Cancerous lymph nodes

Options
nikies1fl
nikies1fl Member Posts: 5
My mom found out that 8 of 12 lymph nodes were cancerous after her left breast removal. Does that mean its aggressive? Please help I'm new and clueless to this information!

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Type?
    What type BC is she?
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Sorry your mom is going
    Sorry your mom is going through this. This site is a wealth of information and a great place for support and prayers and hugs!

The lymph node involvement is separate from whether it is aggressive or not. It is hard to answer that question with out more information.
    There should be information in the pathology report that has the:
    1. grade of the tumor
    2. the tumor markers
    3. the type (IBC, IDC, ILC etc)

Ask her doctor to go over the report and treatment options. Bring a note pad with your questions and so you can write down the answers. If the doctors answers raise more questions, ask them.

Cindy
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

Sorry your mom is going
    Sorry your mom is going through this. This site is a wealth of information and a great place for support and prayers and hugs!

The lymph node involvement is separate from whether it is aggressive or not. It is hard to answer that question with out more information.
    1. grade of the tumor
    2. the tumor markers

Ask her doctor to go over the report and treatment options. Bring a note pad with your questions and so you can write down the answers. If the doctors answers raise more questions, ask them.

Cindy

A friend
    A friend and classmate of mine was dx over 13 years ago.She had Stage IV cancer. It had spread to 15 lymph nodes.She lived over 12 years.Sure wish it had been many many more but with this type of cancer and that many nodes I am sure she lived longer than was expected.

I am sorry for what your mom is going through.You just found out so there is much more they will have to do.Maybe testing X rays etc to see how serious it really is. Another friend was Stage 3, with 3 lymph nodes.That was over 16 years ago and she is doing fine now.

Wishing the best for your mom. My mom was 21 when dx and lived 60 years.

Lynn Smith
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    lymph nodes.
    There are several movies that you can watch regarding breast cancer that will educate you on the types of cancer, cancer staging, and lymph node involvement. They are 5 to 10 minutes each and they are under Cancer information on the blue part of this site. There will be a place to choose breast cancer. It has been a while since I viewed these but I You should be able to find them relatively easy. They helped me understand a lot about breast cancer.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

Sorry your mom is going

1. grade of the tumor
    2. the tumor markers

Cindy

cindy
    How do you know list below:

1. grade of the tumor
    2. the tumor markers

?
  • mamolady
    Options

cindy
    How do you know list below:

1. grade of the tumor
    2. the tumor markers

?

That is what is on my
    That is what is on my pathology report. I had the surgeon email it to me when she got the results. There is more information but those seem to be what everyone talks about.
    Mine were grades 1 and 2, IDC ER and PR +, HER2 -.
    The grade has something to do with the aggressiveness I think. HER 2 tends to be aggressive, triple negative tends to be aggressive.
    Any body under 50, it is probably a little more determined as it takes more work for cancer to develop in a young person.
    There is more to it but it has been a while since I looked into it.

Cindy
  • nikies1fl
    Options
    mamolady said:

Sorry your mom is going

1. grade of the tumor
    2. the tumor markers

Cindy

Lymph nodes
    Thank you so much for the info! The hardest part for me is that she lives in TN and I live in FL so I cant be there to hear all that the doc says. I will definately ask her to ask the doc to email me the report so I can know more! Thank you sooo much!!!! My prayers are with you and your family! May GOD bless you all!!!
  • nikies1fl
    Options
    cancerous lymph nodes
    she has just had to have her left breast removed plus 12 lymph nodes, 8 of which were cancerous. Shes def gonna have to have chemo and radiation. wont know until the 10th how aggressive it is i guess!...sooooo scared!!!
  • mamolady
    Options
    nikies1fl said:

cancerous lymph nodes
    she has just had to have her left breast removed plus 12 lymph nodes, 8 of which were cancerous. Shes def gonna have to have chemo and radiation. wont know until the 10th how aggressive it is i guess!...sooooo scared!!!

I think the hardest part for
    I think the hardest part for my daughter was that she lives in colorado and I live in california. She called every day. (ok well she did that before chemo too) There were a couple times where it was a bit much for her to be so far away. Try to visit as much as you can, use skype to chat. Send a care package with some fun stuff to help for chemo. You can still be there for her even from a different state.
    I know a woman who had 18 pos nodes! and almost 20 years later she is still around and you would never know she had cancer.
    She is a lucky mom! Just remember you have a lot of people in your corner,
    Cindy
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    nikies1fl said:

cancerous lymph nodes

Having surgery before chemo
    Having surgery before chemo is a good 'sign' as it pretty much rules out the most aggressive form - Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC). With IBC, chemo is almost always used first to get the cancer to form a lump, get margins and shrink so the Surgeon has a chance of getting it. IBC does not form in lumps but rather in bands or nests.

You should be able to call your Mom's Dr. or his/her PA/NP/RN and talk to them about your questions and concerns. She will have to have list you as someone that can be talked to but all that takes is her having your name put on the list if you aren't already.
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Having surgery before chemo
    Having surgery before chemo is a good 'sign' as it pretty much rules out the most aggressive form - Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC). With IBC, chemo is almost always used first to get the cancer to form a lump, get margins and shrink so the Surgeon has a chance of getting it. IBC does not form in lumps but rather in bands or nests.

You should be able to call your Mom's Dr. or his/her PA/NP/RN and talk to them about your questions and concerns. She will have to have list you as someone that can be talked to but all that takes is her having your name put on the list if you aren't already.

Just wanted
    to let you know I'm sending prayers, postive thoughts and Hugs to you and your mom!

She's lucky to have a wonderful, caring daughter like you!

Hugs,
    Debi
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

lymph nodes.
    There are several movies that you can watch regarding breast cancer that will educate you on the types of cancer, cancer staging, and lymph node involvement. They are 5 to 10 minutes each and they are under Cancer information on the blue part of this site. There will be a place to choose breast cancer. It has been a while since I viewed these but I You should be able to find them relatively easy. They helped me understand a lot about breast cancer.

I am sending positive
    I am sending positive thoughts and prayers for your Mother and for you. I know you are scared, but, try to think positive.

We are here for you.

Hugs, Debby
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    debi.18 said:

Just wanted
    to let you know I'm sending prayers, postive thoughts and Hugs to you and your mom!

She's lucky to have a wonderful, caring daughter like you!

Hugs,
    Debi

Sending gentle hugs to both you, and Mom.
    Please have Mom contact Surgeon and get a copy of Path report --. There will be enough medical jargon to confuse the average bear -- but, you will have information on hand to review and research, as oppose to having no paperwork.

Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. Your Mom is lucky to have such a caring daughter. Kudos to you.

Strength, Courage and Hope for a Cure.

Vicki Sam