Another question.....this time about our thyroid

Options
Cathelen72
Cathelen72 Member Posts: 33 Member
Is it common to have issues with our thyroid after radiation to the head and neck area? I am asking because I have been experiencing a lot of side effects that seem common for someone with thyroid issues, also cancer treatment so it's so hard to tell. For example my vision issues, sore muscles, fatigue, being cold, shaking hands. I am 2 months post rads and one of 3 cisplatin and 5FU rounds completed. Do our doctors check our thyroid function or do we need to make it a point to ask them to check. Has anyone had thyroid issues after rads and what was the treatment and most importantly do you feel better?

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Very Common
    Very common for the thyroid to go south Cathleen, especially after radiation to the H&N.

As for testing, it depends on the facility I suppose. On my CBC that I was getting during treatment, it usually wasn't at least not totally.

BTW, I also had three rounds of Cisplatin, Taxotere and 5FU, then seven rounds of Carboplatin concurrent with hte 35 days of rads.

Anyways, the main tests for thyroid are TSH and Free T4.

My TSH has been above normal for about two years now (I'm 2/12 years post treatement). But my T4 is still hanging in there.

I do have fatigue problems in the early evening, and tend to get colder than I used to at times. Hunger is a factor also, I seem to eat more usually because the lack of energy I believe.

It's usually easily treated with meds, like Synthroid...a synthetic hormone producer.

Anyways, have them check you out when you have your blood tests...

Best,
    John
  • SIRENAF42
    SIRENAF42 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Thyroid Burn
    I took about 2 years after my last treatment, when I finally realized I still wasnt feeling 100%, just cold and tired, female hormones were all over the place. Went to an Endocronoligist and she ran test....and found out I had elevated levels of prolactin (which makes your body think you need to breast feed, not what I want to be doing in this state of life) and Hypothyroidism. Radiation had damaged my pitutary gland and my thyroid. Its taken about 9 months to regulate the right amounts of medicine. Bromocriptine to lower my prolactin and Synthroid to help my thyroid.

Once you are done with treatments, give your body time to heal, and have your dr refer you to an endocronologist. Best thing I ever did!!!
  • ac
    ac Member Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Chemo side effects?
    Hi Cathelen72,

Did you check with the doctor if any of these could be side effects from the chemotherapy? For example, feeling cold at the periperals like hands/fingers could also be due to neuropathy (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Sometimes it can be difficult to diagnose. I complained of numbness and tingling sensations in my lower arms and the doctors were initially concerned that it was neuropathy from treatments to my previous cancer. But they now think it is due to bilateral metacarpal syndrome, basically bad posture when using a keyboard and computer.
  • KristynRuth
    KristynRuth Member Posts: 21
    Options
    SIRENAF42 said:

Thyroid Burn
    I took about 2 years after my last treatment, when I finally realized I still wasnt feeling 100%, just cold and tired, female hormones were all over the place. Went to an Endocronoligist and she ran test....and found out I had elevated levels of prolactin (which makes your body think you need to breast feed, not what I want to be doing in this state of life) and Hypothyroidism. Radiation had damaged my pitutary gland and my thyroid. Its taken about 9 months to regulate the right amounts of medicine. Bromocriptine to lower my prolactin and Synthroid to help my thyroid.

Once you are done with treatments, give your body time to heal, and have your dr refer you to an endocronologist. Best thing I ever did!!!

Thyroid Testing
    My Dr made it a point to test my thyroid levels (though he did it about 10 months post treatment) to make sure I wasn't having any issues with it. I would definitely ask your doctor because yes of course your thyroid could have been affected. Wishing you the best!
  • palmyrafan
    palmyrafan Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Thyroid Issues
    I have hypothyroidism (underactive) due to IMRT therapy 15 years ago. My RadOnc told me that I could probaby expect some issues with my thyroid in about 15 years and he nailed it to the month.

I did and still do have issues with fatigue. But not bone-aching tired, just some days I feel a little more tired than others. No two days are the same.

As for the tests and exams? I would talk to your PCP about it especially if they are monitoring your everyday health (mine is). He recommended an Endocrinologist who quickly diagnosed the issues I was having (low thyroid and low adrenals); both due to the radiation therapy.

Every one is different, but I would at least ask your doctor(s) about what tests should be done on a regular basis. It will probably depend on the location of your radiation and whether or not your thyroid or hypothalmus was impacted and to what extent.

Good luck.

Teresa
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Yes, could be thyroid
    I know a couple of people who had thyroid damage from the rads. One had problems shortly after rads were finished. I would ask doctor to test for it.

Debbie
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    ac said:

Chemo side effects?
    Hi Cathelen72,

Did you check with the doctor if any of these could be side effects from the chemotherapy? For example, feeling cold at the periperals like hands/fingers could also be due to neuropathy (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Sometimes it can be difficult to diagnose. I complained of numbness and tingling sensations in my lower arms and the doctors were initially concerned that it was neuropathy from treatments to my previous cancer. But they now think it is due to bilateral metacarpal syndrome, basically bad posture when using a keyboard and computer.

Hi Cathelen
    The answer is no they don’t normally check for Thyroid problems unless you tell them too. With my NPC it took a few years before I had problems with it but we are all different and from what you are saying it sure sounds like your Thyroids is giving some problems.

All the doctor will do is to give you a blood test and depending on your Thyroid level give you a drug like Synthroid. Once on it you will see a different in a few weeks as your body adjusts and your thyroid level come back to some what normal.

All the best
    Hondo
  • tonyb
    tonyb Member Posts: 69
    Options
    oh yes mam, thyroid, you bet ya !
    My docs told me up front that my thyroid would take a hit during treatment, and would likely eventually go out on me. here i am seven months later, and after i told the doc that i was tired of feeling tired and cold all the time, he had my throid levels checked.
    it was a simple blood test and that told the tale, my thyroid was going south a little early. The treatment was a thryoid pill, i have been on them about a week now, and although i am not 100 percent yet, it's sure nice to hear other people complain of being cold when i don't feel cold myself. The feeling tired all the time seems to be a little better, but i am hoping it gets better with time. Oh, the doctors rely on how you feel, to tell them when to check stuff. So, don't think that your complaining to much,tell them when you notice something that ain't right. They may be expecting that you could have thyroid issues later, but aren't expecting it quite so early , so they probably won't bring it up until you do. Best of luck to you !!
    Tonyb
  • francma
    francma Member Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thyroid levels checked
    Yes, absolutely have it checked. It's a procedure that is always done through my healthcare. My radiation oncologist put an order in for me as 20% of patients are affected with a thyroid problem. Mine was checked twice and the last results were abnormally high, which is hypothyroidism. Started my medication last month (Sept) and will always need to take it now. It's something that cannot be corrected with diet. My neck was severely burned from the 33 radiation txs and certain it was the result of a destroyed thyroid.
    They would adjust your medication accordingly with follow up labs. You should feel better. I'd request a series of complete blood work including diabetes. It was also recommended to have a follow up with my dentist since now a high risk for decay. I also had my vision checked and everything was fine.
    Stay positive and keep us posted.

Fran