Need suggestions for altered taste

Options
2»

Comments

• kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I had this very badly
    when I did cisplatin and gemzar. It lasted about a week or so after infusion. I could only drink water if I had lemon in it (otherwse water tasted bitter). I drank a lot of orange juice too. Fresh fruit, cold cucumbers, tomatoes, white toast, tomatoe soup was about all I could eat. And cheese, for some reason. I know it is not the best for you, but maybe my body was craving protein and the taste of cheese was tolerable. I normally eat a lot of rice, fish, steamed vegies and occasional meat, but could not stand the smell of any of that.

I guess the bottom line is that you have to improvise and see what works for you!

Take care,
    kathleen
  • Cforliving life
    Cforliving life Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Know what you mean
    I just finished my last chemo treatment this week--had 6 treatments in all & had the taste from very first treatment. It last about week and half to 2 weeks before I could eat or drink much again. In fact I have the taste right now & nothing taste good--always lose weight after chemo treatment because of this too--but always gained some back the week before my next treatment. Soup & ice cream are the only thing I can eat. Have tried lemon drops, ginger ale nothing seems to get rid of the taste. Just have to hang in there & wait for it to pass.