Where do most people go for chemo? Med. Onc private office or large cancer centerI

Options
antcat
antcat Member Posts: 270
I was wondering where most of you go. I was previously going to a cancer center and getting standard chemo. I'm going to go back to an oncologist near my area as the travel to the city was too much, especially on days I had chemo, plus I took public transportation.

The latest treatment suggested was Alimta. I was wondering if anyone got that. Any side effects, did it seem to work? Were you able to get it at your regular med oncologist office or was it only available through a pharmacy department at a cancer hospital. Thanks.

Comments

• carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Inpatient chemo
    I started off getting chemo in an outpatient setting. The I found some research that said carboplatin did less damage to healthy cells when it was given in the evening. So I took the option of being in the hospital for chemo x 3 treatments.

I was admitted at 5pm and was home by 10pm. For me, it was better also because my daughter would join me after she finished work & we would have dinner then do "art therapy" together.

I was only doing carbo at that time & didn't feel very badly afterwards either. However, I was also doing a LOT of other natural therapies so I can't give all the credit to the later chemo vs the earlier chemo. Apparently, our healthy cells are less active in the evening while cancer never sleeps.

If I was in your situation, I would opt for the closest, most convenient chemo rather that be out late on a bus/subway.

I recall some organization that offered to provide transportation for people doing chemo but can't recall who that was. Anyone know what I'm referring to?
  • Mercedes20870
    Mercedes20870 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hello, I had the same
    Hello, I had the same situation you have about transportation, I don't drive and the Hospital I go for my treatments is 40 min away in the highway, and in public transportation over than an hour ... the first time I got chemos I found out that my Town does the service to take you to the hospital, and they did it for me, the first 6 rounds, every week they took me for my blood work too, for the second time they could not because the changes on the economy, but you should ask anyways, every town is different, here is also a Cancer league and they help me financially couple of times.

Also the ACS has the voluntary service, they might be able to take you there or send you a check, I got some money from them too, call then to ask for your possibilities...

I was in carboplatin/taxol and carboplatin/taxol/avastin, I don't know the drug you are on.

I hope you get the best of the treatment and win the battle against Cancer!

Big hugs,

Mercedes
  • AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    In the infusion center
    My chemo is done at the infusion center at my doctors office. I go every 21 days and I have Taxol/Carbo and Avastin. I have one more round and then I go on a maintance chemo of Avastin every 21 days. Because of the bone pain I am on morphine and oxycodone to control the pain so I am not able to drive my mom, family members or friends take me to all my appointments. The American Cancer Society does have a program that will pick you up for appointments. I don't know if they have anything like that were you are at but it worth checking into.

Anne
  • antcat
    antcat Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Thank you everyone
    for responding. It means alot.