seem to have. i never understood that, it never bothered me.

more than likely, you will not be like that for the rest of your life. the mucus will subside, and you may get on the dry side. your taste will come back too, it just takes a while. if you do not have a peg tube, and are not in severe pain enough or not to the point where you need to get a peg tube put in, you will just have to keep trying to force yourself to get food and water in you. you must get the nutrition and hydration in you in order to keep fighting, and to heal as quickly as possible. i am so sorry, you are struggling, and i wish i knew of anything that tasted decent, and did not hurt or burn to eat and drink. i found nothing i could eat or drink with out servere pain.

you only have six treatments left! so soon you will at least not be getting zapped anymore, that is a relief. then you will continue to cook bit longer. there is light at the end of the tunnle. you can get thru it. though it can be brutal. i am hoping that you heal qickly, and your side effects do not increase. praying for you.

d
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

John FISRPOTPE
    Why do you think the tea is bad for you? Black tea has antioxidants and is some good benefits. Or do you mean cause of the sugar?

I agree, Mug rootbeer is the only one my tongue can tolerate and it was the inky thing I could drink for a few months. Pappy's Sassafras Tea feels ok on the tongue too. So maybe it's the sassafras that does it. The hematologist oncologist was the one that told me about Mug rootbeer. I had someone try and give me Barques rootbeer thinking I would never know the difference. Of course it burned immediately, and I couldn't drink it. Not a nice thing to do!

Sweets
    it's the sugar in sweet tea that is not good nor is the dark color as it stains your teeth after being damaged from radiation and dry mouth.

John
  • olybee
    olybee Member Posts: 85
    Options
    NJR said:

Trust me
    It is subject to change. The deal with Gatorade is that it contains Sodium and the Mountain Dew is lightly carbonated. I neglected to say I had to let it go flat. I still can't tolerate a coke. What gets me is that even a flake of pepper, grain of table salt, or even slightly acidic juices feel exactly as you describe. Scalding.
    Please tell me something. Did you by chance go through a period where you had the ability to smell as well as a blood hound? Even though I couldn't tolerate such things my sense of smell could pick them out in sealed IV bags and syringes. It became quite a game for the nurses to come into my room and have a syringe full of one substance or another and I could identify it from across the room without ever seeing the container. It was one of the most miserable periods of my entire ordeal because I could smell every foul odor there was to smell and no one around me could, so I was automatically crazy until I proved it. I never figured out why, but one of my nurses said that she had heard of it happening, but I was the first to ever demonstrate it.

Nose of a Blood Hound
    It is WONDERFUL to hear someone else say this. My husband has been SO sensitive to smells, he drives the rest of the family crazy at times. I don't think his sense of smell is accurate, though, because even good smells of food in the house are horrible to him. Anyone in our house who wants to eat something that has much scent at all has to try to sneak in a meal when he's out of the kitchen area. He also can't stand to go to public places with lots of people, because he says he can smell them all, and it isn't a good smell. It is rare that he says something smells good. I hope he'll get to the point where at least things will have good smells again. I tease him that I could hire him out as a cadaver dog or a drug-sniffing pooch, but he doesn't get my sense of humor.
    I hope you get better quickly. I notice that I think it is getting less common for him to complain, so I'm assuming it is getting better.
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

Sweets
    it's the sugar in sweet tea that is not good nor is the dark color as it stains your teeth after being damaged from radiation and dry mouth.

John

I don't really put any sugar
    I don't really put any sugar in my (hot) tea. Don't drink iced tea. With all the tea I drink every day, I'm very surprised that my teeth aren't super stained then.
  • Grafikdsgnr
    Options

pete
    sorry, you are struggling so. i was in so much pain, that i was strictly 100% peg tube for a long time. i also do not seem to have the issue with mucus and dairy products like other people seem to have. i never understood that, it never bothered me.

more than likely, you will not be like that for the rest of your life. the mucus will subside, and you may get on the dry side. your taste will come back too, it just takes a while. if you do not have a peg tube, and are not in severe pain enough or not to the point where you need to get a peg tube put in, you will just have to keep trying to force yourself to get food and water in you. you must get the nutrition and hydration in you in order to keep fighting, and to heal as quickly as possible. i am so sorry, you are struggling, and i wish i knew of anything that tasted decent, and did not hurt or burn to eat and drink. i found nothing i could eat or drink with out servere pain.

you only have six treatments left! so soon you will at least not be getting zapped anymore, that is a relief. then you will continue to cook bit longer. there is light at the end of the tunnle. you can get thru it. though it can be brutal. i am hoping that you heal qickly, and your side effects do not increase. praying for you.

d

Thanks so-o-o-0 much for the kind words . . .
    Intellectually, I know that this is only temporary. Emotionally, I struggle with the unknown down the road. To what degree will I be back to 'normal'? I know that no one can answer this. I've seen all your photos that you have on your profile and I really have to hand it to you. Here I am whining (not my typical character), and by the looks of things, you have had it MUCH worse than I! Love your attitude, your lust for life and the fact that you are out there engaging life to the fullest. Thanks for keeping up, encouraging and offering your experiences with all the survivors and people currently going through this crap. Don't stop.

I hope I can give back as yourself, Hondo, and john (sorry, I can't mention all of you, but you're just as deservid).

P.S.
    Love the photo of you and your Dad along with your comments. Sounds like a fun guy.

Pete
  • sweetblood22
    Options

Thanks so-o-o-0 much for the kind words . . .
    Intellectually, I know that this is only temporary. Emotionally, I struggle with the unknown down the road. To what degree will I be back to 'normal'? I know that no one can answer this. I've seen all your photos that you have on your profile and I really have to hand it to you. Here I am whining (not my typical character), and by the looks of things, you have had it MUCH worse than I! Love your attitude, your lust for life and the fact that you are out there engaging life to the fullest. Thanks for keeping up, encouraging and offering your experiences with all the survivors and people currently going through this crap. Don't stop.

I hope I can give back as yourself, Hondo, and john (sorry, I can't mention all of you, but you're just as deservid).

P.S.
    Love the photo of you and your Dad along with your comments. Sounds like a fun guy.

Pete

Pete
    Whining is what I do best, well one of the things I do best, I think. Lol. There are people who had and have it way worse than I do, and I remind myself of that almost on a daily basis. Not sure I'm totally engaging life as fully as I should. I still have my struggles, for sure, both mentally and physically. I could get out more, for sure. It's hard though, my friends are married, and I'm single. Which is another thing that kinda depresses me. I find that sticking around here to try and give some help and support helps to keep my whining in check, and reminds me that I am lucky and blessed in many ways.

My dad is a nut, my whole family is crazy. IIRC, the picture of my dad on there is when he still had that crazy mustache, with the long braids, he has cut them off since then, thank god. One July fourth, I had to walk around with him after he dyed those danglers red, white and blue. Yep. No kidding. Lol. No quiet dinners for friends and family in this house. They are all loud and crazy people. I miss my coping juice (wine) on holidays! Lol. :)
  • Grafikdsgnr
    Options

Pete
    Whining is what I do best, well one of the things I do best, I think. Lol. There are people who had and have it way worse than I do, and I remind myself of that almost on a daily basis. Not sure I'm totally engaging life as fully as I should. I still have my struggles, for sure, both mentally and physically. I could get out more, for sure. It's hard though, my friends are married, and I'm single. Which is another thing that kinda depresses me. I find that sticking around here to try and give some help and support helps to keep my whining in check, and reminds me that I am lucky and blessed in many ways.

My dad is a nut, my whole family is crazy. IIRC, the picture of my dad on there is when he still had that crazy mustache, with the long braids, he has cut them off since then, thank god. One July fourth, I had to walk around with him after he dyed those danglers red, white and blue. Yep. No kidding. Lol. No quiet dinners for friends and family in this house. They are all loud and crazy people. I miss my coping juice (wine) on holidays! Lol. :)

From Whine to Wine :~))
    Never for one moment ever detected you whining! Yep, sometimes it's tough being a fifth wheel when all your friends are married. But don't regret your situation over being with the wrong person. Your patience will reward you with the guy that will sweep you off your feet! You'll forget about whining so fast because you'll be too busy celebrating with WINE!

You're right about always coming across people who have it worse than us . . . and those that didn't make it. We have a lot to be thankful for.

P
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

From Whine to Wine :~))
    Never for one moment ever detected you whining! Yep, sometimes it's tough being a fifth wheel when all your friends are married. But don't regret your situation over being with the wrong person. Your patience will reward you with the guy that will sweep you off your feet! You'll forget about whining so fast because you'll be too busy celebrating with WINE!

You're right about always coming across people who have it worse than us . . . and those that didn't make it. We have a lot to be thankful for.

P

Dawn - Right Guy
    If you are lucky, you'll find a guy with all of my qualities....

If you're super lucky, you'll find a guy with only my good qualities, bawahahaha...LOL.....

JG
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Dawn - Right Guy
    If you are lucky, you'll find a guy with all of my qualities....

If you're super lucky, you'll find a guy with only my good qualities, bawahahaha...LOL.....

JG

John
    If she is really really lucky she will find a guy with both of our good looks, also my Mechanic and your Computer and Fishing ability so she can live like a Queen.

Did I say my good looks already hmmm maybe the ones I use to have…

Sweet you will be the catch of a lifetime for some lucky man, problem with us Men we never know what we have until we don’t have it anymore.
    ╠╣ONDO
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Hondo said:

John
    If she is really really lucky she will find a guy with both of our good looks, also my Mechanic and your Computer and Fishing ability so she can live like a Queen.

Did I say my good looks already hmmm maybe the ones I use to have…

Sweet you will be the catch of a lifetime for some lucky man, problem with us Men we never know what we have until we don’t have it anymore.
    ╠╣ONDO

I've given up.
    I seem to be invisible to men 40-50 yrs old. The only people who ever hit on me, are women and geriatric men, that could be my father or grandfather. Not kidding. Oh, or married.