What is up with eyelashes?

The first thing that grew back after my last chemo treatment (May 13) were my eyelashes and eyebrows. They were just getting long enough for mascara and now it appears the long ones are falling out again. Anyone have a similar thing happen?

- Susan

Comments

  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    oh...
    Don't tell me that, mine just came back a little bit ago and I'm so not ready to have them vacate premises again.
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    dixiegirl said:

    oh...
    Don't tell me that, mine just came back a little bit ago and I'm so not ready to have them vacate premises again.

    Eyebrows...
    It hasn't happened to me at 9 months out from last chemo. My hair thinned"big time" but has since grown back thicker, and both of my eyelashes and brows are filled back in like they were before chemo. Gosh..I sure hope they stay this way...I hated the way my eyebrows and lashes looked during chemo! Weird how some things happen to some and not to others.
    Love..Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • bluerose
    bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
    Hi Susan
    I am a 25 year survivor of NHL. Possibly the longer ones are still too heavy for the weakened roots is my guess but I think that should get better as time goes on. Your treatments were not that long ago, give it time. If it doesn't play out that way and it all gets better and they stay in after they grow long then maybe think of seeing a dermatologist about it. For me I had a hair thinning issue, well still do actually, that didn't really affect my eyelashes but my eyebrows don't grow fast at all. I don't remember how long ago I had to pluck even one of them.

    I have more problem with my hair on my head thinning though. I saw one dermatologist and he said that my hair would fall out (just more than usual but nothing dramatic) in cycles from shock. He said that this shock cycle can come about through emotional stress or physical stress like with cancer drugs but regardless it is stress on the body that sets the shock cycle into motion. I forget now (chemo brain) how long between cycles of thinning but I think he said every 2 years I might notice it, I think that was the time frame but not sure. Anywho just monitor it and if the follicles don't get stronger think about discussing this with a good dermatologist and see what they think. I found a great natural shampoo that seems to have strengthened my roots but obviously you can't use it near your eyes. Maybe there is another product that is natural for the eyes like a type of eyelash mascara or something that could do the same thing. The product line I use is called Jason. I found it through a naturopath, that is something else you can try - contacting a good naturopath, sometimes they have natural products that really do work I have found. However never use anything til you run it past your doctor because of course there could be interactions.

    All in all bottomline is that I would just wait for a year or so if I were you, til your lashes get healthier and your follicles stronger. If it gets dramatically worse of course then first see the oncologist and perhaps a good dermatologist at that point. I'm sure it's just a matter of time though.

    All the best.

    Blessings,

    Bluerose
  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Things will get hairy ;)

    Hey Susan :).

    I'm sure they'll grow back strong. What BlueRose says makes sense to me.

    Here's some info from Mayo Clinic about hair loss, etc.

    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/CA00037

    Now with the approaching winter, I'm a little concerned about keeping
    warm in "certain places" since all that fell out almost overnight
    after about cycle 3 ;).

    Additionally, I've prided myself on my manly hairy chest and that all
    left too. What I thought were half way decent pecks have turned out
    to be "man boobs" - LOL.

    Hang in there and hugs,

    Jim
  • bluerose
    bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
    jimwins said:

    Things will get hairy ;)

    Hey Susan :).

    I'm sure they'll grow back strong. What BlueRose says makes sense to me.

    Here's some info from Mayo Clinic about hair loss, etc.

    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/CA00037

    Now with the approaching winter, I'm a little concerned about keeping
    warm in "certain places" since all that fell out almost overnight
    after about cycle 3 ;).

    Additionally, I've prided myself on my manly hairy chest and that all
    left too. What I thought were half way decent pecks have turned out
    to be "man boobs" - LOL.

    Hang in there and hugs,

    Jim

    Thanks for the image Jim, lol
    Can always count on you for a good laugh. Humour is healing, keep it up. Sheesh, 'man boobs'. lol.

    Take care.

    Bluerose
  • msbrook2
    msbrook2 Member Posts: 28
    bluerose said:

    Hi Susan
    I am a 25 year survivor of NHL. Possibly the longer ones are still too heavy for the weakened roots is my guess but I think that should get better as time goes on. Your treatments were not that long ago, give it time. If it doesn't play out that way and it all gets better and they stay in after they grow long then maybe think of seeing a dermatologist about it. For me I had a hair thinning issue, well still do actually, that didn't really affect my eyelashes but my eyebrows don't grow fast at all. I don't remember how long ago I had to pluck even one of them.

    I have more problem with my hair on my head thinning though. I saw one dermatologist and he said that my hair would fall out (just more than usual but nothing dramatic) in cycles from shock. He said that this shock cycle can come about through emotional stress or physical stress like with cancer drugs but regardless it is stress on the body that sets the shock cycle into motion. I forget now (chemo brain) how long between cycles of thinning but I think he said every 2 years I might notice it, I think that was the time frame but not sure. Anywho just monitor it and if the follicles don't get stronger think about discussing this with a good dermatologist and see what they think. I found a great natural shampoo that seems to have strengthened my roots but obviously you can't use it near your eyes. Maybe there is another product that is natural for the eyes like a type of eyelash mascara or something that could do the same thing. The product line I use is called Jason. I found it through a naturopath, that is something else you can try - contacting a good naturopath, sometimes they have natural products that really do work I have found. However never use anything til you run it past your doctor because of course there could be interactions.

    All in all bottomline is that I would just wait for a year or so if I were you, til your lashes get healthier and your follicles stronger. If it gets dramatically worse of course then first see the oncologist and perhaps a good dermatologist at that point. I'm sure it's just a matter of time though.

    All the best.

    Blessings,

    Bluerose

    Thank you so much for this
    Thank you so much for this information. I did see my oncologist today and he didn't seem terribly surprised or worried. So - I'll be patient. At least I didn't lose the eyebrows too - - most people don't notice your lashes...but you definitely look funny without eyebrows! I think I'll wait a while before wearing mascara once my current set of lashes grow long!

    - Susan
  • msbrook2
    msbrook2 Member Posts: 28
    jimwins said:

    Things will get hairy ;)

    Hey Susan :).

    I'm sure they'll grow back strong. What BlueRose says makes sense to me.

    Here's some info from Mayo Clinic about hair loss, etc.

    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/CA00037

    Now with the approaching winter, I'm a little concerned about keeping
    warm in "certain places" since all that fell out almost overnight
    after about cycle 3 ;).

    Additionally, I've prided myself on my manly hairy chest and that all
    left too. What I thought were half way decent pecks have turned out
    to be "man boobs" - LOL.

    Hang in there and hugs,

    Jim

    You are too funny!!

    You are too funny!!
  • msbrook2
    msbrook2 Member Posts: 28
    I originally posted this
    I originally posted this last fall. Afterwards, I stopped using mascara for 7 months...I started again just last month, a year after my final chemo treatment. Wouldn't you know, my lashes are starting to fall out again! Just thought I'd re post and see if anyone who is further down the road can give me a sense of when to expect this will end...or if it will!
  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    msbrook2 said:

    I originally posted this
    I originally posted this last fall. Afterwards, I stopped using mascara for 7 months...I started again just last month, a year after my final chemo treatment. Wouldn't you know, my lashes are starting to fall out again! Just thought I'd re post and see if anyone who is further down the road can give me a sense of when to expect this will end...or if it will!

    "Lashing" out ;).
    Hi Susan and welcome back!

    Well, I've been out of chemo now for about the same time and
    my hair has grown back including my eyelashes. I don't use
    mascara (well there was a halloween episode - lol).
    It could be your mascara or other things as well.

    I found this website but there are many more. I would
    discuss it with your doctor as well. I'll let others respond
    who may have had similar experiences.

    http://www.lashmantra.com/pages/Top-7-Reasons-Why-Your-Eyelashes-Fall-Out.html

    Good to hear from you!

    Hugs,

    Jim
  • Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    jimwins said:

    "Lashing" out ;).
    Hi Susan and welcome back!

    Well, I've been out of chemo now for about the same time and
    my hair has grown back including my eyelashes. I don't use
    mascara (well there was a halloween episode - lol).
    It could be your mascara or other things as well.

    I found this website but there are many more. I would
    discuss it with your doctor as well. I'll let others respond
    who may have had similar experiences.

    http://www.lashmantra.com/pages/Top-7-Reasons-Why-Your-Eyelashes-Fall-Out.html

    Good to hear from you!

    Hugs,

    Jim

    Male Perspective
    About a month after ending chemo, my first hair that returned was facial. I grew a nice 'stach, which I wore for about a month, and then decided to shave it off. About a month later, I tried to regrow it, but had no facial hair ! Thereafter, my beard would grow for a while on one side of my face only, and then only on the other side ! This followed a totally random pattern for about a year, but now all hair has returned to "normal," apparantly. My oncologist said he was not surprised at all by this odd coming and going. The best I can figure is that whatever emerges is what you get, and that after enough time most people recoup most of the hair density that they once had. My history on this was essentially unpredictable, and seemed to make no sense whatsoever. My hair before chemo was very coarse, but has been "baby fine" for the two years since. Otherwise, very little long-term difference.

    Remotely on the subject: I had an RN tell me that she knew of a patient whose EYE COLOR changed from chemo, from blue to brown, or the opposite -- I cannot recall which at this time. Some sort of pigmentation issue, I suppose.

    Max
  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107

    Male Perspective
    About a month after ending chemo, my first hair that returned was facial. I grew a nice 'stach, which I wore for about a month, and then decided to shave it off. About a month later, I tried to regrow it, but had no facial hair ! Thereafter, my beard would grow for a while on one side of my face only, and then only on the other side ! This followed a totally random pattern for about a year, but now all hair has returned to "normal," apparantly. My oncologist said he was not surprised at all by this odd coming and going. The best I can figure is that whatever emerges is what you get, and that after enough time most people recoup most of the hair density that they once had. My history on this was essentially unpredictable, and seemed to make no sense whatsoever. My hair before chemo was very coarse, but has been "baby fine" for the two years since. Otherwise, very little long-term difference.

    Remotely on the subject: I had an RN tell me that she knew of a patient whose EYE COLOR changed from chemo, from blue to brown, or the opposite -- I cannot recall which at this time. Some sort of pigmentation issue, I suppose.

    Max

    My eyes are still green/hazel
    The hair on my head was very fine at first but became coarser.
    I actually have less gray hair than I did before (everywhere) - go figure.

    Hmmm, interesting about the eye color - - checking...
    Still green/hazel ;).

    It may be very individual regarding the hair. I actually got used to not
    shaving and kind of liked not having to do that :). I lost my eyebrows
    and eyelashes and looked like "Casper" or "Powder" (if you saw the movie).
    I had to renew my drivers license late November and they wouldn't let me
    wear a hat - so it's a reminder of what I was like then.

    Jim