Options
2»

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Laurettas
    I've found there are different groups we fall into.
    Those who do their surgery and treatment and are finished with everything.
    Those who do their surgery and treatment and can live with their cancer as a chronic disease.

I've been reluctant to over-post about doing this for as long as I have. Someone who is new to this doesn't want to hear that they might be doing this for a very long time, they want to hear what most of us want to hear. Do the surgery, then 12 rounds of chemo (if you chose chemo), then you're done with cancer. I just want people to know that one CAN live a fairly normal life with cancer. That's why I agreed to the Stories of Hope interview. It's not my first choice but I'll take. Of course there is the third group which I don't need to go into, we're all too aware of it unfortunately.
    -phil

My Buddy, Phil
    Wasn't it Simon and Garfunkel who so eloquently penned the verse from "The Boxer"...

"A man hears what he wants to hear - and disregards the rest?"

One of my favorite songs from 2 of the greatest poets in the music world, eh Phil?

Your post has resonated with me all day and it's still rattling around in my skull. I was felled by another slight episode of vertigo that temporarily knocked me off my heels, but I'm up again and wanted to respond.

I wanted to comment on your post. I agree with you that the new folks might not want to hear about folks fighting on for several years. They want to hear just what you said about getting in - an getting out and having a nice story to tell everyone around the campfire.

But, the question remains, Phil - "Are we really doing them any favors by not telling them?"

As you already know, it's not so much our message, but the manner and the tone in which it is delivered. Mentioning how many years you have fought on DOES MEAN more than you might think, buddy. And now, I'm going to tell you a personal story on WHY I feel that is.

When I first came to the board, I scouted out all of the players and you were on my radar screen right from the get-go.

And the reason for that, is that I found IN YOU, a person who had fought his cancer with the same fervor and intensity that I had and for almost the same amount of time (you are 4-months up on me).

You shared a similar belief and approach to the way that I had handled cancer - only I had been at the time 5-years by myself in my approach.

So, when I found phillieg fighting on for as long as I have (you had posted it), I felt this immediate kinship with you and the most important thing I got out of you posting the amount of time you had been fighting was.....

...that I no longer felt alone by fighting that long....and that I was not a FREAK in some sideshow exhibit.

YOU did that for me, Phil. You did it because you posted your longevity and that's where one of the big draws was for me.....otherwise, I might have never known. And you gave me the hope and inspiration that if Phil can continue to do it - then so can I.

And here I am at 7.4 years and you clocking in at 7.8 years and the fact remains that you and I are still here - and still posting.

It is significant, Phil. Why people may not want to think about fighting for so long, I feel it is important and imperative to put ourself out there, with the same message you have already stated:

"I just want people to know that one CAN live a fairly normal life with cancer." ~from Phil

Because, we want them to know that while we never want that for them, we are sending a clear message that you can extend your life and find a way to co-exist with cancer. This provided people the hope and inspiration to keep their battles going.

And if they do find themselves in that position one day, they can point to the people that also did what they would aspire to do as well if called upon. Having that ammo in their pocket could mean alot to those folks.

While we all apsire to reach NEDsville, I've always felt that the "long-term fighting group" is an important facet here on this board and what we represent here on the board is very relevant and can give many folks hope and support.

In fact, it could mean more to the newbies, as they can see something that they may not be able to relate to, but understand that is an incredible feat to fight on for this length of time.

And it's all about longevity, eh buddy?

I've always admired your approach to cancer, Phil - you're a great friend of mine, if you didn't already know that. I've always looked up to you and having posted here for close to 2.5 years, I also wanted to say THANK YOU for your many years of service on this board. You've seen alot of stuff and the dedication you've exhibited speaks volumes about your character.

You're still a 'yankee', but I love ya' anyway, LOL LOL!

"From the Singer Dude to the Guitar Man"

-Craig
  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Kimo Sabe said:

Kittens
    That says a great deal about you, IMHO. I have two cats, and they are so special
    I worry a little about people who don't like cats. To me a cat is 100 percent cat. What you see is what you get. You can't say that abut people or many animals.
    Occaisionally my love is challenged at night when they decide my chest is a runway.

Norm

Runway
    Runway easy, I am a heavy sleeper. Scratching post is another story!
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Me???
    I like kittens and sunrises.
    Oh, I had chemo on Wednesday and I'm having my 4th RFA on Monday.

extending
    Hey Phil, have you ever asked around about extending your coverage with cimetidine? By now you could have BMS or Roche's labs answering phone calls.